#21 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,822 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 08 February 2017 - 11:33 PM

The PRR GG-1 was perhaps the finest and most beautiful locomotive ever built.  They were famed industrial designer Raymond Loewy's styling masterpiece.  Their art deco design looked timeless over their half century of service.
The  twin-cabbed locomotive was indeed a bit tight, and sort of submarine like inside.  The massive bridge-girder like beams and long noses were just what you wanted for protection during the early NEC days when there were still grade crossings.

Standing at the west end of Penn Station's Track 11/12, under 'A' Tower, and watching their headlight go from dim to bright, along with the steady blong-blong-blong of their bell, as they easily pulled the long Florida and other long haul trains on their way, was something I never tired of.   I rode behind them between New York and Washington, New York and Harrisburg, and late in their lives up to New Haven.  I finally got the big thrill of a cab ride aboard NJT 4879 from New York to Newark, just before their retirement.

Thank goodness so many of them have been saved and preserved at various museum's all around the country. :)

Edited by railiner, 09 February 2017 - 05:41 AM.

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#22 xyzzy

xyzzy

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 09:52 AM

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1486531715.967985.jpg
That is the best picture I could get with an 18 mm lens.

That's a photo of an E or F unit cab, not a GG-1. Google for Images using "GG-1 cab" and you'll see the correct image. Much narrower than the standard EMD cab.

Edited by xyzzy, 09 February 2017 - 10:37 AM.

#23 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:28 PM

I might have the wrong one my files from there aren't the best I'll check into it

View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net

Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)

Steam Engines I've worked behind

Norfolk & Western No. 611

Nickel Plate Road No. 765

Southern Pacific No. 4449

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users