Photo

Chicago Area

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Poll: Chicago Area

Will Metra Electric ever extend all the way to Kankakee?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Will Metra Southeast Service to Crete ever operate?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Will South Shore Line ever extend all the way to Lowell?

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Swadian Hardcore

Swadian Hardcore

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,391 posts
  • Interests:Transportation, politics, history, business, video games, weapons, machinery, and military tactics.

Posted 04 March 2017 - 06:11 PM

1. Do you think Metra Electric will ever extend to Kankakee?

2. Do you think Metra Southeast Service to Crete will ever operate?

3. Do you think South Shore Line will ever extend to Lowell (or just to Dyer)?

By "ever", I mean whether any of these will ever operate (maybe in 15, 20, 30 years) or whether they most likely will never happen. What is the order of likelihood for these three?

Thank you.

Edited by Swadian Hardcore, 04 March 2017 - 09:20 PM.

MCI 102DL3 SUPERFAN
DEPLORABLE BIGOT
PROUD HATER OF THE D4505, TD925, AND T2145
MCI 102DL3WC INTERCITY MOTORCOACH SUPREMACY Professional Drivers Commited to Safety 1-800-SAFE-BUS SEATING CAPACITY: 50 PASSENGERS PT70414
TAKE IT EASY  TAKE THE GREYHOUND
OPERATOR: GREYHOUND CANADA TRANSPORTATION CORP. CAGARY, AB NSC-000026177, FHA-MC-304126 TARE 15,000 KGS GVW 20,140 KGS
YOU'RE THE ONE WHO'S INTOLERANT, MR. SUB-STANDARD!

#2 MikefromCrete

MikefromCrete

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 08:28 PM

1. South of University Park everything is still pretty rural. IF, and that's a big if, a new  airport is ever built in the Peotone area, then the Electric will run to it, but I don't see any need for any additions.

2. Even I though I live in Crete, I don't  think the Southeast Line will ever be built. Metra Electric serves the area quite well. The Southeast service area is right between the Electric and the South Shore addition (see below), so it's basically redundant. 

3. Work on the South Shore Dyer extension is under way. I expect it to be in operation within 5-10 years. Eventually, even the Hoosiers will see the need to run to Lowell. 

#3 Swadian Hardcore

Swadian Hardcore

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,391 posts
  • Interests:Transportation, politics, history, business, video games, weapons, machinery, and military tactics.

Posted 04 March 2017 - 09:16 PM

1. So, even if the Peotone Airport is built, the Metra Electric probably won't go to Kankakee, as it's farther than Peotone?
2. Some people on other forums seem to think this will get built for "political" reasons, but I agree, it seems redundant to me.
3. Do you think South Shore will really go all the way to Lowell? There isn't that many people in Lowell - only 9k population.

Cheers.

MCI 102DL3 SUPERFAN
DEPLORABLE BIGOT
PROUD HATER OF THE D4505, TD925, AND T2145
MCI 102DL3WC INTERCITY MOTORCOACH SUPREMACY Professional Drivers Commited to Safety 1-800-SAFE-BUS SEATING CAPACITY: 50 PASSENGERS PT70414
TAKE IT EASY  TAKE THE GREYHOUND
OPERATOR: GREYHOUND CANADA TRANSPORTATION CORP. CAGARY, AB NSC-000026177, FHA-MC-304126 TARE 15,000 KGS GVW 20,140 KGS
YOU'RE THE ONE WHO'S INTOLERANT, MR. SUB-STANDARD!

#4 MikefromCrete

MikefromCrete

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 01:11 AM

1. As I said, the area is pretty rural and there's not a lot of development going on, so I doubt if there is much demand. The Kankakee bus authority for a while ran a bus from Kankakee to University Park, but it was  canceled due to a lack of riders.

2. The state of Illinois' fiscal status is horrible right now, I can't see the legislature allocating any money to the Southeast Line.  The further north the line goes, the closer the Southeast Line is to the Electric. Even in Crete, it's less than15 minutes to get to Richton Park. 

3. Northwest Indiana is a hot place to live right now, with a lot of people moving from Illinois due to lower taxes and other concerns. St. John, just south of Dyer, is growing rapidly, along with nearby Crown Point. Lowell will eventually follow. 

