• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#41 bmjhagen9426

bmjhagen9426

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Interests:Computers, riding trains/travel, watching movies/sporting events, listening to music/speeches/talk radio, reading

Posted 28 February 2017 - 10:30 PM

This train is now almost 12 hours late.

No doubt it will have a late departure.

...While it could be mechanical, it is also possible that the delay was caused by some freight interference.

Freight interference is the most likely culprit. Since the Feather River route is still closed (if I am right), UP has to divert its freight traffic, resulting in heavier traffic.

Just a 23 year old college student who likes to travel by train.

Trains taken (US): Coast Starlight, San Joaquins, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Hoosier State, SP4449 excursion 2015

Commuter/Transit Rail (US): Metra, TriMet, SoundTransit, Muni, LA MetroRail

Trains/Transit taken (Outside US and Canada): KNR, SMSC, SMRT, IRTC, DJET, DX LINE, EVERLINE, HUMETRO, METRO9

Ambus trips: BFD-LAX, EMY-SFC

Current Amtrak mileage: 17251 miles plus 130 Ambus miles

#42 bmjhagen9426

bmjhagen9426

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Interests:Computers, riding trains/travel, watching movies/sporting events, listening to music/speeches/talk radio, reading

Posted 28 February 2017 - 10:34 PM

Also, note to moderators: Since this discussion has turned into a general delays and disruption regarding the CZ in general, and is no longer about the specific disruption about the CZ being annulled in SLC, it might be a good idea to change the title. What do you think about changing the title?

Trains taken (US): Coast Starlight, San Joaquins, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Hoosier State, SP4449 excursion 2015

Trains/Transit taken (Outside US and Canada): KNR, SMSC, SMRT, IRTC, DJET, DX LINE, EVERLINE, HUMETRO, METRO9

#43 Rover

Rover

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 12:16 AM

...While it could be mechanical, it is also possible that the delay was caused by some freight interference.

Freight interference is the most likely culprit. Since the Feather River route is still closed (if I am right), UP has to divert its freight traffic, resulting in heavier traffic.

But the Amtrak train gets to "cut in" to any freight line," right??

I think it is absolute mythology that there's any national system that is profitable. And I think the naysayers just have to get over it. ~ Amtrak President Alex Kummant ~ June 2008

I've ridden Amtrak on:

~ The Empire Builder 1981 ~ The Coast Starlight 1981 ~ The Texas Eagle ~ The Sunset Limited ~

Videos: HD Moods ~ Trains * Scenic National Parks ~ Great Train Rides * All Aboard ~ Great American Railroads 

Books: Time-Life - The Old West ~ The Railroaders * Rail Ventures - 4th Edition 

#44 bmjhagen9426

bmjhagen9426

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 12:17 AM

What if there's too much freight traffic? That might be the case.

#45 CCC1007

CCC1007

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 01:23 AM

Not quite, the Amtrak train still has to obey the line side signal system, in this case controlled out of Omaha, NE, and the freight dispatcher decides who goes when and where.

#46 scoostraw

scoostraw

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 08:16 AM

I wonder if they are turning the train at Sacramento.  It looks like 5 never made it to Davis.

#47 scoostraw

scoostraw

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 09:16 AM

Looks like #6 is going to depart over 5 hours late from Emeryville today.

#48 PRR 60

PRR 60

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,517 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 09:27 AM

Also, note to moderators: Since this discussion has turned into a general delays and disruption regarding the CZ in general, and is no longer about the specific disruption about the CZ being annulled in SLC, it might be a good idea to change the title. What do you think about changing the title?

I like it. Done.

#49 greatcats

greatcats

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 09:53 AM

Arrived Emeryville 6:04 am 13'54" late. Due to go east at 2:30 pm. They must have served the gourmet beef stew dinner last night. Yum?
I was a commuter railroad employee in NJ for many years until 2002, and have since been a tour guide at Grand Canyon National Park and Ketchikan, Alaska. Also, have been a National Park Volunteer at Hawaii Volcanoes and now Sunset Crater Volcano near my home. If not on Amtrak, also like long road trips, camping some of the time.

