• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,812 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, music, dancing, and looking for new adventures

Posted 10 February 2017 - 12:15 AM

I have a sleeper booked through AGR, traveling from A to B.

I have a friend who lives several stops from B and might join me for a couple of days in B.

Since the sleeper is booked with points, can I add him to an open sleeper ticket using points, or will he have to pay cash?

If he does pay cash, is the open sleeper + points + cash formula going to make the reservations system explode?

How do I do this? Am I going to make a CSR's day complete and utter hell?

Amtrak Miles: 39,318

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#2 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,117 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 10 February 2017 - 05:54 AM

Open sleeper, points, and a different set of city pairs?

82p5pm.jpg
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#3 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,845 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 05:54 AM

I don't think paying for open sleeper affects your Rez. I suspect you could buy his with points.

2011: Jun: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // Nov: WIL=>WAS=>CHI=>PRO (NER=>CL=>CZ)
2012: Apr: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // May(NTD): WIL=>PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>PAO=>PHL (Keystone) // Aug: WIL=>WAS (NER) / BWI=>WIL (NER) // Oct(Gathering): PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>HAR=>PHL (Keystone) / SEPTA, NJT, PATCO, River Line, Princeton Dinky
2013: May(NTD): WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct (Gathering): WIL=>CHI (Card) / CHI=>MKE=>GLN=>CHI() / CHI=>JOL=>CHI () / CHI=>WIL(CL=>NER) / CTA, Metra. SEPTA (WIL=>NRK) // Nov:  PHL=>PHL (Autumn Express) 
2014: May(NTD):  WIL=>PHL=>WIL(NER) // May:  WIL=>BOS=>WIL(NER) day trip

2014: Oct(Gathering): WIL=>NYP=>TOL(pd-NER=>LSL) / TOL=>CHI=>LAX=>EMY(pts-LSL=>SWC=>CS) / EMY=>CHI=>TOL (pts-CZ-CL) / TOL=>WAS=>WIL(pd-CL=>NER)
2015: May: CHI=>CIN(pd-Card) / CIN=>WIL(pts Card)
2015;  Oct(Gathering):  WIL=>WAS(Acela) / ALX=>WAS(NER) / WAS=>BAL(Acela) / WAS=>WIL(NER)

2016: Mar: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct:  WIL=>NYP=>NYP=>WIL (Autumn Express) 

#4 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,812 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, music, dancing, and looking for new adventures

Posted 10 February 2017 - 08:26 AM

Open sleeper, points, and a different set of city pairs?

82p5pm.jpg

Right?

It's only a few hours, so we could just hang out in the lounge if he buys a coach ticket, but I'd like to show him the roomette. Plus, we'll both get dinner. :) I'd like him to have the full experience.

Amtrak Miles: 39,318

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#5 jebr

jebr

Engineer

• Forum Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 11:57 AM

I think if he just pays cash, it should be fine. The link between the open sleeper ticket and the main reservation in ARROW isn't that tight, so it likely wouldn't even realize the difference.

I honestly probably wouldn't even try to use points for the open sleeper ticket.

#6 Meat Puppet

Meat Puppet

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 03:52 AM

Buy the ooach ticket, tell your sleeper attendant of your intentions to have your friend hangout in your room (probably a good time to tip for your journey) , whomever orders the more expensive dinner put on your tab, pay cash for the cheaper.

#7 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,117 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 18 February 2017 - 10:20 AM

5506151575_132af7e3fd.jpg

Attached File  Screen Shot 2017-02-18 at 10.19.25 AM.png   888.61KB   16 downloads
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users