Sleeper booking online, complimentary secret dinner...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

#21 tomfuller

tomfuller

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Interests:Trains, geocaching, travel.

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:41 PM

I was a bit unsure whether I would get a meal on the Sunset Limited (westbound) at Tucson. It was a bit after 8PM before I got into the Roomette.
The SCA told me that "We saved a steak for you Tom ". I went to the dining car and ordered the steak. I had just started eating when a lot of smoke came billowing
up from the kitchen. The dining car attendant gave me a cover for my plate to take the meal back to my room.
Later the SCA came for the plate and silverware and I asked for dessert. I got a good dessert with a plastic spoon.
I have asked for and got Tonic water (with quinine) to prevent leg cramps. I do tip the SCA when they provide good or exceptional service.

#22 gatelouse

gatelouse

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 12:28 AM

Tell you what, I'll concede the OP's point that people have booked sleepers without realizing that meals were included.

Tell you what else, in over 10 years of following Amtrak-related forums, I have never encountered any other person who felt entitled to compensation because of it.
Ridden, now gone: 3 Rivers 10/6 sleeper; SL East; Pennsy to CHI; Superliner Card; Shoreliner sleeper; Heritage Adirondack; Metroclub; NE Direct inland NHV-SPG-BOS

#23 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,933 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 07:14 AM

I suspect I booked my LD trip (it was in a roomette) without knowing if meals were included.  But then I started doing research about LD travel both on Amtrak's site and Googling.  That's how I found AU and from here I got a lot of good info.

How far in advance did you book your trip?

2011: Jun: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // Nov: WIL=>WAS=>CHI=>PRO (NER=>CL=>CZ)
2012: Apr: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // May(NTD): WIL=>PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>PAO=>PHL (Keystone) // Aug: WIL=>WAS (NER) / BWI=>WIL (NER) // Oct(Gathering): PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>HAR=>PHL (Keystone) / SEPTA, NJT, PATCO, River Line, Princeton Dinky
2013: May(NTD): WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct (Gathering): WIL=>CHI (Card) / CHI=>MKE=>GLN=>CHI() / CHI=>JOL=>CHI () / CHI=>WIL(CL=>NER) / CTA, Metra. SEPTA (WIL=>NRK) // Nov:  PHL=>PHL (Autumn Express) 
2014: May(NTD):  WIL=>PHL=>WIL(NER) // May:  WIL=>BOS=>WIL(NER) day trip

2014: Oct(Gathering): WIL=>NYP=>TOL(pd-NER=>LSL) / TOL=>CHI=>LAX=>EMY(pts-LSL=>SWC=>CS) / EMY=>CHI=>TOL (pts-CZ-CL) / TOL=>WAS=>WIL(pd-CL=>NER)
2015: May: CHI=>CIN(pd-Card) / CIN=>WIL(pts Card)
2015;  Oct(Gathering):  WIL=>WAS(Acela) / ALX=>WAS(NER) / WAS=>BAL(Acela) / WAS=>WIL(NER)

2016: Mar: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct:  WIL=>NYP=>NYP=>WIL (Autumn Express) 

#24 Guest_MarkMeNearlyDone_*

Guest_MarkMeNearlyDone_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2017 - 09:37 AM

So. condensed down, what I have tried to communicate here:  'I visited the website twice to book my ticket, I contacted Amtrak agents 3 times prior to booking & departure and missed my meal, I didn't find it anywhere during my travel, would you be able to offer me anything to get that experience?'    Bad form? Whiny? Asking too much?  Shows entitlement?  Taboo?  

What am I missing?  

Perhaps my level of detail, while in content is not contentious (or isn't meant to be, honest), in volume seems like I have an axe to grind? (I totally don't)  If anyone is so inclined I wouldn't mind your critique in pointing out the; disgruntledness? complaining? outrage? in my posts.  

To respond to AmtrakBlue's question, I booked on Friday night for Sunday travel with a full day Saturday of 'life' hehe.

