Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

New Points System - Gone are the days of the LONG Rides?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 VentureForth

VentureForth

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,464 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:19 AM

I'm not necessarily talking about the Slidell Loophole, but there used to be some awesome three-zone trips that one could take using Amtrak points. Now with points based on distance and demand, can one really enjoy a long distance ride in a room using minimal points?

14,223 Amtrak Miles. Many more to go.
Completed Routes: Capitol Limited, Palmetto
Also Ridden: Carolinian, Crescent, Pacific Surfliner, Piedmont, Southwest Chief, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Texas Eagle

#2 Tennessee Traveler

Tennessee Traveler

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:45 AM

I'm not sure what you consider "minimal points", but I am happy that I get a more than three zone ride New Orleans to DC on the Crescent, DC to Chicago on the Capitol Limited, and Chicago to Emeryville on the California Zephyr in April for 46,000 points all in roomettes.  

#3 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,092 posts
  • Interests:Planning my next trip

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:16 PM

But back under AGR 1.0, that same trip only cost 35,000 points for 3 zones in a roomette. And that is 46,000 is based on getting the booking at the right time (price). It could have cost like 80k under 2.0 instead!:o
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#4 VentureForth

VentureForth

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,464 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 01:23 PM

You also get penalized for having a 2nd person. :(

Also Ridden: Carolinian, Crescent, Pacific Surfliner, Piedmont, Southwest Chief, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Texas Eagle

#5 dlagrua

dlagrua

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:Car collecting, Train Travel, Model RR, Visiting Historical sights, Cooking, Antiques, but above all love for friends and family.

Posted 21 February 2017 - 05:00 PM

AGR 2.0 is what it is . The benefit to the old system is that you could go coast to coast for a set amount of points. It was a three zone trip and  just a few years back we went round trip  PHL-Seattle for 120,00 points, (bedroom all the way) . Today that trip would be 185,000 points. Try accumulating that amount of points!!!!!

Short of LD trips AGR 2.0 on short distance trips can be better. The other thing is that you get 3 pts per dollar spent on train trips if you subscribe to the Chase AGR world card. In summation there are some benefits to AGR 2.0 but its not like it used to be.  If you do a search this subject has been beat to death.

#6 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,760 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 21 February 2017 - 05:09 PM

That is what I was thinking about how thoroughly this horse has been beaten in how many different ways. Has something really new happened to justify yet another thread, or is it that people want to beat the same horse some more with the same sticks, or suffer from loss of memory :P

#7 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,452 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 21 February 2017 - 05:22 PM

Has something really new happened to justify yet another thread

Nope.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#8 Carolina Special

Carolina Special

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 07:45 PM

It would be interesting to see the impact on Amtrak profitability ( or reduced losses) since 2.0 was effective. Logically the financial department has calculated this.

Not that I expect those details to ever be released publicly, at least in any useful detail.

#9 Sauve850

Sauve850

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Interests:Fly Fishing, Scuba Diving, Travel and Adventure

Posted 21 February 2017 - 08:06 PM

I am traveling in a bedroom LAX to CHI for under 30,000 pts in August.

#10 Tennessee Traveler

Tennessee Traveler

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:45 PM

The NOL-DC-CHI-EMY trip I am taking is more than 3 Zones.  To my way of thinking, it is beginning in Zone 2(Central) traveling into Zone 1(EAstern), then traveling back into Zone 2(Central, and then on thru Zone3(Western).  Of course AGR 2.0 does not have zones anymore.  

I agree that it is what it is and further discussion will not change anything.  My happy news is that during 2016 I earned Select Plus so will be earning more bonus points through Feb 28, 2018.  Probably never reach that level again since all my Amtrak travel is personal mostly LD in sleeper since I live in un-served Nashville, TN.

#11 VentureForth

VentureForth

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,464 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 02:44 PM

Despite my headline, the question of the OP was fresh. Has anyone figured out the best bang for their points to take long rides with the least amount of points? It's a topic can can be refreshed frequently based on recent experiences.

