22 replies to this topic

#1 s10mk

s10mk

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 09:26 PM

Does anyone here remember riding on the NEC while being pulled by a GG1? They were way before my time. It's hard to believe that these engines were in service for almost 50 years. Does anyone have any fond memories of the GG1? These are my favorite engines, I have always loved their art deco styling

Edited by s10mk, 08 February 2017 - 01:26 PM.

#2 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 09:53 PM

My Mother had a sister that lived in Baltmore, and growing up, we made the trip a few times a year. We didn't have a car so it was the way to go.....

#3 OlympianHiawatha

OlympianHiawatha

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,016 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 09:59 PM

An HO scale model of one with a couple streamlined Pennsy coaches sits on a display shelf in my living room.

#4 EmCee Al

EmCee Al

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 11:32 PM

Logged many miles behind GG-1's during my time living on the NEC from '69 to '72.  Not many were left marked PRR, most were black Penn Central.  I understand that their cabs were a bit cramped for the crew.  Regardless, GG-1's were strong pullers and fast accelerators, and were definitely well liked!

#5 Carolyn Jane

Carolyn Jane

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 11:39 PM

I rode back and forth from NYP to Lewistown many times in the 60's and early 70's.  Have no idea if these were pulling the trains...  CJ

#6 Maglev

Maglev

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:Trains, environmental science, planetary volcanism.

Posted 08 February 2017 - 12:05 AM

I rode behind GG-1's several times on Amtrak in the 1970's.  A vivid memory is of watching the headlight and hatch-like doorway through the window in the door of the first car of the train. The paint scheme I remember seeing was plain black with simple-print "Amtrak" in white.  

Northeast corridor Heritage, Amfleet and Acela, CN Super Continental, Broadway Limited, Lone Star, Sunset Limited, Coast Starlight, San Joaquin, Southwest Limited, National Limited, Champion, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Wolverine, Crescent, Empire Builder, Cascades, Lake Shore Limited, Silver Meteor, Cardinal. 

#7 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 08 February 2017 - 12:23 AM

The cabs were very cramped. I'm 5' 5" and I felt really cramped in one. But they were well liked. How two people worked up there I won't understand

View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net

Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)

Steam Engines I've worked behind

Norfolk & Western No. 611

Nickel Plate Road No. 765

Southern Pacific No. 4449

#8 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 08 February 2017 - 12:28 AM

Attached File  ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1486531715.967985.jpg   79.61KB   37 downloads
That is the best picture I could get with an 18 mm lens.

View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net

Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)

Steam Engines I've worked behind

Norfolk & Western No. 611

Nickel Plate Road No. 765

Southern Pacific No. 4449

#9 C&O RR

C&O RR

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Interests:Model trains, anything stamped C&O RR

Posted 08 February 2017 - 01:40 AM

Rode to NY on a special RF&P consist back in the 60s.  in those day you were allowed to be outside the last car on the platform.

#10 choochoodood

choochoodood

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:Amtrak trains ridden: Lake Shore Limited (11); Pennsylvanian (9); Capitol Limited (4); Empire Builder (1); California Zephyr (1); City Of New Orleans (1); Northeast Direct (2); Cascades (1).

Posted 08 February 2017 - 02:07 AM

Looking at the photo, I find it hard to believe that these (and other) trains could run at high speeds on jointed rail! They must have had some great MOW workers.

#11 cirdan

cirdan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 06:39 AM

Looking at the photo, I find it hard to believe that these (and other) trains could run at high speeds on jointed rail! They must have had some great MOW workers.

The railroads employed many more people in those days.

Competition and price erosion have driven up efficiency to the point that today (with few exceptions), if the railroads weren't alraedy there, there would probably not be an economic case for actually building them.

#12 jphjaxfl

jphjaxfl

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts
  • Interests:Rail passenger advocate for modern, reliable passenger trains that will allow for business or leasure travel. I have been riding trains for over 60 years, but I am not advocating going back to what we once had, rather an updated system similar to Europe, Japan, China, India and other nations with great passenger train systems.

Posted 08 February 2017 - 06:46 AM

I rode on trains pulled by GG1s on various trains between New York and Washington.  I was always amazed at how quiet these monsters were compared to a diesel and certainly a steam locomotive.  You could be standing on a platform like Wilmington or North Philadelphia and see the light from the train and then all of a sudden it would be pulling through the station.  They were also beautiful to behold and the Pennsy colors did them proud.  I didn't care for the black Penn Central...it was like getting them ready for their funeral.

#13 s10mk

s10mk

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 07:41 AM

I rode on trains pulled by GG1s on various trains between New York and Washington.  I was always amazed at how quiet these monsters were compared to a diesel and certainly a steam locomotive.  You could be standing on a platform like Wilmington or North Philadelphia and see the light from the train and then all of a sudden it would be pulling through the station.  They were also beautiful to behold and the Pennsy colors did them proud.  I didn't care for the black Penn Central...it was like getting them ready for their funeral.

I agreee about the funeral. I think NJT did the GG1s a great service by painting 4877 Tuscan red with gold cat whiskers for its last year's on the track.

#14 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,877 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 08 February 2017 - 07:51 AM

The first time I rode behind a GG-1 was in the Senator in 1965.

Rode behind them a zillion times in those Jersey Builder cars on the North Jersey Coast Line service of NJT between New York and South Amboy.

Edited by jis, 08 February 2017 - 07:51 AM.

#15 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 12:10 PM

We are heading downtown early to catch the "Morning Congressional" somehow sounds better than "Northeast Regional"

#16 MARC Rider

MARC Rider

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:24 PM

I became a train geek in the Philadelphia area between 1964 and 1970.  For me, the GG1 was what I first thought when I heard the word "locomotive.", Everything else was EMUs, either the PRR MP-54s or early Silverliners, and whatever it was that the Reading used.  I think when I was 11, I rode an RDC on the Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines from 30th St. to Atlantic City.  It might have been the first diesel train I ever rode, and that was a DMU.  I'd see the pictures of the diesel streamliners in train magazines and thought of them as exotica.  When I was 14, I got to ride the Denver Zephyr behind some sort of diesel power, and when I was in high school, I took the occasional joyride to Norristown on something called the "King Coal Express" a Reading train tp Pottsville that used an F unit diesel (which I think is now on display in the parking lot at Steamtown in Scranton.)  Oh, and for three years I went to a camp in Mass. that involved a trip on the "camp train" from Grand Central up the Housatonic, which I think was electric to Danbury and diesel after that.   But I rode up to New York behind a GG-1.

#17 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,314 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:49 PM

Brings to mind our beloved late friend Eric M., known as "GG-1" here on AU!😙

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#18 chakk

chakk

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 08:18 PM

A GG-1 pulled all of the school trip specials I took in the mid-1960's from Washington DC to New York Penn Station and return. Also pulled the low-slung Evening Keystone I rode with family to New Brunswick, NJ during the year of the New York World's Fair.

#19 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,122 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 08 February 2017 - 09:38 PM

Brings to mind our beloved late friend Eric M., known as "GG-1" here on AU!

My first thought as well. :(
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#20 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,812 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, music, dancing, and looking for new adventures

Posted 08 February 2017 - 09:46 PM

Brings to mind our beloved late friend Eric M., known as "GG-1" here on AU!

Yes. When I saw the thread title, I experienced a split second in which I looked forward to reading his response.

It was one of those "Oh... right... :( " moments.

Amtrak Miles: 39,318

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users