• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 29 January 2017 - 11:08 AM

USA Today...

"Your conductor, or provodnik, will provide linens, a blanket and a towel; you are responsible for making up your own bunk and for stripping it at the end of your journey. Your provodnik will scowl mightily if you do not do this in a timely fashion."
http://usat.ly/2jEItfx

Edited by FrensicPic, 29 January 2017 - 11:35 AM.

John...

22,913 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder and Capitol Limited.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

6489 more miles booked

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/<p> 

#2 oregon pioneer

oregon pioneer

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts
  • Interests:Cross-country skiing, forestry, botany, solar power, gardening and food!

Posted 29 January 2017 - 03:50 PM

Loved the story and photos! I will not get to go there, so it's a wonderful chance for vicarious travel.

Jennifer

I'm a "little Old Lady in Tennis Shoes" (LOLITS) from Eastern Oregon. I love to travel by train, though I live way out in the toolies, far from the nearest Amtrak station (Chemult). My station would have been Baker City, but they cancelled the Oregon Pioneer just before I took my first long-distance train trip as an adult. I've taken most trains in the West, but I'm still exploring new routes in the east.

#3 Chessie

Chessie

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 05:20 PM

Is that the longest one seat ride in the world?

One week? Two weeks?

Definitely on my bucket list. :)

#4 Palmetto

Palmetto

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 11:27 AM

Loved the story and photos! I will not get to go there, so it's a wonderful chance for vicarious travel.

Agree wholeheartedly.  I do a lot of that! :) 

#5 Palmetto

Palmetto

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 11:29 AM

​One thing that has been pointed out is that besides going to Vladivostok, there is a weekly train that runs to/from Beijing.  I would find that quite interesting.  First class fare I saw for the trip was about $1200 [for a room for two], and I believe meals are extra.

#6 hermit

hermit

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Interests:Trains,Art,Glass,Food,Outdoors

Posted 30 January 2017 - 11:58 AM

That looks fun,on the bucket list!!

Amtrak Routes taken

Coast Starlight(Lax-Sea)

California Zephyr(Emy-Chi)

Empire Builder (Chi-Sea)

Southwest Chief (Lax-Abq)

Pere Marquette(Chi-Grr)

#7 ScouseAndy

ScouseAndy

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 12:00 PM

​One thing that has been pointed out is that besides going to Vladivostok, there is a weekly train that runs to/from Beijing.  I would find that quite interesting.  First class fare I saw for the trip was about $1200 [for a room for two], and I believe meals are extra.

Many tour operators will price for this however it can booked very easily and cheaper direct, also there is not 1 but 2 weekly trains between Moscow and Beijing- one passes thru Mongolia and the other goes around to avoid the additional visa.

Further to this if you are breaking your journey on top the direct services there is additional trains between Irkutsk and Ullan Bator or Ullan Bator and Beijing meaning if you wished to break your journey in UB (and I'd recommend this) you can without having to wait a week to continue your on ward journey.

#8 Palmetto

Palmetto

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 05:53 PM

Sounds good, but due to a medical condition, I cannot walk very far.  And I have a feeling the services to the disabled are not what they are in North America, but I've got no empirical evidence of that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users