#121 hermit

hermit

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Interests:Trains,Art,Glass,Food,Outdoors

Posted 17 April 2017 - 10:33 AM

Thank you for sharing,sounds like you are having an amazing trip!

Amtrak Routes taken

Coast Starlight(Lax-Sea)

California Zephyr(Emy-Chi)

Empire Builder (Chi-Sea)

Southwest Chief (Lax-Abq)

Pere Marquette(Chi-Grr)

#122 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,428 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 17 April 2017 - 10:52 AM

Another Wonderful Chapter in Jamie and Rosie's Excellent Adventure !

More!More!😎

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#123 v v

v v

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 06:17 PM

The trouble with memories for a lifetime, is one can't always reme...  er, what was I saying ?  :D

Ed.

The trouble with memories for a lifetime, is one can't always reme...  er, what was I saying ?  :D

Ed.

:giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

I figure if I reach that point, I may well *think* I have done everything I always wanted to. At least, that's what my grandpa thought.

There's a little secret about memories that we can share. Photo everything that moves or even that doesn't, have a partner who takes cryptic notes for fun, and try to write up a trip report within 2 weeks or it's all gone.

Just love this photo of an LA Metro station, think it's the Red Line?

Just to answer this -- yes, that's the North Hollywood station, the northern terminus of the Red Line.

I have seen Matthew Modine in a number of films and really enjoyed "Stranger Things," but I'm so bad at recognizing people out of context that, if he were sitting at my table in the dining car, I probably wouldn't know it was him.

When you named the station trainman it all came back. North Hollywood station is at the terminus of the express bus too. Get off bus, walk about 100 yards and you are at the Metro station, that's a proper joined up transport system. Thanks for bringing that back, how did you know where it was? 

There's another photo from that station too, it's a mural inside the station of what looks a lot like somewhere in California, or it does to a European. I'll try post it later.

Attached File  S12450.1.jpg   177.25KB   8 downloads

Thanks Jamie, for your next career you should become a travel writer like our own Henry K.and travel the world while getting paid for it!

Not a chance Bob, it's hard work. Mine is just disjointed ramblings, Henry K is a proper writer.  

Oh, yes, the three-hour lunches, with everyone joining in the conversation, are the best!

We spend a lot of time in a country that treasures these lunches, were trying to practice. That said, 48 hour parties are even better, you are invited Jennifer.

Wow! First rate story, first rate writing. Sounds like it's been an incredible journey thus far.

Eric we've been lucky, everyone has a story to tell and some just need the circumstance to tell it, plus of course someone to listen too. It does help though if you throw convention out of the window, try not to harm anybody and smile a lot. I leave Rosie to do most of those things.

Just to add to this, all long distance trains give a space and time to think, reflect and consider at leisure, and have more than just a snatched conversation if you want it. Amtrak long distance trains have a secret ingredient, their diners. An Amtrak diner where you are seated at random almost forces people to have some form of conversation with those at the same table, although not everybody wants or needs to talk which is ok too. It's also maybe the same reason that a 'community' doesn't really form until the second full day. On day two most have eaten with several / many different persons and then may also include a person(s) from another table into their conversation and this spreads. We've all seen this happen or been part of it. Often the intro in the diner gives rise to conversations with fellow diners in the observation lounge as well. So we think a long distance Amtrak ride where you eat in the diner at every meal gives a unique 'in' to sharing with others that we have never found anywhere else, it's our best aspect of riding trains anywhere.

Thank you for sharing,sounds like you are having an amazing trip!

Yes we are, there's not too much more so please hang in there as it will end with a whimper.

Another Wonderful Chapter in Jamie and Rosie's Excellent Adventure !

More!More!

Thanks for the encouragement, you'll have to sober up some time...

Edited by v v, 17 April 2017 - 07:17 PM.

#124 oregon pioneer

oregon pioneer

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,671 posts
  • Interests:Cross-country skiing, forestry, botany, solar power, gardening and food!

Posted 17 April 2017 - 07:25 PM

There's a little secret about memories that we can share. Photo everything that moves or even that doesn't, have a partner who takes cryptic notes for fun, and try to write up a trip report within 2 weeks or it's all gone.

I feel like I don't take enough photos. Yours are great, taking lots must be the secret. You can decide later if they are evocative, or not. I DO take lots of notes, in fact I try to sit down with my netbook each day or two, and write up anything that stuck long enough for me to get it on the keyboard.

If you are inviting me to let you know next time I head over the pond, I certainly will, but don't hold your breath. My trip to France in 2015 was the first time back in thirty-four years. Of course, it made me want to go right back again, but that fits neither my budget nor my lifestyle. Still, you never know. I think a visit with you and Rosie would be a blast.

Jennifer

I'm a "little Old Lady in Tennis Shoes" (LOLITS) from Eastern Oregon. I love to travel by train, though I live way out in the toolies, far from the nearest Amtrak station (Chemult). My station would have been Baker City, but they cancelled the Oregon Pioneer just before I took my first long-distance train trip as an adult. I've taken most trains in the West, but I'm still exploring new routes in the east.

