Checking Baggage to NYP

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianpmcdonnell17

Conductor
In about two weeks I am travelling TPA-NYP via 92 to WAS, 66 to BOS, 449 to ALB, and 64 to NYP. There will be no overnights in other cities. If I check it straight to NYP it would arrive at 6:40 PM, and I am not arriving until 9:50 PM the next day. According to the Amtrak website, this is longer than the 24 hours allowed so fees would apply. Does anyone know how much these fees would cost? Is it possible to check to WAS, then recheck to NYP on 66 to eliminate the fee? In either of these cases, where would my bags go while I am still travelling and how long would it take to claim them? Looking at OTP, 64 has been arriving early lately and there is a 10:15 LIRR I would like to be on. There are later trains, but if 64 arrives ontime I would really like to make that. Are there any other options I haven't thought of?

I just checked on the website and could not find any reference to 24 or 48 hours. However, the packet with my ticket from a trip last week states that checked baggage must be claimed within 24 hours or fees will apply.

Is it possible for me to ask the employees in TPA to hold the bags and send them on 98 the next day?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just thought of another possibility. Although I am staying on Long Island, I will be returning to NYC daily. My thought is to check it all the way to BOS, then check it back to NYP via 67/65. It would arrive during the night after I arrive, and I could claim it that morning. This would allow me to make the LIRR connection. However, would Amtrak check it on 67/65 if I am holding a multi-city ticket via ALB?

After all this agonizing over how to save a few bucks in luggage storage fees, your luggage might end up in LAX no matter what you decide to do! :p

Back