Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Construction of Roanoke Amtrak Platform

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 WestBerkeleyFlats

WestBerkeleyFlats

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 06:13 PM

Bristol is in the plans, but in general there are two issues:
(1) Bristol itself is not big enough to support a train.  Knoxville might be, but time becomes a serious issue.  Feeder buses are another question, too.

I don't know much about how Amtrak factors population centers into their decisions, but ... 

• Roanoke MSA (metropolitan statistical area) population, according to a quick google is in the 300,000 range. 
  • Tri-Cities TN CSA (combined statistical area) population (of which Bristol is a part) is over 500,000, and Bristol is ~90 minutes from Asheville, N.C., an MSA of another 500,000 people. The Bristol train station is in Bristol VA just feet from the state line, and the beautiful Bristol VA/TN sign (maybe you've seen it in the Geico commercial). 
  • Knoxville MSA is over a million population. 

Virginia doesn't stop at Roanoke, y'all. 

Additionally, I board the Silver Star in S.C. at 2am for my Florida trips, a 3.5 hr drive from my home. I have to leave the house at 3am for many flights that depart 5am-6am. We put up with the ridiculous requirements for air already, so why not rail. 

The Roanoke MSA is #160 according to Wikipedia.  The Kingsport-Bristol MSA is #162.  Adding Johnson City to the CSA increases things, but at that point you might as well add Lynchburg to Roanoke.  https://en.wikipedia...atistical_Areas

#42 LookingGlassTie

LookingGlassTie

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 06:42 PM

Would it be feasible, from an infrastructure standpoint, to create a connection route between Roanoke and either the Crescent or Cardinal route (or both)?

Or would that be redundant, given that both the Cardinal and Crescent go to WAS, as does the Northeast Regional?

"And you know that notion just crossed my mind............"

#43 Dixie

Dixie

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 07:37 PM

@WestBerkeleyFlats

I don't know how familiar you are with Northeast Tennessee, but there isn't one person who divides the Tri-Cities of Johnson City / Kingsport / Bristol into separate entities for any reason except for taxes and public services. Bristol, Johnson City, and Kingsport are each separated by only about 20 miles, far less if you count corridor annexation, and there are no geographical barriers such as mountains between them. You can't say the same for Roanoke and Lynchburg, which are 50+ miles apart and have this lovely range called the Blue Ridge between them. 

#44 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,421 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 03:46 AM

Would it be feasible, from an infrastructure standpoint, to create a connection route between Roanoke and either the Crescent or Cardinal route (or both)?

Or would that be redundant, given that both the Cardinal and Crescent go to WAS, as does the Northeast Regional?

It would be redundant.  From Roanoke, change trains in Lynchburg for the Cardinal to the south; change trains in Charlottesville for the Cardinal to the west.   It may be worthwhile tweaking the schedule to make these connections more possible, but nothing more.

--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#45 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 06:35 AM

About Bristol.  Best N&W schedule Roanoke - Bristol was 3:50.  Now NS runs many more than the 6 freights N&W had.

http://www.streamlin...sean195212.html

#46 LookingGlassTie

LookingGlassTie

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 02:01 PM

@ neroden

Gotcha

"And you know that notion just crossed my mind............"

0 user(s) are reading this topic