#5 John Bredin

John Bredin

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 12:04 PM

2. The state of Illinois' fiscal status is horrible right now, I can't see the legislature allocating any money to the Southeast Line.  The further north the line goes, the closer the Southeast Line is to the Electric. Even in Crete, it's less than15 minutes to get to Richton Park.

The Southeast Service proposal looks a lot like the North Central Line, which languished in the planning stage for years but was finally done. The North Central runs parallel to the Milwaukee North line and in fact crosses it near Libertyville* and many North Central suburbs (Prospect Heights, Wheeling, Buffalo Grove) are convenient to the Union Pacific Northwest Line but that didn't stop the North Central Line in the end.

And the nature of the Chicago commuter lines, where all the Chicago terminals are within a few blocks of the Loop, is that they all get closer together or even merge as they get closer to their Chicago terminals, so that by itself is hardly an argument against the Southeast Service. 

*After the Milwaukee North turns more northwesterly at Rondout, to preclude any wiseguy who would point out that parallel lines don't cross.  :P

#6 Eric S

Eric S

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 01:04 PM

It does sorta/kinda seem like the service areas of the SouthEast Service proposal and NICTD's West Lake proposal overlap somewhat. And given the outlook for transit funding at the local, state, and federal levels, I'd be surprised if both projects go forward to construction anytime soon. I'd hope that there would be a coordinated effort to push whichever one makes more sense in terms of costs and expected ridership, but I'm not really sure how likely that is either.

#7 Andrew

Andrew

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 08:13 PM

What would be a good route for the proposed O'Hare Express Train?

Should it be electrified or DMU?

#8 Eric S

Eric S

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 08:26 PM

What would be a good route for the proposed O'Hare Express Train?

Should it be electrified or DMU?

No route. It would be a waste of transit resources. There are far more important priorities for transit expansions and improvements than adding a third rail service between O'Hare and downtown Chicago.

#9 Andrew

Andrew

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 07:17 AM

Mayor Emanuel wants the O'Hare Express Train.

It could be either be a DMU service (similar to the Toronto Airport rail link) or a fast, electrified train (I'm thinking the Keisei Skyliner in Japan).

#10 Eric S

Eric S

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 08:15 AM

The Mayor wants an O'Hare express train, yes. So did Daley. That doesn't mean it will get built, nor that it should be built.

#11 MattW

MattW

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 09:22 AM

I'm surprised daley wanted an airport anything considering how much he seems to hate airports :angry2:

Forum's official broken record about expanded Georgia passenger service!

#12 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,714 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 12 March 2017 - 11:57 PM

Mayor Emanuel wants the O'Hare Express Train. It could be either be a DMU service (similar to the Toronto Airport rail link) or a fast, electrified train (I'm thinking the Keisei Skyliner in Japan).

The Keisei Skyliner is a private intercity service from Narita to Tokyo that travels much further and faster than anything which would be necessary or appropriate for an ORD-Loop trip. How many trains does ORD really need anyway? If it were up to me I'd simply add more people movers to whisk travelers between the Blue line station and the primary terminal areas. I'd also work to make it extremely simple and easy for tourists to purchase Blue line access as part of their airline ticket instead of having to mess with the ticketing machines. If someone is going to handout taxpayer funded upgrades and extensions maybe they should start with MDW first. Being casually dumped into the elements on the outskirts of a parking garage is a bit of a joke for a major airport in a city like Chicago.

If I had a tumor I'd name it Marla.

#13 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,173 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:13 AM

Just a regular express service to O'Hare Transfer and an extension of the people mover to the station eliminating the annoying shuttle bus ride would be a good and relatively inexpensive start. The people mover extension is already in the works, so most of the work would be on METRA side.

#14 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts
  • Interests:Riding Trains Often!!

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:46 PM

Half hourly off peak service on all Metra lines would be a huge improvement. This includes the route to ohare transfer.

#15 Palmetto

Palmetto

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 05:59 AM

Rhetorical question:  why do other countries value fast, frequent and convenient service from their major cities' airports, and here we settle for either a slow ride, or a two seat ride between the two?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users