35 replies to this topic

#21 me_little_me

me_little_me

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 12:57 PM

I'm doing roomette trip in April, Crescent NOL to DC, Capitol Limited DC to CHI, and California Zephyr CHI to EMY for 26,000 points.  I consider that a good deal.  In a roundabout way I am traveling across at least three old zone boundaries.

Using lowest bucket prices for April, I came up with 36,984 points for that trip as a senior, in roomettes. How did you do that ? 

As a senior? Seniors get no special deal when using points. Point price is based on adult fare.

I am a senior. I didn't write that seniors got a special deal on points. Do you agree ?

No. Stating "for that trip as a senior" strongly implies, if not outright says "I got that because I am a senior". Being a senior had nothing to do with the points cost and I wanted to make sure you and, most importantly, anyone else reading your comment who didn't know, that seniors not only get no points break but get lesser value for their points because they pay the same points fare but a lower cash fare for their trip.

#22 benale

benale

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 08:16 PM

I miss the old system.It enabled me to take many long distance trips the longest way possible. With the 100 point minimum I took many point runs.During Double Days.I would earn 450 points for an$11 round trip with select.Since AGR 2.0 I have traveled far less and my Select status ends attbe end of February. That said, the only advantage of the new system is that many shorter trips require far less points.Best example Cleveland Chicago or any short run that used to require two zones.

#23 calwatch

calwatch

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 02:15 AM

The new system works better for short haulers and single travelers who book medium term (7-21 days in advance). It is less good for long distance travelers and those who book well ahead of schedule to be in the low bucket.

#24 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,394 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 10 February 2017 - 05:48 AM

Why would it be less beneficial to people that book far enough out to be in the low bucket? They'll see the greatest gains, since the corresponding point cost is lower.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#25 calwatch

calwatch

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 12:32 AM

Because the lowest fares, the "saver" ones as well as SmartFares, are not eligible to be purchased with points. 

#26 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,934 posts
  • Interests:Planning my next trip

Posted 11 February 2017 - 12:56 AM

No, any current bucket can be used to redeem using points. What can not be used are any discounts like AAA or NARP. The point conversion is based on the full adult fare for that bucket.

Thus if the available buckets are $129, $142 and $155 with the current available being the $129, the points are computed using $129 not $155.
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#27 gatelouse

gatelouse

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 01:23 AM

Because the lowest fares, the "saver" ones as well as SmartFares, are not eligible to be purchased with points. 

The above is correct.

No, any current bucket can be used to redeem using points.

The above is well-intentioned but not correct.

As a rule of thumb, fares that can't be combined with discounts also can't be redeemed with AGR points. I know of only one exception.

Edited by gatelouse, 11 February 2017 - 01:29 AM.

Ridden, now gone: 3 Rivers 10/6 sleeper; SL East; Pennsy to CHI; Superliner Card; Shoreliner sleeper; Heritage Adirondack; Metroclub; NE Direct inland NHV-SPG-BOS

#28 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,934 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 01:48 AM

That's just what I said above.

Using my example, if the current bucket is $129, the points will be computed using the full adult fare of $129. It will NOT be computed on the AAA fare of $116.10 ($129 - 10%)!
Take it easy .......

#29 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,257 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 07:30 AM

That's just what I said above.

Using my example, if the current bucket is $129, the points will be computed using the full adult fare of $129. It will NOT be computed on the AAA fare of $116.10 ($129 - 10%)!

Dave, I just did a test.  Showing Saver, Value, Flexible.  The Value fare was the one that converted to points, not the saver fare.

2011: Jun: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // Nov: WIL=>WAS=>CHI=>PRO (NER=>CL=>CZ)
2012: Apr: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // May(NTD): WIL=>PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>PAO=>PHL (Keystone) // Aug: WIL=>WAS (NER) / BWI=>WIL (NER) // Oct(Gathering): PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>HAR=>PHL (Keystone) / SEPTA, NJT, PATCO, River Line, Princeton Dinky
2013: May(NTD): WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct (Gathering): WIL=>CHI (Card) / CHI=>MKE=>GLN=>CHI() / CHI=>JOL=>CHI () / CHI=>WIL(CL=>NER) / CTA, Metra. SEPTA (WIL=>NRK) // Nov:  PHL=>PHL (Autumn Express) 
2014: May(NTD):  WIL=>PHL=>WIL(NER) // May:  WIL=>BOS=>WIL(NER) day trip

2014: Oct(Gathering): WIL=>NYP=>TOL(pd-NER=>LSL) / TOL=>CHI=>LAX=>EMY(pts-LSL=>SWC=>CS) / EMY=>CHI=>TOL (pts-CZ-CL) / TOL=>WAS=>WIL(pd-CL=>NER)
2015: May: CHI=>CIN(pd-Card) / CIN=>WIL(pts Card)
2015;  Oct(Gathering):  WIL=>WAS(Acela) / ALX=>WAS(NER) / WAS=>BAL(Acela) / WAS=>WIL(NER)

2016: Mar: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct:  WIL=>NYP=>NYP=>WIL (Autumn Express) 

#30 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,934 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 09:20 AM

Right & wrong.

