22 replies to this topic

#21 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 10:10 PM

If I have an agent that doesn't cooperate, I just say thank you, hang up, wait a few minutes and call back, always getting a different agent.  A couple weeks ago I did just this and the second agent really knew her business, explaining pros and cons, suggesting a work around, but all the time trying to make things work for me.  Make a separate reservation is less complicated.

Trains Traveled On:
Texas Eagle                                      Sunset Limited                            California Zephyr                                Southwest Chief                Empire Builder            Capitol Limited           Lake Shore limited (NYP & BOS)      Crescent
Kentucky Cardinal                             Cardinal                                       Pere Marquette                                  Wolverines                        Lincoln Service            Empire Service          Keystone Service                               Acelas
NE Regionals                                    Pioneer                                        Desert Wind                                       Broadway Limited             Three Rivers                 Coast Starlight                          

Amtrak Miles Logged: over 211,000

#22 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,398 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 01 March 2017 - 10:10 PM

Why bother trying to add it to your original reservation? Just go online (or call) and buy a round trip ticket from SAC to MTZ.

^^^ That. No reason to connect the two.

Also, telling Amtrak that you intend to break the rules and stay in your room past your ticketed destination isn't likely to put them in a helpful mood. Do be aware of the fact that you're asking someone to risk their job by letting you occupy a room you're not ticketed for. It's a personal decision that obviously others are OK with, but I wouldn't ever do it.

Edited by Ryan, 01 March 2017 - 10:11 PM.

Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#23 Guest_Kat_*

Guest_Kat_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2017 - 10:11 AM

I booked my ticket! I can't wait for my first Amtrak trip! Thank you for all your advice and tips.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users