41 replies to this topic

#41 Eric S

Eric S

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 04:01 PM

Agree, this delay (and possibly killing) of federal funding for Caltrain electrification is simply a political stunt - for a "jobs and infrastructure" administration in Washington to kill a project that would create jobs and improve infrastructure and is truly "shovel-ready" is absurd and should give pause to anyone holding out hope that rail and transit projects will fair well in the next few years.

#42 maxbuskirk

maxbuskirk

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:Math, old train schedules

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:01 PM

With all of this said, I put no small part of the blame on the former administration for not getting the contracting worked out on the way out the door.  It's not like we haven't seen a version of this show before (WI, OH, and FL, oh my!) and the idea that what's-his-face from Southern California (the Congresscritter spearheading attempts to kill CAHSR) would try to lead a charge like this should not be considered the world's greatest shock.

One word answer to this- Atherton.

That little pain-in-the-posterior town of whiny millionaires has thrown lawsuit after lawsuit against Caltrain to stop electrification or any improvements from happening in their special snowflake quaint town in the middle of a metro area of 7 million people. The last lawsuit was thrown out by court on Sep 28, 2016. That did not leave much time for the previous administration to jump in and provide the funding.

I agree. This railroad has been there before any of those residents were even born. The fact that they move in near the age-old railway, then proceed to complain about it (not uncommon around the country) is appalling and selfish, IMO, unless the railway is invading their private property directly.

I have ridden Cascades #516 (SEA-STW), Coast Starlight #14 (LAX-SLO), Southwest Chief #4 (LAX-CHI), Cardinal #50 (CHI-NYP), Northeast Regional #85 (NYP-WAS), Capitol Limited #30 (HFY-WAS), Coast Starlight #14 (LAX-PDX), and many Pacific Surfliners with Amtrak. I have seen, including the previous, California Zephyr #5 at SAC (with luck), what I guess to be Crescent #19 (at WAS) and Silver Meteor #97 (at WAS), and Empire Builder #28 at PDX. I have also ridden the Hokutosei in Japan, Ueno - Sapporo (now discontinued).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users