Potentially dumb questions from a 1st time overnight rider...

31 replies to this topic

#21 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 04:08 PM

Amtrak had the Qualcomm mobile data system system installed with keyboards in the cab and in the crew car.  If you look at the top of the P42 from above you will see a white dome.  Inside this dome is a rotating clam-shell that is constantly communicating with the Qualcomm transponders on several satellites.   Amtrak can send text messages to the Engineer any place except in tunnels or stations where they are covered.  Amtrak has predefined forms that either the Engineer or Conductor could fill out to report information or make an inquiry.  The Conductor could inquire if what looked like available rooms were actually open to be sold.  If the Conductor sold the room it was reported to the computer via this system so Reservations would not sell the room, 

I just remembered that sold their Omni-traks system but there have not been an operational changes. As of 2011, Amtrak was still using this system installed in 1995, since it is mentioned in the 800 page manual.

Trains Traveled On:
Texas Eagle                                      Sunset Limited                            California Zephyr                                Southwest Chief                Empire Builder            Capitol Limited           Lake Shore limited (NYP & BOS)      Crescent
Kentucky Cardinal                             Cardinal                                       Pere Marquette                                  Wolverines                        Lincoln Service            Empire Service          Keystone Service                               Acelas
NE Regionals                                    Pioneer                                        Desert Wind                                       Broadway Limited             Three Rivers                Southwest Chief        Coast Starlight                                    Empire Service

Amtrak Miles Logged: over 197,000

#22 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,177 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 27 February 2017 - 04:44 PM

Are they actually still using it other than the Omnitrak part? Is it capable of hooking into the credit card clearing system to actually carry out a financial transaction? Just curious....

#23 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,222 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 27 February 2017 - 05:42 PM

A quick review of the current an past Blue Books and the procedures for conducting an onboard upgrade indicate that the system has never been used for that (unless it was pre-2011). Conductors are to call a dedicated phone number to confirm availability (and price today, since rooms go at the current rate). The customer can then pay cash or use a credit card run through the conductor's handheld device.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#24 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 28 February 2017 - 10:24 PM

Where can I download a copy of the current blue book?

1963U. S. Congress - underground trolley system • Disneyland train (1968/various other dates) • Old Tucson steam train (1969)

Amtrak: California Zephyr Coast Starlight •  Southwest ChiefSunset LimitedTexas Eagle • Illinois Zephyr

. . . . . . . Amtrak miles - 16,383, so far.

#25 PerRock

PerRock

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Rail, Auran Trainz, Traveling, Graphic Design

Posted 28 February 2017 - 10:53 PM

Here's v.8, it's the most recent one I have. https://drive.google...OGRfeXUtcllyak0

peter

Given the choice; I fly Amtrak.

http://www.amtraktrainz.com

#26 seat38a

seat38a

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes, And Web App Development

Posted 01 March 2017 - 10:55 AM

I'd jump at the chance if Amtrak offered an open sleeper system; I'd even be happy if it didn't come with meals.

THIS! I would LOVE to have a Basic Sleeper option on Amtrak, like it is offered on trains in Europe and Asia. I don't need the privacy of entire room to myself, I don't even want complimentary meals. All I want is a flat bed to sleep at night. Makes train journeys 10x more comfortable and fun. I've done tons of overnight journeys in India in open-plan sleepers and would jump at every opportunity to do again.

Yeah, your probably in the minority in the US when it comes to sharing with strangers. People freak out about having to sit with people they don't know in the dining car, let alone get nasty about giving up the seat next to them on a full train. Americans are about personal privacy. Same thing goes for on ships and ferries. Cabins in the US are sold to the individual/family and the the rest of the world shared. Same goes for hostels. Popular around the world but not so much here.

