Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Southwest Chief Train 3 Last July During The Summer Of Breakdowns

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 seat38a

seat38a

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes, And Web App Development

Posted 29 January 2017 - 03:58 PM

DSC09088.jpg

I've finally finished the trip report for my trip on the Soutwest Chief from last July during the summer of constant breakdowns. We traveled from ABQ - LAUS. My mom has been patient with Amtrak so far but after this trip on the SWC and couple other massive delays on the corridor routes, she wants a break from Amtrak.

Full report including photos can be found below.

http://seat38a.com/a...deluxe-bedroom/

#2 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,204 posts
  • Interests:Riding Trains Often!!

Posted 29 January 2017 - 04:58 PM

Engine problems are the bane of Amtrak travel. My GF had a 7 hour delay on the Lincoln service because of engine problems.

#3 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,088 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, music, dancing, and looking for new adventures

Posted 29 January 2017 - 05:05 PM

Your pictures are great, especially for first-time travelers who want to know what the rooms and showers look like.

That picture of the Gallup station at night makes me nostalgic for long-distance trips. It's been too long.

Amtrak Miles: 39,318

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#4 seat38a

seat38a

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 05:33 PM

Your pictures are great, especially for first-time travelers who want to know what the rooms and showers look like.

That picture of the Gallup station at night makes me nostalgic for long-distance trips. It's been too long.

Thanks! I try to take pictures for my trip reports so they can be as informative as possible. There are two questions that I get asked a lot. 1 is how does one ride Amtrak and 2 is what does the room and the facilities look like. For the second question, I like to show them photos rather than trying to explain it in words.

Edited by seat38a, 29 January 2017 - 05:34 PM.

#5 seat38a

seat38a

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 05:36 PM

Engine problems are the bane of Amtrak travel. My GF had a 7 hour delay on the Lincoln service because of engine problems.

Yes, it seems to be getting worse and worse. In 2016, the breakdowns and cancellations were really starting to test my patience as well.

#6 crabby_appleton1950

crabby_appleton1950

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Interests:Reading all types of fiction and nonfiction; football; travel by all methods

Posted 31 January 2017 - 04:03 PM

Is the first photo in this thread ABQ?  Is that a ramp to walk up and into the train car?  When I go I always have to step up onto a stool, and I'm a disabled guy with bad legs, using a cane.

The Amtrak folk just stand there, watching me, thinking "Hurry up, old man", never hearing my request for assistance.

As for the ABQ depot, I always find it full of what appear to be street people.  They hang around the men's room door, apparently sizing you up as you enter, occupy every stall (perhaps sleeping) and stand at each sink combing their hair for hours.

#7 printman2000

printman2000

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,696 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 10:16 PM

It is a ramp for a wheelchair.

#8 seat38a

seat38a

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 12:24 PM

Is the first photo in this thread ABQ?  Is that a ramp to walk up and into the train car?  When I go I always have to step up onto a stool, and I'm a disabled guy with bad legs, using a cane.

The Amtrak folk just stand there, watching me, thinking "Hurry up, old man", never hearing my request for assistance.

As for the ABQ depot, I always find it full of what appear to be street people.  They hang around the men's room door, apparently sizing you up as you enter, occupy every stall (perhaps sleeping) and stand at each sink combing their hair for hours.

Yes it is a ramp and it is ABQ. They put it down for the family boarding with someone in a wheelchair. ABQ station is definitely has the feel of an inner city station. Yes I know what you mean by the restroom. It wasn't clean and smelled worse like everyone who came through gave themselves a sponge bath.

Edited by seat38a, 01 February 2017 - 12:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users