#1 LookingGlassTie

LookingGlassTie

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 07:31 PM

Hey guys,

How many of you have done (or are working on) Amtrak train sets?   Which Amtrak trains are you most fond of?   Which scale(s) seem to work best for you?

I have a train set (non-Amtrak) that I got for Christmas when I was 12.  It's put away right now, because the power pack failed, and because there's really no suitable space in my house to set it up.

I've had a general interest in model railroading for many years, but I've never gotten into it seriously as a hobby.

Thanks!

#2 CCC1007

CCC1007

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 08:23 PM

Here is my realistic Empire Builder circa 2002...

https://youtu.be/6JktNYOXteo

#3 oldtimer

oldtimer

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Interests:If it rolls, flies, or floats I can fix it, certified A&P mechanic, builder and crew chief for late model stock car, I ride a 1977 GoldWing and have worked a lot on vintage aircraft.

Posted 26 February 2017 - 11:49 PM

I'm a member of both the Will County Model Railroad Club in Joliet IL and the Mountain Home Model Railroad Club in MT.Home Arkansas.  I put together almost all of Amtrak's trains,  as I began working on Amtrak equipment in 1972 until my retirement in 2008. I have a large collection of Amtrak power and rolling stock.  I duplicate almost all of Amtrak's trains , except the Acela.  Oneof my latest projects the Veterans unit and it iss the only unit I had someone else install the DCC and sound. My friend runs  a small train shop in Central Illinois, he is a Gold Star parent so I didn't just by yhe parts but let him install them also

"C:\Users\12-25-12laptop\Pictures\2016-07\IMG_0077 (1).JPG"

#4 cirdan

cirdan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 06:22 AM

I have trains in both HO and N gauges and from different periods and countries as I haven't been sufficiently disciplined with myself and just bought what took my liking. I'm not even sure how much I have in total but the collection has been growing slowly over the years, with the earliest items going back to my childhood.

I guess at some point I will have to go through it and sell the various items that don't interest me anymore.

I don't have any fixed layout but have a big box of track parts and when I take a fancy to running some trains I will clip together something ad-hoc. Especially when i  need to cheer myself up. So I will do anything from a huge oval to just sit back and watch it run, to complicated switching yards that require a lot of hands on operation.

I try not to mix different periods or countries though within one operating session, although sometimes it will happen.

I want to build a proper layout with scenery etc eventually. It's really a question of finding the time, and also of planning it properly. I have sketched many layouts on paper, but was never really totally satisfied.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users