#50 scoostraw

scoostraw

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 11:10 AM

My brother is boarding #6 at Roseville today.  He is going to ask the OBS what happened yesterday.

#51 scoostraw

scoostraw

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 12:02 PM

Actually I did just see some info on this.  There was a traction motor failure and a UP freight locomotive was added as the lead unit.

#52 User38

User38

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 01:21 PM

#6 out of Emeryville is cancelled today. We received a call from Amtrak at 6 a.m. this morning. We were able to book tomorrow so keeping fingers crossed!

#53 chakk

chakk

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 01:28 PM

I wonder if they are turning the train at Sacramento.  It looks like 5 never made it to Davis.

Since Davis is a "detraining-only" stop for #5, if there are no passengers in the manifest scheduled to detrain there, #5 will not stop, and it might not get a time posted on the Amtrak website.

Edited by chakk, 01 March 2017 - 05:46 PM.

#54 chakk

chakk

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 01:34 PM

#6 out of Emeryville is cancelled today. We received a call from Amtrak at 6 a.m. this morning. We were able to book tomorrow so keeping fingers crossed!

Amtrak website says that #6 is scheduled to leave Emeryville today at 2:30 PM, instead of being cancelled outright.   That makes more sense, since the train could make up several of those hours enroute to Chicago, plus it avoids the problem of having TWO sets of CZ equipment sitting in the West Oakland yard tonight.   The very late departure today is because yesterday's #5 arrived Emeryville nearly 14 hours late at 6 AM this morning.   Turning the train in 8.5 hours for the eastbound journey provides time for cleaning and turning the train, and providing the minimum amount of federally-mandated rest time for the onboard service staff.

#55 User38

User38

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 01:50 PM

Amtrak told us there would be no service to our final destination today. I saw that it said 2:30 departure but since we already extended our hotel stay we decided to leave well enough alone. Amtrak rescheduled us for tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

#56 Metra Electric Rider

Metra Electric Rider

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 02:10 PM

Are there any flood updates from Nevada yet?

SJ - Norra Stambanan, Nordvästra stambanan, Södra stambanan, Dalabanan

NSB- Bergensbanen, Kongsvingerbanen, Rørosbanen, Dovrebanen, Flåmsbana, Roa–Hønefossbanen

Amtrak - Floridian, San Francisco Zephyr, Southwest Limited, Illini, State House

#57 PRR 60

PRR 60

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,517 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 02:28 PM

Are there any flood updates from Nevada yet?

The Union Pacific line between Wells NV and Ogden UT was restored to service February 21. This was the line most severely damaged by the Nevada dam failure.  The only remaining Union Pacific route out of service is the Feather River line between Oroville and Portola CA.

#58 scoostraw

scoostraw

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 02:36 PM

Amtrak told us there would be no service to our final destination today. I saw that it said 2:30 departure but since we already extended our hotel stay we decided to leave well enough alone. Amtrak rescheduled us for tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

That's kinda weird.  What was your final destination?

Edited by scoostraw, 01 March 2017 - 02:57 PM.

#59 scoostraw

scoostraw

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 02:36 PM

Arrived Emeryville 6:04 am 13'54" late. Due to go east at 2:30 pm. They must have served the gourmet beef stew dinner last night. Yum?

#60 scoostraw

scoostraw

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 02:59 PM

Amtrak website says that #6 is scheduled to leave Emeryville today at 2:30 PM, instead of being cancelled outright.   That makes more sense, since the train could make up several of those hours enroute to Chicago, plus it avoids the problem of having TWO sets of CZ equipment sitting in the West Oakland yard tonight.   The very late departure today is because yesterday's #5 arrived Emeryville nearly 14 hours late at 6 AM this morning.   Turning the train in 8.5 hours for the eastbound journey provides time for cleaning and turning the train, and providing the minimum amount of federally-mandated rest time for the onboard service staff.

This makes sense.

(Amtrak cancelling User38's reservation for today does not)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users