So I am scheduled to take the California Zephyr train 5 from Chicago to Reno February 13. I received an email two days ago saying that there is a service disruptions and that alternate transportation is being provided. Customer service said that the is flooding in Elko and tracks are submerged. They said we would get off in Salt Lake City and there would be buses waiting there. They said this was plan b incase the tracks were not clear by the time we got there.
A day later received another email saying the train had been cancelled and no alternate transportation is being provided and to call them to discuss options. So called them up and first person didnt know what was going on and to call back later?(lol). So hung up and got a different rep. This rep said that the plan is to still get off at salt lake and take the bus that the train isnt cancelled. So this had me confused, as the email said cancelled and the rep said she sees nothing indicating that. So doubting this called again few hours later and got a different rep. They said the same thing about getting off in salt lake and taking the bus to Reno.
My question is, should I take their word on this? Why would I get an email saying it was cancelled and no alternate transportation is being provided but they say there will be buses waiting in Salt Lake? I am coming from new york and my connection is in Chicago so I don't want to leave unless I know for sure this train is not cancelled. Was going to call again in the morning to confirm yet again. Thanks.