#125 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:09 AM

I'm honestly loving your trip so much I'm trying to convince some of my friends to do a version of it with md

View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net

Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)

Steam Engines I've worked behind

Norfolk & Western No. 611

Nickel Plate Road No. 765

Southern Pacific No. 4449

#126 trainman74

trainman74

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 03:19 PM

When you named the station trainman it all came back. North Hollywood station is at the terminus of the express bus too. Get off bus, walk about 100 yards and you are at the Metro station, that's a proper joined up transport system. Thanks for bringing that back, how did you know where it was?

I live here. :) I've been to that station many times.

There's another photo from that station too, it's a mural inside the station of what looks a lot like somewhere in California, or it does to a European. I'll try post it later.

That mural is a collage of images related to North Hollywood: an aerial view of the Valley at night, a car and a tract house, a palm tree, a land deed from the original developer (the Lankershim Ranch Land & Water Company -- you may note that the North Hollywood station is located on Lankershim Boulevard).

#127 v v

v v

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:27 PM

Day 29 - Monday 27 March ~ New Orleans ~ first visit day 1

Our hostel in the Garden District was, well sort of different, yes funky would describe it. Good humoured and helpful staff, mainly but not only early twenties people, would book again.

We are two days in New Orleans, heard a lot about it but never visited before. Surprisingly warm but not too humid. Decided we wanted to cross the Mississippi on a real boat so took the ferry. Once we were in Algiers Point we were sucked into the network of roads lined with old south types properties. Stopped to talk with 2 ladies sitting on their porch, they said it was the very best place to live as it is so laid back, only drawback they could see was the humidity which arrives later in the year. They said it didn't affect them as they were born there, but it does affect incomers.

We re-crossed the Mississippi as we wanted to visit the in-town Katrina museum, it's at the Louisiana State Museum in the Presbytere. There are 2 separate exhibitions, we wanted the 'Living with Hurricanes: Katrina and Beyond'. A short walk into the French Quarter and we are there, we'd be back to the French Quarter the next day too.

The Hurricane exhibition is fabulous, it's story of great human suffering and how most overcame their enormous loss. The exhibition is also honest enough to point out the incompetence along with the wonderful, I'll leave my comments there.

Part way round the exhibition I realise I have lost our phone. As most other people we now have our life and our business in it. Double, treble and quadruple check it's not with me and remember putting on to the table at 'Toute de suite', that is now 3 hours ago so what are the chances it are still there?  Rosie is nowhere to be seen so go to the entrance and speak with the security person there, explain where I hope/think the phone is, what it is and at what table we were sitting at. He offers to call the café and does so immediately. He explains and they go to look, not on the table, customers who have been in the café all afternoon haven't seen it and it's not been handed in. They ask for another number so if it turns up they can call, but we only have one phone with us in the US. They take the name of the hostel, everybody is doing all they can. I thank the security profusely and go to find Rosie, this is bad. Rosie gives me little jobs in life, one of mine is to always know where the phone is. Can't duck it, it's my fault 101%. Tell Rosie we have a bit of a disaster, I've lost the phone as I left it on the table in the café. I'm thinking how much effort it will be to get all the information back."  She says "no you haven't it's in my handbag, look here it is!". Me, "why have you got it? " I'm stunned as it's not lost and stunned to know how Rosie for the first time ever has our phone. "You left it on the table in the café, so I picked it up". Phewww.

Back to the security man, explain again and he grins, "don't worry man, I'll phone the café right back" which he does and they say they are pleased for me. After saying sorry 79 times he says "it's not a big deal for me to phone for you, my wife does this to me all the time. I know where I put my pen down, but when I put my hand out for it it's gone, she's tidied up again" and he laughs. There is this big burley man who totes a big gun trying to make me feel not so bad, how sweet.

So another misadventure over, back to the museum. This whole Hurricane and reasons for flooding gives Rosie and I lots to talk about. This really is a great museum.

The boarding pier for the Canal Street to Algiers Point ferry ~ is there anything you can do?

Attached File  S12723.1.jpg   154.48KB   4 downloads

The village of Algiers Point have homes with great porches, they looked oh-so comfortable and some were quite vivid

Attached File  S12743.1.jpg   171.61KB   4 downloads

Attached File  S12750.1.jpg   162.23KB   4 downloads

Small café in the heart of town, the name 'Tout de Suite' attracted us. Good drinks, good food, good atmoshphere and sassy with a smile staff. We could recommend this welcoming café and it features later in the day too.

Attached File  S12766.1.jpg   166.26KB   4 downloads

Attached File  S12770.1.jpg   195.48KB   4 downloads

Vivid...  possibly need shades to sit here

Attached File  S12778.1.jpg   178.84KB   4 downloads

What a tree, the photo doesn't do it justice or it's actual size

Attached File  s12779.1.jpg   225.99KB   4 downloads

It really exists, we found it!

Attached File  S12832.1.jpg   936.7KB   4 downloads

Fascinated by the water coming off the paddle wheel of the Natchez, it's almost art to me 

Attached File  S12817.1.jpg   108.06KB   4 downloads

Edited by v v, 20 April 2017 - 04:30 AM.

