LSL and Albany renovations...can I get an update?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackieTakestheTrain

Lead Service Attendant
Hi everyone!

I am planning my spring trip back home to O-HI-O (sung like the song) and just wondering if they are finally finished with renovations at Albany...

I see that, for now, there are sleepers from Boston again....which is what I like...but just wondering if that may change....

Anyone with any insights to share would be most helpful!

Thanks!

-Jackie

AFAIK, there are no plans for the Sleeper from Boston to be withdrawn again at this time. But of course what may happen in the future is hard to predict. Maybe Thirdrail or someone from inside Amtrak has a better informed insight on this matter.

Jackie, keep in mind that the lsl is not operating with a full service diner. It's an amfleet dinerlite car. Imho it's not the best dining experience on a train.

I do enjoy the sleeping car ride across Massachusetts though.

Jackie, keep in mind that the lsl is not operating with a full service diner. It's an amfleet dinerlite car. Imho it's not the best dining experience on a train.

Steve: Thanks for the headsup! So, to make sure I understand you, there is no full-service diner car all the way from Boston to Chicago or just from Boston to Albany?

While I can probably get by, my husband, who will be travelling with me, might have some issues finding something to eat.

Thanks!

-Jackie

Steve: Thanks for the headsup! So, to make sure I understand you, there is no full-service diner car all the way from Boston to Chicago or just from Boston to Albany?

While I can probably get by, my husband, who will be travelling with me, might have some issues finding something to eat.

Thanks!

-Jackie
The diner is currently not available for the lake shore limited, as Amtrak no longer has enough diners available to maintain the service. It has been replaced by an amfleet cafe car that operates with the New York section of the train, combining with the Boston section at Albany.

However, the food served in said Cafe Car for Sleeper passenger at least is Diner fare similar to what is served on the Cardinal. So yeah, while it is not upto the standard of full service Diner, it is quite a few steps above plain old Cafe meal, just to clarify. This service is available from New York to Chicago, which means that the Boston passengers get that service from Albany to Chicago.

I have actually traveled on the LSL with this slightly downgraded Diner service, and it really is not all that bad as the food aficionados would tend to try to impress upon the otherwise uninformed. But then again food is a personal thing and opinions differ a lot from one to another.

Here is the current Lake Shore Limited Diner menu:

https://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/767/590/Lake-Shore-Limited-Dining-Car-Menu-111516.pdf

The BC/Lounge that pulled from Boston when the train was not joining has remained, is now being sold as BC seating in the front, and is the working lounge for the complete trip. It normally pulls the diner from NYP but it is temporarily replaced with a dinerlite setup due to the shortage of diners. Rolled throug Albany last month on Empire Service, looks like track work is in place, with work still being done to lengthen the platforms. Very encouraging was how much work was done on the second track to SDY, when that is in service, it will be a big help.

Took the LSL to ALB from NYP last night.

Arrived on track 1, Boston section was waiting on track 3.

The south (older) end of the platform was blocked off due to escalator work.

So when I got off the coach section it was on to the new section of the platform.

Track work is either done, or done to the point of being usable and platform work is progressing.

Back