• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#21 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,510 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 13 February 2017 - 03:46 PM

Yep, the flacks that work for Amtrak, as well as the Ops and IT crews, are definitely not earning their pay right now!

No excuses for this mess!😑

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#22 RichardWSnow

RichardWSnow

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 11:09 PM

Just to end my story:  I arrived in LA on 3(11) on time.  I was rolling in my rental car by 9am and back in San Jose about 2pm.  I turned in the car , walked about 1/2 mile to Diridon Station (where I'd left my car), and was back home in Gilroy by about 3pm.  That's about 5 hours ahead of when I'd have been home taking the CZ.  Of course the $125 the rental car cost me was not pleasant.  Also though, on the plus side was having the family bedroom and its double bed to enjoy all by myself. 

#23 greatcats

greatcats

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 11:17 PM

You sure arrived home in good order. Beat the CS by several hours. Glad it worked out for you. You went by my home; it is less than a mile south of the tracks, about four miles east of Flagstaff station.
I was a commuter railroad employee in NJ for many years until 2002, and have since been a tour guide at Grand Canyon National Park and Ketchikan, Alaska. Also, have been a National Park Volunteer at Hawaii Volcanoes and now Sunset Crater Volcano near my home. If not on Amtrak, also like long road trips, camping some of the time.

#24 denmarks

denmarks

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • Interests:Computers and Travel

Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:03 PM

Any news on the California Zephyr service disruption? What is causing it? Why is there no news about it anywhere?

Dennis M. Marks
28,286 miles on Amtrak

#25 bmjhagen9426

bmjhagen9426

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:Computers, riding trains/travel, watching movies/sporting events, listening to music/speeches/talk radio, reading

Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:26 PM

Any news on the California Zephyr service disruption? What is causing it? Why is there no news about it anywhere?

Flooding and washouts in Nevada, not to mention the backlog of freight trains that were forced to detour. The Feather River route and the Elko-Ogden route (used by the San Francisco Zephyr in the 1970s) are still out, because it was the most hit. Some are saying that the California Zephyr will return west of SLC in a few days.

Just a 23 year old college student who likes to travel by train.

Trains taken (US): Coast Starlight, San Joaquins, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Hoosier State, SP4449 excursion 2015

Commuter/Transit Rail (US): Metra, TriMet, SoundTransit, Muni, LA MetroRail

Trains/Transit taken (Outside US and Canada): KNR, SMSC, SMRT, IRTC, DJET, DX LINE, EVERLINE, HUMETRO, METRO9

Ambus trips: BFD-LAX, EMY-SFC

Current Amtrak mileage: 17251 miles plus 130 Ambus miles

#26 scoostraw

scoostraw

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 07:28 PM

Does anyone know if the CZ is still being turned at SLC?

#27 keelhauled

keelhauled

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 08:07 PM

As of right now, yes.  Supposedly the CZ that left Chicago today will travel through to California, but it would probably still be a good idea to cross your fingers.

Go on, raise the flag, I got stars in my eyes...I'm in love with her and I won't apologize.

#28 bmjhagen9426

bmjhagen9426

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:Computers, riding trains/travel, watching movies/sporting events, listening to music/speeches/talk radio, reading

Posted 20 February 2017 - 09:12 PM

As of right now, yes.  Supposedly the CZ that left Chicago today will travel through to California, but it would probably still be a good idea to cross your fingers.

Definitely cross your fingers, cause The Weatherman has declared a flood warning in northern Nevada...again. Not to mention the deluge of North-Central California. This cutting might happen for a few more days, if UPRR asks to cut that part out for a few days. Even if UPRR gives all clear, turn around in Reno can also happen if Donner Pass is hit.

As for the CZ being turned around, is it still sans bustitution west of SLC?

Just a 23 year old college student who likes to travel by train.

Trains taken (US): Coast Starlight, San Joaquins, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Hoosier State, SP4449 excursion 2015

Commuter/Transit Rail (US): Metra, TriMet, SoundTransit, Muni, LA MetroRail

Trains/Transit taken (Outside US and Canada): KNR, SMSC, SMRT, IRTC, DJET, DX LINE, EVERLINE, HUMETRO, METRO9

Ambus trips: BFD-LAX, EMY-SFC

Current Amtrak mileage: 17251 miles plus 130 Ambus miles

#29 scoostraw

scoostraw

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 12:03 PM

Did today's #5 only make it as far as Salt Lake City?

#30 greatcats

greatcats

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 12:08 PM

Just looked at the status page for last night. Arrived SLC over 9 hours late and left over 10 hrs down. Next stop Elko, over 10 hrs late. Sounds like a mechanical problem, if it lost that much time at SLC, which is normally about 30 minutes at the station.
I was a commuter railroad employee in NJ for many years until 2002, and have since been a tour guide at Grand Canyon National Park and Ketchikan, Alaska. Also, have been a National Park Volunteer at Hawaii Volcanoes and now Sunset Crater Volcano near my home. If not on Amtrak, also like long road trips, camping some of the time.

#31 scoostraw

scoostraw

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 12:12 PM

Hey good news.  It is at least on the move.

#32 scoostraw

scoostraw

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 12:21 PM

@greatcats:  Just to confirm, do you know for a fact #5 departed SLC and is on the move?

#33 greatcats

greatcats

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 12:39 PM

You make a point. Apparently it has not yet departed. It was estimated to leave at 10:10 Mountain Time and still seems to be at SLC. Not good.

#34 Tennessee Traveler

Tennessee Traveler

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 12:46 PM

According to Amtrak Status Maps, CZ 5 was already 2 hours late and lost additional 7 hours between Helper and Provo Utah.   As someone suggested it may have been delayed around Summit Point.  While it could be mechanical, it is also possible that the delay was caused by some freight interference.

#35 scoostraw

scoostraw

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 12:47 PM

Anybody know the phone # for the SLC station?

#36 greatcats

greatcats

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 12:47 PM

It says now that departed at 10:38. I would say the station staff made several hours OT. I 'd like to ride across western Utah and Nevada by daylight. One of my favorite parts of that route is the early morning light over the desert west of Winnemucca.

#37 scoostraw

scoostraw

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 12:56 PM

That is excellent news.

Am I correct that this equipment becomes tomorrow's #6?

#38 Tennessee Traveler

Tennessee Traveler

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 01:00 PM

You are correct.  CZ 5 equipment and OBS crew overnight in Oakland, equipment is turned, and becomes the following day's CZ 6 with same OBS Crew(they are Chicago based). 

So, if the CZ 5 is extremely late arriving Emeryville, the CZ 6 the following day is subject to delayed start to allow adequate time for crew rest and restocking the train for the three day trip back to Chicago.

#39 greatcats

greatcats

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 01:10 PM

Now projected to arrive Emeryville 1:25 am. Short turnaround for on board crew. Let's see how 6 does tomorrow.

#40 scoostraw

scoostraw

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 06:55 PM

This train is now almost 12 hours late.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users