#128 oregon pioneer

oregon pioneer

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,671 posts
  • Interests:Cross-country skiing, forestry, botany, solar power, gardening and food!

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:04 PM

OH my, lovelovelove the colors! :wub:

Jennifer

I'm a "little Old Lady in Tennis Shoes" (LOLITS) from Eastern Oregon. I love to travel by train, though I live way out in the toolies, far from the nearest Amtrak station (Chemult). My station would have been Baker City, but they cancelled the Oregon Pioneer just before I took my first long-distance train trip as an adult. I've taken most trains in the West, but I'm still exploring new routes in the east.

#129 caravanman

caravanman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,815 posts
  • Interests:Open minded travel, in which the journey is often as interesting as the destination...

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:51 AM

Great post, brought back memories of my own visits to New Orleans. Like yourselves, I took the ferry across to Algiers. I loved being able to trail my hand in the Mississippi water, and enjoyed the different vibe on that side of the river. Beignets was the only Big Easy disappointment, much prefer doughnuts!

Was there still much sign of the Katrina damage in town, Canal Street was still rather battered on my visits?

I would be interested to know the name of the hostel you used while there?

Thanks again, love your pics too,

Ed.

#130 v v

v v

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:11 PM

Day 30 - Monday 28 March ~ New Orleans ~ first visit day 2

Getting near to the end of our journey, another day in New Orleans, 2 days on the Amtrak Crescent up to New York and a plane the same evening back to London via Lisbon. We're feeling a little tired so decide to have an easy day. Stroll down to Wal-Mart to buy two fleece blankets for the tomorrow evening in coach, some fruit and trail mix, a couple of bottles of water, we're all set there.

Bus directly outside the hostel down to Canal Street and we walk the river front, it's a lovely day. We do like the Mississippi river, have seen it in 3 or 4 different States and it always impresses. It helps we both enjoy reading Mark Twain and lived on a canal boat for 5 years, even barges can be beautiful if you squint a little.

Eventually we find ourselves near to the Presbytere where there are street artists, music and small groups of people standing, sitting and listening. It's a nice atmosphere and we enjoy an hour or so watching mainly some very good musicians. Pretty fascinated too the way each band is fluid with members coming and going. It's interesting to watch someone arrive on a bicycle with a small trailer, take out an instrument, maybe give another instrument to someone who is already playing something different, then just join in mid way through a tune. Sometimes a band would be 5 people, 10 minutes later it's 10 people, then back down to 8. 

Were not musical so don't know how it works but it does, all sounded really good to us. Stroll some more, down this road and up that, to us New Orleans has a charm that is undeniable. I was prepared for a completely over the top, tacky tourist hell hole, and it is probably all of these things but it carries it off with panache somehow, almost defying gravity in the same way Las Vegas does.

We catch another bus back to the Garden District and now it's evening so will eat out there somewhere, we find a Gem of a Vietnamese restaurant, maybe a 1/3 full. Immaculate service, fast and very correct but again friendly (this is New Orleans). Great meal and great service from the family running this place. Ask the owner if she is always this busy (it was filling up fast), she said this is the slack time, 8pm, often people queue outside and round the corner but that doesn't start for another hour.

We have to re-pack (yet again) for our flight in 2 days time, we wont have the chance once we arrive in NYC. Next morning we have to be up at 4:00 am so we can breakfast, shower and finish packing, so a late early night for us.

New Orleans

Attached File  S12860.1.jpg   164.11KB   3 downloads

Attached File  S12870.1.jpg   283.88KB   3 downloads

Attached File  S12882.1.jpg   201.32KB   3 downloads

Attached File  S12910.1.jpg   1.6MB   3 downloads

Attached File  S12912.1.jpg   129.8KB   3 downloads

Now here's a story. The cat is alive, not attached to the backpack or the young man and just sits there when he and his girlfriend are on the move. Saw them walking along, they'd stop and look, we'd stop in other places and look until the girlfriend and Rosie disappeared into the same shop. I walk over and ask is the cat real, of course it is. They found this abandoned kitten maybe 6? months before and looked after him a little, but they were just about to leave Seattle where they live and were headed for the warmth of southern California for the winter. They hitch hike everywhere, so does the cat. If they are moving he takes his position and sits right where he is in the photo. Has never jumped off unless they stop, even they are amazed. They are headed back up to Seattle in the morning, I ask why they don't take a Greyhound as it's not so much money "Greyhound wont allow him so we hike". I mention Amtrak do allow small dogs so that may be an idea for the future, at which girlfriend and then Rosie appear. They and we are off and we wish them luck, off they go on their travels...  with of course 'Charlie'

Attached File  S12926.1.jpg   128.07KB   4 downloads

Edited by v v, 20 April 2017 - 04:49 PM.

#131 caravanman

caravanman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,815 posts
  • Interests:Open minded travel, in which the journey is often as interesting as the destination...

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:21 PM

Love the first photo of the musician guys, it is so full of their energetic musical Oomph!

Nice to see the Mardi Gras beads hanging, and the wrought iron balconies too.

Ed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users