Photo

Paris to Warsaw on a Russian Railroad Train! (Summer 2016)

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 ScouseAndy

ScouseAndy

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 02:15 AM

I can also vouch for the safety of sleeper trains thru Poland - I've never seen or heard of any issues.

I have many Polish friends and from personal experience find that as a society they tend to err on the side of caution and are over protective of international visitors so the country is always viewed in the best light and their guests don't have any negative experiences and have been told that this attitude harks back to the soviet era and they are keen to present themselves in the best possible light.

#22 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 01 February 2017 - 11:36 PM

One thing of note this train from Paris-Berlin-Moscow is about to be upgraded from the Siemens cars to Talgo cars with gauge changing wheels. Which is supposed to cut I think four to six hours off the timetable.

View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net

Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)

Steam Engines I've worked behind

Norfolk & Western No. 611

Nickel Plate Road No. 765

Southern Pacific No. 4449

#23 Metra Electric Rider

Metra Electric Rider

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 04:48 PM

Barciur - you aren't an MD with a degree from Gdansk, are you? (if you are we are distant cousins)

SJ - Norra Stambanan, Nordvästra stambanan, Södra stambanan, Dalabanan

NSB- Bergensbanen, Kongsvingerbanen, Rørosbanen, Dovrebanen, Flåmsbana, Roa–Hønefossbanen

Amtrak - Floridian, San Francisco Zephyr, Southwest Limited, Illini, State House

#24 Barciur

Barciur

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 01:24 AM

One thing of note this train from Paris-Berlin-Moscow is about to be upgraded from the Siemens cars to Talgo cars with gauge changing wheels. Which is supposed to cut I think four to six hours off the timetable.

True. There is a Berlin - Moscow train already running on Talgo. It will be interesting to see when they start this and how it runs, as it should also have seating cars for intra-EU travel. :)

Barciur - you aren't an MD with a degree from Gdansk, are you? (if you are we are distant cousins)

I am not. ;)

#25 Metra Electric Rider

Metra Electric Rider

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 09:50 AM

I am not. ;)

Well, guess we're not related... :P

(Reason I asked is I have a distant cousin who meets those criteria in your locality)

Edited by Metra Electric Rider, 03 February 2017 - 09:59 AM.

SJ - Norra Stambanan, Nordvästra stambanan, Södra stambanan, Dalabanan

NSB- Bergensbanen, Kongsvingerbanen, Rørosbanen, Dovrebanen, Flåmsbana, Roa–Hønefossbanen

Amtrak - Floridian, San Francisco Zephyr, Southwest Limited, Illini, State House

#26 Carolyn Jane

Carolyn Jane

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 11:42 PM

I am Carolyn Jane's sister.  In 2010 I accompanied my daughter Elizabeth and her 19 month old twins to 

Russia to spend two weeks with her husband's family.  We flew into Moscow and took the train to Saratov, on the Volga, a 15 hour trip.  Our train going down was circa 1950, same setup as the new ones, but no fancy card entry.  The toilet was at one end of the car and looked as though it emptied out on the tracks,  At the other end was a coal stove which produced tea, which was the only thing available.  

The trains were electric.  There was a carpet on the floor and a threadbare carpet in the walkway.  The beds were OK, but the ladder to the upper birth was hard on bare feet.  In spite of one of the twins screaming off and on all night I thoroughly enjoyed myself,  My favorite souvenir of Russia is the tea glass and holder from the train.  The trip back up to Moscow was on a newer car, but not that new.  This is the train that you may take to Kazakhstan.  Mary

#27 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 08 February 2017 - 12:55 PM

True. There is a Berlin - Moscow train already running on Talgo. It will be interesting to see when they start this and how it runs, as it should also have seating cars for intra-EU travel. :)

I am not. ;)
Right now the train is running from Berlin Ost to Moscow Kurskaja only on Saturday and Sunday from Moscow and Sunday and Monday from Berlin. RZD claims it's a success so....

View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net

Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)

Steam Engines I've worked behind

Norfolk & Western No. 611

Nickel Plate Road No. 765

Southern Pacific No. 4449

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users