• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#41 zepherdude

zepherdude

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Interests:I love Amtrak, the old Illinois Central and RR nostalgia dayz. I would live on a train if I could. Down with airplanes! Up with Passenger Trains!

Posted 20 February 2017 - 02:34 PM

Wish some kind soul would post links to the other 4 or 5 recent threads dealing with gratuities.  Same blather repeated every 6 months or so begins to wear thin after a while - but that's just me.  Carry on if you must.

I totally agree with you! How many times I have read about lousy service.....

I have traveled, Acela, Maple Leaf, California Zephr, Capital Limited, Lake Shore Limited, Empire Builder, Coast Starlight, Amtrak California, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, City of Miami, The Seminole, Florida East Coast and the Panama Limited, Texan Dinner Train, Wabash Canon Ball, New York Subway, Metro North, LIRR, San Francisco Cable Cars, Market Streetcar, St. Louis Streetcars, Prague Trams, (Prazske Tramvaje), Moscow Subway, (Московский метрополитен,) Krakow Glowny, Krakow Plaszow

>>>>>>> Why let your trip fail, always ride the Amtrak Rail! <<<<<<

#42 wallylegs

wallylegs

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 08:50 PM

It is extremely confusing for OS travellers, to tip or not to tip.

When on the SWC we asked our SCA what was the norm, and he explained to us that it was not necessary,

however if we very happy with the service, a few dollars would suffice. Steven was a great SCA.

So on that journey Dining Car staff were tipped according to our level of satisfaction

When on the EB, my level of satisfaction declined somewhat, so I was less forthcoming.

When on the CS , my level of satisfaction dissolved completely and I did not tip anyone

on that train at all. As I was alone on the last two journeys it just fell to me decide, I decided I wanted them to know

I was not happy with the service at all.

#43 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,117 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 27 February 2017 - 09:00 PM

Wish some kind soul would post links to the other 4 or 5 recent threads dealing with gratuities.  Same blather repeated every 6 months or so begins to wear thin after a while - but that's just me.  Carry on if you must.

It's a shame you have someone holding a gun to your head forcing you to read this blather.

Or maybe you exercise from free will and refrain from reading content you don't find worth your time?
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#44 niemi24s

niemi24s

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 11:06 PM

It's a shame you have someone holding a gun to your head forcing you to read this blather.

Or maybe you exercise from free will and refrain from reading content you don't find worth your time?

<Yawn!>

#45 VentureForth

VentureForth

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,352 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 12:00 PM

There is no "first class" on Amtrak long-distance trains.  Do you mean the meal included with a sleeper ticket?  That would be served in the dining car.

It's obvious that's what he's asking about. The pedantry about terminology is uncalled for.

Not it wasn't. There's first class on Acela with true first class meals. And there is sleeper class on the long distance trains which used to be called first class.

So the question, being vague, called for a bit of pedantry - though the answers are similar with the exception of the inclusion of adult beverages.

Edited by VentureForth, 01 March 2017 - 12:01 PM.

14,223 Amtrak Miles. Many more to go.
Completed Routes: Capitol Limited, Palmetto
Also Ridden: Carolinian, Crescent, Pacific Surfliner, Piedmont, Southwest Chief, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Texas Eagle

#46 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,117 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 12:08 PM

Acela doesn't have anything that can be called a "dining room". Was clear with a little bit of interpretation that he was talking about a LD train.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#47 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,508 posts
  • Interests:Mechanized Travel

Posted 01 March 2017 - 01:52 PM

Technically Amtrak dining car menus still refer to "first class meal packages" in the fine print about alcoholic beverages, although I would presume that the reference is little more than an anachronism at this point.

Edited by Devil's Advocate, 19 March 2017 - 08:54 PM.

I'd rather be a glass half empty than a glass half fool.

#48 Cho Cho Charlie

Cho Cho Charlie

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,788 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Starships

Posted 01 March 2017 - 04:57 PM

Acela doesn't have anything that can be called a "dining room". Was clear with a little bit of interpretation that he was talking about a LD train.

+1

Plus, I got a bit of a chuckle with the passing thought that any meal served by Amtrak, would be called a "First Class Meal" by any sane person.  :giggle:
Me

Proud supporter of the Trails to Rails program.

#49 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 12:19 AM

Back when Sleepers were called First Class, the Amtrak Meals were totally different.  I remember meals like the 2" thick juicy pork chop dinner, or the thick Prime Rib. 

Trains Traveled On:
Texas Eagle                                      Sunset Limited                            California Zephyr                                Southwest Chief                Empire Builder            Capitol Limited           Lake Shore limited (NYP & BOS)      Crescent
Kentucky Cardinal                             Cardinal                                       Pere Marquette                                  Wolverines                        Lincoln Service            Empire Service          Keystone Service                               Acelas
NE Regionals                                    Pioneer                                        Desert Wind                                       Broadway Limited             Three Rivers                Southwest Chief        Coast Starlight                                    Empire Service

Amtrak Miles Logged: over 197,000

#50 crabby_appleton1950

crabby_appleton1950

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Interests:Reading all types of fiction and nonfiction; football; travel by all methods

Posted 02 March 2017 - 09:09 PM

There is no "first class" on Amtrak long-distance trains.  Do you mean the meal included with a sleeper ticket?  That would be served in the dining car.