I'm not an idiot. I know that 2.0 sucks vs 1.0 for long redemptions. Just interested in knowing what folks have been able to get - based on season, booking in advance, etc.

You can't price out a multi-city trip with points any more, so you have to talk with AGR for every trip you consider. It's a pain the in the butt. Other's experiences are welcome.

Glad to see the rampant narcissistic snarky attitudes haven't changed in a decade.

Edited by VentureForth, 22 February 2017 - 02:44 PM.

#12 VentureForth

VentureForth

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,464 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 02:48 PM

The NOL-DC-CHI-EMY trip I am taking is more than 3 Zones.  To my way of thinking, it is beginning in Zone 2(Central) traveling into Zone 1(EAstern), then traveling back into Zone 2(Central, and then on thru Zone3(Western).  Of course AGR 2.0 does not have zones anymore.  

I agree that it is what it is and further discussion will not change anything.  My happy news is that during 2016 I earned Select Plus so will be earning more bonus points through Feb 28, 2018.  Probably never reach that level again since all my Amtrak travel is personal mostly LD in sleeper since I live in un-served Nashville, TN.

If you don't mind me asking, what are they charging, points wise for this?

#13 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,760 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 02:54 PM

Don't tell me you forgot to read the post immediately following your OP which contains the answer to your question? ;)

#14 Tennessee Traveler

Tennessee Traveler

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 10:37 AM

I paid 46,000 points for this trip - roomette on all three trains, 002 on Crescent and 003 on Capitol Limited and California Zephyr.  

#15 Meat Puppet

Meat Puppet

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 05:08 AM

I miss my 3 train,  4 night trips for 19000 points

#16 Dan O

Dan O

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 02:21 PM

I thought there was going to be a way to buy tickets with points and cash that was to come out last year? Did that ever happen? Or is it just pay for whatever you can with points on one ticket and get another one for the part of the trip you need to pay cash for?

Amtrak miles 13487
Pre-Amtrak train miles 6678

#17 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,760 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 03:04 PM

I thought there was going to be a way to buy tickets with points and cash that was to come out last year? Did that ever happen? Or is it just pay for whatever you can with points on one ticket and get another one for the part of the trip you need to pay cash for?

Or use cash to buy the balance of points needed.

This is nothing like the points + cash ticket, hotel room reservation and upgrade in hotels and airlines that are offered by various vendors.

#18 me_little_me

me_little_me

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 03:52 PM

I believe it was "soon" or "by the end of the year".

"Soon" is in the eye of the beholder. For Amtrak, that can be a very long time IMHO.

"by the end of the year" does not specify which year.

But in any case, Amtrak made a lot of statements about the new program before going from 1.0 to 2.0 and not all of them were true.

#19 tomfuller

tomfuller

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts
  • Interests:Trains, geocaching, travel.

Posted 25 February 2017 - 04:33 PM

I did my own version of points plus cash for the trip with my wife in late May early June. Winnemucca to Chicago in a roomette with my wife's points. LSL overnight in Business Class CHI to ERI (cash).

Breakfast in Erie before picking up an Enterprise rental car (earning more AGR points).  Returning the car 11 days later and waiting at the ERI station until nearly 2AM for the westbound LSL.

ERI to CHI (Business class for cash). Chicago to Omaha in coach (cash). Omaha (11 PM switch to a Roomette) Points from Omaha to Glenwood Springs. Coach seats from Glenwood Springs back to WNN.

At least I have free parking in Winnemucca.

I'll be going back to work for the USFS on June 5. My summer job is as a lookout.

#20 Meat Puppet

Meat Puppet

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 02:41 AM

I'm not necessarily talking about the Slidell Loophole, but there used to be some awesome three-zone trips that one could take using Amtrak points. Now with points based on distance and demand, can one really enjoy a long distance ride in a room using minimal points?

dont rub it in.... im still feeling thr pain.............im relapshing...i need my  train 4 night cross country trips bacl for 18.000 miles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users