Amtrak services and timing of federal budget

3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_MEP_*

Guest_MEP_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2017 - 06:18 PM

Greetings from England. I'm contemplating a trip to the USA, travelling mostly by train once I'm there. Reading this thread, I get the impression that there may be no need to panic about the future of Amtrak, but nothing is certain; if there's any risk of cuts it seems that it might be wise not to leave it too late before I visit. As I understand it, the new federal government budget starts in October. Does this mean that I can safely assume that whatever budget the politicians in Washington come up with for 2017-2018, Amtrak services in September this year will be much the same as they are now?

#2 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,122 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 23 February 2017 - 06:27 PM

Yes, that's a reasonably safe bet.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#3 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 02:38 PM

The Continuing Resolution kept everything the same, no changes.  Based on the promises to improve and expand the US infrastructure, this would include the railroads.  I do not see any issues threatening Amtrak.  In discussing passenger rail, Amtrak, with a couple US Representatives, they agreed with me that the US needs a passenger rail system for the possibility that another 9/11 type catastrophe could again take out the air travel for days, national security.  Of course not everyone feels this way, but they did.

Trains Traveled On:
Texas Eagle                                      Sunset Limited                            California Zephyr                                Southwest Chief                Empire Builder            Capitol Limited           Lake Shore limited (NYP & BOS)      Crescent
Kentucky Cardinal                             Cardinal                                       Pere Marquette                                  Wolverines                        Lincoln Service            Empire Service          Keystone Service                               Acelas
NE Regionals                                    Pioneer                                        Desert Wind                                       Broadway Limited             Three Rivers                Southwest Chief        Coast Starlight                                    Empire Service

Amtrak Miles Logged: over 197,000

#4 Guest_MEP_*

Guest_MEP_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2017 - 05:45 PM

Thankyou for your replies.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users