The reason for my thread was twofold; to confirm the workings of the website/process as I understood them (success, I learned a lot!) and to enhance the content of my letter to Amtrak so it could be received in the best possible light and have the most benefit to all (the jury is still out on this one!)  

Hope everyone is having a great weekend~!

#25 Tennessee Traveler

Tennessee Traveler

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 03:37 PM

Just to answer your bare bones question about comps.  Airlines do not comp you meals "ON THE AIRPLANE" but instead to purchase food from airport restaurants.  Amtrak does not run from many stations that have restaurants.  Only the major metro areas do such as Chicago, Los Angeles, etc.  The only food service in many Amtrak stations may be "Subway" sandwich shop.  So, no, one should not expect to be "comp'ed" for missed meals on Amtrak.  

Edited by Tennessee Traveler, 11 February 2017 - 03:37 PM.

#26 Guest_seriously?_*

Guest_seriously?_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2017 - 03:49 PM

Never posted here before, but also never seen such a whiny post. Sounds like OP could have taken full advantage of the included meal, so I don't see what could possibly require compensation. Once I took an overnight transatlantic flight that left late enough I wasn't sure there would be a full dinner service, so I bought dinner at the airport. Turns out I could have eaten on the plane, but I didn't expect the airline to somehow pay for the food I'd already bought - that would be just as ridiculous as this.

I could see a valid complaint about compensation for an expected meal that you didn't get, but you're asking for compensation because you were served an EXTRA meal? Give me a break.

#27 Guest_Guest_seriously_trolling?_*

Guest_Guest_seriously_trolling?_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2017 - 05:52 PM

There was no extra meal served, in fact the complaint is that the meal was never mentioned.  With all the previous posts I thought that was clear but lets leave no stone unturned!  

The traveler was unaware of the details of the ticket since during booking there are no links that are labelled: Click to see what's included...  there is one little dinner plate icon that they did not click on that would have alerted them to the meal and a hyperlink in the name of the accommodation (Superliner Roomette) that lists it also, both of these weren't clicked since they are not necessary to booking.  The e-ticket does not list meals, the room doesn't list whats on offer and the SCA offered a 'reservation' without mentioning that the dinner is complimentary.

If that is whining then I don't know the definition of the word or the context in which you apply it.

If you were running a business and a customer was unaware of an offer until later and they requested it later and it would not cost you in a great way, would you not accommodate the request?  Would you tell them to stop whining for simply asking the question?This is just a hypothetical question, I do not assert what the real costs are here.  It also seems that some people have noted that free travel is all they can offer and that sounds like it might not make economic sense to offer travel to replace a meal.

As we see in the informative posts here in this case it may be difficult for Amtrak to make such an offer due to infrastructure not being in place (did someone say that there are no 'dinner vouchers' in the Amtrak system?) and someone else compared the train to an airplane where extra meals are not on board I believe.  The food itself and compensation for it is not what the traveler is after I don't believe but the experience of eating in the dining car as the train carries them along, which they missed.

Nevertheless its fun to consider all the angles and opinions discussed here!

#28 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,156 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 12 February 2017 - 06:04 PM

The food itself and compensation for it is not what the traveler is after I don't believe but the experience of eating in the dining car as the train carries them along, which they missed.

Then book yourself a ticket and eat in the diner. Now you know if you're in a sleeper, the meal will be included.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#29 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,716 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 07:32 PM

The moderating staff believes that the Guest's question has been completely answered.  Accordingly, we are locking this thread.

Amtrak miles: 199,559; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion (1973), Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle, Missouri River Runner, Acela Express, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, Northeast Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, Empire Service, Sunset Limited, San Joaquin, Capitol Corridor, Pennsylvanian, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Autumn Express 2015, Ethan Allen Express, AEM-7 Excursion, Pacific Surfliner; Lakeshore Limited (BOS-ALB), Autumn Express 2016, Palmetto.

VIA miles: 4,584; Routes: The Canadian (westbound), Ocean.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users