Thank you for the clarification.  I thought perhaps there was a class of service with which I was unfamiliar.  :)

#51 crabby_appleton1950

crabby_appleton1950

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Interests:Reading all types of fiction and nonfiction; football; travel by all methods

Posted 03 March 2017 - 05:30 PM

Is it possible to leave personal attacks out of the responses?

#52 anumberone

anumberone

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 06:48 AM

If I may leave a "tip" here, please don't hijack the previous subject.

#53 crabby_appleton1950

crabby_appleton1950

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 06:29 PM

If I may leave a "tip" here, please don't hijack the previous subject.

I'm referring to personal attacks in THIS thread.

#54 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,117 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 06:53 PM

As always has been, and ever shall be, if you think someone's posts are appropriate, you'll have much better luck contacting the staff than derailing the thread.
Posted Image

#55 Eric S

Eric S

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 11:47 PM

Might want to stick to contacting staff for posts you think are inappropriate, though...

#56 Rover

Rover

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 02:37 PM

I suggest a "sticky" for the combined tipping thread. Some people just don't know how to search.

I think it is absolute mythology that there's any national system that is profitable. And I think the naysayers just have to get over it. ~ Amtrak President Alex Kummant ~ June 2008

I've ridden Amtrak on:

~ The Empire Builder ~ The Coast Starlight ~ The Texas Eagle ~ The Sunset Limited ~

Videos: HD Moods ~ Trains * Scenic National Parks ~ Great Train Rides * All Aboard ~ Great American Railroads 

Books: Time-Life - The Old West ~ The Railroaders * Rail Ventures - 4th Edition 

#57 Skyline

Skyline

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:25 PM

It's obvious that's what he's asking about. The pedantry about terminology is uncalled for.

When I read it initially, I thought perhaps the question was dealing with the QUALITY of the food. As in: the food on trains #1 and #2 -- The Canadian -- are truly first class dining, but is Amtrak's diner food comparable?

#58 Maverickstation

Maverickstation

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Equality.

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:32 PM

When I read it initially, I thought perhaps the question was dealing with the QUALITY of the food. As in: the food on trains #1 and #2 -- The Canadian -- are truly first class dining, but is Amtrak's diner food comparable?

No, The Canadian is different operation all together, that train has a true first class dining car, year round, for the Sleeper Class Plus and Prestige Class passengers.

The menu is pretty upscale, and the choices are far from run of the mill.

Coach class has a cafe menu, on a year round basis, similar to what is offered on the Silver Star, and during the summer peak there is a coach class diner with food cooked on board.

The Ocean serves food from local caterers, but it is still re-heated, and plated on board in a restaurant manner.

Ken

The poster formally known as Peconicstation.

Location: Boston MA, the greatest city in America, and home of South Station, Amtrak's best large city station.

#59 Triley

Triley

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:30 PM

No, The Canadian is different operation all together, that train has a true first class dining car, year round, for the Sleeper Class Plus and Prestige Class passengers.

The menu is pretty upscale, and the choices are far from run of the mill.

Coach class has a cafe menu, on a year round basis, similar to what is offered on the Silver Star, and during the summer peak there is a coach class diner with food cooked on board.

The Ocean serves food from local caterers, but it is still re-heated, and plated on board in a restaurant manner.

Ken

And if everyone was willing to pay the fares asked on The Canadian, I'm sure Amtrak would put that quality of food in our diners.

That being said, I'm even looking forward to dinner and breakfast on The Ocean next month.

My posts are my own opinions and do not represent the views of my employer in any way, shape, or form. ~ Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

#60 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 08:18 PM

The food itself on the Canadian is only a step above Amtrak full service diners in my opinion. What really sets it apart is the class. You never see employees sitting at the tables, tables filled with random odds and ends etc. And the way the steward comes around and recommends wines or drink specials just gives you the feeling of being in an upscale establishment. 

Amtrak: - Coast Starlight*, Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin*, Cascades*, Empire Builder*, California Zephyr*, Southwest Chief*, City of New Orleans*, River Cities, Illinois Zephyr*, Wolverine, Cardinal, Capitol Limited*, Lake Shore Limited, Downeaster, Acela Express*, Crescent*, Carolinian*, Silver Star*, Silver Meteor*, Maple Leaf* Texas Eagle.

VIA: - Canadian*

Iowa Pacific - Hoosier State*, and City of New Orleans Pullman*.   

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 1 anonymous users

Devil's Advocate