#27 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 11:16 AM

Its difficult to get people in business who know each other to share a hotel room.  When the VP of our company suggested that the company bring all the Project Managers across the country to the home office for a week long training session, he suggested that instead of getting almost 100 rooms, have people double up using 2 bed hotel rooms.  The up roar was unbelievable.  There were threats of filing a law suit against the company.  Couples today don't even want someone else at home using their sink.  My wife and I and our three kids share one bathroom with one sink.  We had a waist high chain link fence for the dog, but all the neighbors talked to each other and watch each others homes, but today, home buyers want solid 6 to 8 foot privacy fences.  They are afraid someone next door might see them.  The rest of the world will share, get to know each other, help each other, enjoy the opportunity to meet new people.

Trains Traveled On:
Texas Eagle                                      Sunset Limited                            California Zephyr                                Southwest Chief                Empire Builder            Capitol Limited           Lake Shore limited (NYP & BOS)      Crescent
Kentucky Cardinal                             Cardinal                                       Pere Marquette                                  Wolverines                        Lincoln Service            Empire Service          Keystone Service                               Acelas
NE Regionals                                    Pioneer                                        Desert Wind                                       Broadway Limited             Three Rivers                Southwest Chief        Coast Starlight                                    Empire Service

#28 seat38a

seat38a

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes, And Web App Development

Posted 01 March 2017 - 04:02 PM

Its difficult to get people in business who know each other to share a hotel room.  When the VP of our company suggested that the company bring all the Project Managers across the country to the home office for a week long training session, he suggested that instead of getting almost 100 rooms, have people double up using 2 bed hotel rooms.  The up roar was unbelievable.  There were threats of filing a law suit against the company.  Couples today don't even want someone else at home using their sink.  My wife and I and our three kids share one bathroom with one sink.  We had a waist high chain link fence for the dog, but all the neighbors talked to each other and watch each others homes, but today, home buyers want solid 6 to 8 foot privacy fences.  They are afraid someone next door might see them.  The rest of the world will share, get to know each other, help each other, enjoy the opportunity to meet new people.

I won't share a hotel room with friends either. For me, I need a place to get away from the clowns, and not be stuck with them 24 hours. I wouldn't put up with sharing hotel rooms at company events either. I don't think most companies do that.

#29 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,510 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 01 March 2017 - 07:42 PM

Professional Sports Teams,Wal-Mart and Bain Capital (Mitt Romney)used to make overnight business travelers share rooms.

Thanks to strong Unions, Pro Athletes no longer travel in Steerage, but Im not sure about Waly and Mitt World now days?

Any Big Companies still do this?

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#30 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 06 March 2017 - 01:34 PM

Americans are about personal privacy.

But people use cell phones and the Internet.

1963U. S. Congress - underground trolley system • Disneyland train (1968/various other dates) • Old Tucson steam train (1969)

Amtrak: California Zephyr Coast Starlight •  Southwest ChiefSunset LimitedTexas Eagle • Illinois Zephyr

. . . . . . . Amtrak miles - 16,383, so far.

#31 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,177 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 06 March 2017 - 02:27 PM

Professional Sports Teams,Wal-Mart and Bain Capital (Mitt Romney)used to make overnight business travelers share rooms.

Thanks to strong Unions, Pro Athletes no longer travel in Steerage, but Im not sure about Waly and Mitt World now days?

Any Big Companies still do this?

Many fixed that problem by cutting their travel budget to zero and giving everyone a headset to attach to their laptops to Skype away :D

#32 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 04:07 PM

HR plus Legal advised several companies I know to make the move to single rooms.  Motorola used to have retreats where a corporate house would be rented on a lake or in the mountains.  There were several beds in each bedroom.  Each team was assigned a meal, there would be presentations in the morning, teams building in the afternoon, plus boating or golfing or both.  My friends at Motorola told me several years ago, these retreats were eliminated by HR based on personal privacy, personal hygiene, and potential sexual orientation issues.  My friends said everyone always enjoyed these 5 day getaways, for the friendships, the educational aspect, and the opportunity to become more team oriented,  AND just the fun of getting away from the offices..

Trains Traveled On:

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users