First Class Meals

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is no "first class" on Amtrak long-distance trains. Do you mean the meal included with a sleeper ticket? That would be served in the dining car.

When in the the Sleeping Car (Which some cars still have the "First Class" sign on or near the door), all meals are included in the Dining Car, with the exception of alcoholic beverages and tipping. Anything purchased at the Cafe is not included (exception being the Star and Cardinal where Sleeper meals are served in the Cafe).

When in the the Sleeping Car (Which some cars still have the "First Class" sign on or near the door), all meals are included in the Dining Car, with the exception of alcoholic beverages and tipping. Anything purchased at the Cafe is not included (exception being the Star and Cardinal where Sleeper meals are served in the Cafe).
Meals in the cafe car are not included for Silver Star sleeper passengers.

Included meals in the Dining Car (but none in the café) include:

For breakfast - any entree, side of meat (if desired), juice and beverage

For lunch - any entree, beverage and desert (if desired)

For dinner - any entree, side salad (if desired), beverage and desert (if desired)

Alcoholic beverages and tipping are additional.

For dinner - any entree, side salad (if desired), beverage and desert (if desired)

Thank you. That is exactly what I was looking for.

Extra tip... If you ask for water, they will give you a cup of water. If you ask for a bottled water, you'll get that. It seems obvious but I've been seated with fellow sleeper passengers and ordered a bottled water and others got a cup and when they asked the server said "well you didn't ask for bottled water."

Desert is only offered on the Sunset Limited & SWC but all the meals include dessert! :giggle:

Extra tip: you can get a "refill", which is actually a second, full beverage.

They bring the soda in a can, so I drink one during lunch and then ask for a "refill" to bring back to my room.

There is no "first class" on Amtrak long-distance trains. Do you mean the meal included with a sleeper ticket? That would be served in the dining car.
It's obvious that's what he's asking about. The pedantry about terminology is uncalled for.
It implies that there's a first class meal. There's nothing served in the dining car that can't be purchased by a coach or business class passenger.

Do remember to leave a gratuity. If one returns to the Dining Car again during a trip, one will be remembered.

Desert is only offered on the Sunset Limited & SWC but all the meals include dessert! :giggle:
Desert is also offered on the California Zephyr, along with dessert.

I don't know what train you will be traveling on but some Amtrak routes serve good food and in some cases some fresh prepared food, On other routes you will get a reheated convection oven meal served in the cafe car. Last August (PHL-DEN DEN-PHL) we rode the Cardinal, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited. The Cardinal serves reheated food. It is acceptable, better than fast food, but not as good as that served on the CL and CZ. In the past few years the dining car menu's have been cut down some but its still not bad. Go to Amtrak.com and view the sample menu for your route.

Desert is also offered on the California Zephyr, along with dessert.
Desert too on the Texas Eagle - 3 days a week.

The train that runs bewteen LAX and SAS is part Sunset Limited and part Texas Eagle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Every train I have been on with a sleeper has offered dessert and had salads available on demand. As for tipping, yes the servers remember, often I received extras, like a coffee in the morning to take with me when I was going to the SSL before returning to the sleeper. Most servers appreciated the tips, unfortunately, like some restaurants, some expect the tip without doing anything.

I'm amazed and dumbfounded at the number of people I've seen leave no tip dining on Amtrak. Even lousy service usually prompts a very small "tip".
Why would you support "lousy service" with any tip ? Amtrak website says tipping is not required. Tipping is 100% voluntary in the USA. You can tip all you want, but don't try to impose your personal habits on others .

Last edited by a moderator:
Q: Why would you support "lousy service" with any tip ? Amtrak website says tipping is not required. Tipping is 100% voluntary in the USA. You can tip all you want, but don't try to impose your personal habits on others .

A: Working a dining car is not as easy as some believe.Besides having to juggle a tray or hands full of food on a moving train, waiters/table servers/FSA's have to work multiple meal services up to three times daily.. At times they are understaffed, overloaded and always dependent on how the kitchen crew gets the meals out. We tip more or less dependent on the level of courtesy, but we always tip. It bothers us when we see people leaving nothing on the table. Those people are just stingy cheapskates. You pay hundreds of dollars for a sleeper and can part with a few bucks? How could anyone be that cheap?

I am extremely pro gratuity and have sharply criticized people at times for what I have seem as trying to find an excuse not to tip. I would however, probably substitute the word rude for lousy. Many times, what is perceived as lousy service is not the fault of the staff, they may be shoveling against the tide and doing their best. Rude is never acceptable,

Back