26 replies to this topic

#21 Palmetto

Palmetto

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:22 AM

Getting OUT of the US isn't the problem.  I've found that getting back IN is.  If I were you, I would keep your itinerary as is, and take the Cascades to get back into the country from Vancouver, BC.  It's a sealed train, and there is no delay at the border like there is at Rouse's Point and Niagara Falls.

#22 zephyr17

zephyr17

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,125 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 04:37 PM

While the train does run sealed through Canada, the southbound Cascades DOES stop at the border to do Customs inspection (US Immigration is done in the Vancouver station).  However, having ridden the Cascades (a lot), as well as the Maple Leaf and the Adirondack, the Customs only inspection at Blaine is briefer and much easier than either the Maple Leaf or the Adirondack.

Edited by zephyr17, 17 February 2017 - 04:38 PM.

SP Coast Daylight, AT&SF San Diegan, AT&SF Super Chief, D&RGW Rio Grande Zephyr, Southwest Limited/Chief, San Diegan/Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin, Cascades, California/San Francisco Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Sunset Limited (LA-Orlando), Desert Wind, Pioneer, City of New Orleans, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited, Cardinal, Hoosier State (Amtrak),  Hoosier State (Iowa Pacific), Ann Rutledge, Adirondack, Maple Leaf, NE Regional, Capitol Limited, Via Canadian (CP route), Via Super Continental, Via Atlantic Limited, Via Hudson Bay, Via Skeena, Via Canadian (CN route), Via "Corridor" (Toronto-Montreal), BC Rail Cariboo Dayliner, Eurostar, Thalys, DB, Netherlands Rail, Austrian Railways, BR, Korail (conventional), Korail KTX

#23 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,173 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 18 February 2017 - 11:16 AM

One exception about smooth transit through the Blaine Customs inspection on the US bound Cascade is if they happen to have some tipoff on illicit materials on the train. At that point all bets are off. Has happened to me once.

#24 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,782 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 05:55 PM

I do not think Prestige class is worth it UNLESS you are loaded with disposable funds.  Some elderly (and disabled) friends from Orlando did Prestige class last year.  The wife, who is disabled, loved it.  The husband, who is able-bodied, and paid the bill, did not think it was worth it (other than making his wife happy).

When I took the Canadian in Dec 2010, I got an express deal and paid next to nothing for a room for 2.  Things are different now.  

Winnipeg holds a special place for me.  Going outside in Winnipeg was the only time in my life that I experienced below zero F temperature.   It was 15 below and I did not stay outside long.  

Amtrak miles: 203,600; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion (1973), Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle, Missouri River Runner, Acela Express, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, Northeast Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, Empire Service, Sunset Limited, San Joaquin, Capitol Corridor, Pennsylvanian, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Autumn Express 2015, Ethan Allen Express, AEM-7 Excursion, Pacific Surfliner; Lakeshore Limited (BOS-ALB), Autumn Express 2016, Palmetto.

VIA miles: 4,584; Routes: The Canadian (westbound), Ocean.

#25 Montreal Ltd

Montreal Ltd

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 01:01 AM

LOL last time I was in Winnipeg, in Feb 1981, the actual temperature was minus 39 centigrade! Absolutely no wind ( for a change)

#26 Montreal Ltd

Montreal Ltd

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 01:03 AM

And bear in mind that minus 40 is the same in Fahrenheit as in Celsius.

#27 trainman74

trainman74

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 04:44 PM

And bear in mind that minus 40 is the same in Fahrenheit as in Celsius.

Contemplating this will allow you to forget how cold you are, for about 5 or 6 seconds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users