18 replies to this topic

#1 iPat09

iPat09

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:14 PM

Mods, feel free to move this to the video forum if needed, I just wanted to share this in a place where the most people could see and get excited about train travel.

So almost 4 (FOUR!) years ago, my brother and I took an Amtrak trip around the country as we celebrated him graduating high school. Recently, I finally got around to finishing the video that highlights that journey. 

We started in Jackson, MS and traveled to Chicago, Albuquerque, LA, Portland, and then back to Chicago and finally Jackson. It was an incredible trip and I cannot believe it has been so long since it happened. In a few weeks, I am riding the Crescent for the first time from Tuscaloosa to New Orleans, but I really need to start looking into another longer trip, but that is a discussion for another day.

I hope you enjoy this video. It really took me down memory lane while working with footage from four years ago. It is a memory I will always cherish, and I hope watching something like this will help you make that final decision to journey by rail and make some memories of your own.

All Aboard and Soft Landings

#2 EmCee Al

EmCee Al

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:36 PM

Wow!  Spectacular video!

#3 choochoodood

choochoodood

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Interests:Amtrak trains ridden: Lake Shore Limited (11); Pennsylvanian (9); Capitol Limited (5); Empire Builder (2); California Zephyr (1); City Of New Orleans (1); Northeast Direct (2); Cascades (2).

Posted 27 February 2017 - 01:11 PM

The best place to post it is on YouTube. You will get many, many more views there than on this forum.

#4 crabby_appleton1950

crabby_appleton1950

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Interests:Reading all types of fiction and nonfiction; football; travel by all methods

Posted 27 February 2017 - 02:34 PM

Any way to get a larger screen?

You might put it on YouTube, as has been suggested, and a link here as well.

#5 snvboy

snvboy

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Interests:spores, molds, and fungus

Posted 27 February 2017 - 03:01 PM

Click the "V" in the bottom right of the player, or follow this link, for larger video:

http://bit.ly/2m3J8M0

Edited by snvboy, 27 February 2017 - 03:02 PM.

#6 Manny T

Manny T

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 03:38 PM

Yikes. Sell that video to Amtrak for promotion.

Fantastic!

#7 oregon pioneer

oregon pioneer

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts
  • Interests:Cross-country skiing, forestry, botany, solar power, gardening and food!

Posted 27 February 2017 - 03:51 PM

I am also hoping you post it on YouTube. I have a very slow DSL connection here in the sticks of eastern Oregon.. If it was on YouTube, I could just start it loading, and then work on another tab till I could watch it all. Vimeo does not have that capability, it loads about a second or two every minute. If you try to stop it playing, and let it buffer, it gives up on you. So, I've given up on Vimeo.

Jennifer

I'm a "little Old Lady in Tennis Shoes" (LOLITS) from Eastern Oregon. I love to travel by train, though I live way out in the toolies, far from the nearest Amtrak station (Chemult). My station would have been Baker City, but they cancelled the Oregon Pioneer just before I took my first long-distance train trip as an adult. I've taken most trains in the West, but I'm still exploring new routes in the east.

#8 snvboy

snvboy

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Interests:spores, molds, and fungus

Posted 27 February 2017 - 04:15 PM

Well edited video! I like the speed-ramp to jump cut transitions near the end. Good choice of music, too. A definite inspiration to tackle the mountain of action-cam footage I have from a few trips.

#9 ANRR

ANRR

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 04:59 AM

That is a great video! It makes me really look forward to our trip on the
Zephyr in May, also liked the music.

#10 OldCond

OldCond

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Being with friends. Traveling by train.

Posted 28 February 2017 - 03:17 PM

Great video! Thanks for sharing.

#11 iPat09

iPat09

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 04:49 PM

Thanks for all the kind words everyone! For those asking, I do have it on YouTube as well.

#12 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 28 February 2017 - 05:37 PM

Very nice!

John...

29,076 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/<p> 

#13 oregon pioneer

oregon pioneer

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts
  • Interests:Cross-country skiing, forestry, botany, solar power, gardening and food!

Posted 28 February 2017 - 07:31 PM

Thanks for all the kind words everyone! For those asking, I do have it on YouTube as well.

THANK YOU!

Jennifer

I'm a "little Old Lady in Tennis Shoes" (LOLITS) from Eastern Oregon. I love to travel by train, though I live way out in the toolies, far from the nearest Amtrak station (Chemult). My station would have been Baker City, but they cancelled the Oregon Pioneer just before I took my first long-distance train trip as an adult. I've taken most trains in the West, but I'm still exploring new routes in the east.

#14 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,555 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 02 March 2017 - 12:17 PM

Nice editing. I too liked the speed-ramp up to transitions.

I also liked the long cross fades.

What music did you use?

1963U. S. Congress - underground trolley system • Disneyland train (1968/various other dates) • Old Tucson steam train (1969)

Amtrak: California Zephyr Coast Starlight •  Southwest ChiefSunset LimitedTexas Eagle • Illinois Zephyr

. . . . . . . Amtrak miles - 16,383, so far.

#15 iPat09

iPat09

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 06:30 PM

Nice editing. I too liked the speed-ramp up to transitions.

I also liked the long cross fades.

What music did you use?

I used the chainsmokers' remix of Fenech Soler. I got the idea from a gopro video the thunderbirds put together awhile back.

#16 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,842 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:20 PM

Wow!😎

Fantastic job, thanks for sharing!!😊
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#17 oregon pioneer

oregon pioneer

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 06:31 PM

I was able to watch it on YouTube, and I really appreciate your taking the time to put this together and post it. You did a fantastic job!

Jennifer

#18 mediaman

mediaman

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 06:42 AM

Excellent work on the video!  Have fun on the Crescent!

Silver Comet, D&RGW, Desert Wind, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Pacific Surfliner, Southwest Chief, Sunset Limited, Crescent, Lake Shore Limited, Broadway Limited, Capitol Limited, California Zephyr, Silver Star

#19 fixj

fixj

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, Trains

Posted 30 March 2017 - 02:15 PM

Wow! I’m just blown away by this video. Wonderful Job! Amtrak should have this on a continuous loop on their web site. Many thanks for posting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users