The Saver fare is not eligible because it includes a discount already. It is computed as 20-25% off the lowest "normal" bucket. That is why you can not use a (for example) AAA discount on a Saver fare. You can't combine 2 discounts on the same fare. (You would be trying to combine a 10% discount on top of a 20-25% discount.)
Take it easy .......

#31 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,613 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 11 February 2017 - 09:46 AM

I am confused with the statement that seems to have a zen of its own

The bottom line is you cannot get an award ticket using the number of points computed based on a Saver fare. The rest of the reason and such other complication is irrelevant to a lay traveler. That is my understanding of the bottom line. Is that wrong?

#32 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,934 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 10:01 AM

No, you're correct.

It's relevant to the lay person because they wonder why they can not get their normal senior discount (of 15%) to work on the Saver fare. It shows a message saying it is ineligible for that fare - and it is the same as the "normal" Saver fare.
Take it easy .......

#33 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,257 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 10:03 AM

Right & wrong.

The Saver fare is not eligible because it includes a discount already. It is computed as 20-25% off the lowest "normal" bucket. That is why you can not use a (for example) AAA discount on a Saver fare. You can't combine 2 discounts on the same fare. (You would be trying to combine a 10% discount on top of a 20-25% discount.)

We're talking points, not discount w/saver fare.  The points are calculated on the Value Fare, not the Saver Fare.  The Saver Fare is the NEC's 25% off with 14+ days advanced purchase.

2011: Jun: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // Nov: WIL=>WAS=>CHI=>PRO (NER=>CL=>CZ)
2012: Apr: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // May(NTD): WIL=>PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>PAO=>PHL (Keystone) // Aug: WIL=>WAS (NER) / BWI=>WIL (NER) // Oct(Gathering): PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>HAR=>PHL (Keystone) / SEPTA, NJT, PATCO, River Line, Princeton Dinky
2013: May(NTD): WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct (Gathering): WIL=>CHI (Card) / CHI=>MKE=>GLN=>CHI() / CHI=>JOL=>CHI () / CHI=>WIL(CL=>NER) / CTA, Metra. SEPTA (WIL=>NRK) // Nov:  PHL=>PHL (Autumn Express) 
2014: May(NTD):  WIL=>PHL=>WIL(NER) // May:  WIL=>BOS=>WIL(NER) day trip

2014: Oct(Gathering): WIL=>NYP=>TOL(pd-NER=>LSL) / TOL=>CHI=>LAX=>EMY(pts-LSL=>SWC=>CS) / EMY=>CHI=>TOL (pts-CZ-CL) / TOL=>WAS=>WIL(pd-CL=>NER)
2015: May: CHI=>CIN(pd-Card) / CIN=>WIL(pts Card)
2015;  Oct(Gathering):  WIL=>WAS(Acela) / ALX=>WAS(NER) / WAS=>BAL(Acela) / WAS=>WIL(NER)

2016: Mar: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct:  WIL=>NYP=>NYP=>WIL (Autumn Express) 

#34 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,613 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 11 February 2017 - 10:22 AM

No, you're correct.

It's relevant to the lay person because they wonder why they can not get their normal senior discount (of 15%) to work on the Saver fare. It shows a message saying it is ineligible for that fare - and it is the same as the "normal" Saver fare.

You have already defined a person who is more than a lay traveler. And still all this has no relevance whatsoever to award travel using points, which I thought was the primary subject of the conversation.

#35 Meat Puppet

Meat Puppet

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 03:56 AM

The new system blows. I travel not to get from point a to b, I travel to ride the train....Long gone are the 3 train, 4 night, 5 day trips for 20,000 points....

#36 PaulM

PaulM

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,067 posts
  • Interests:Bicycling, computer programming, website development, concert band, train travel

Posted 20 February 2017 - 11:15 AM

I'm doing roomette trip in April, Crescent NOL to DC, Capitol Limited DC to CHI, and California Zephyr CHI to EMY for 26,000 points.  I consider that a good deal.  In a roundabout way I am traveling across at least three old zone boundaries.

Using lowest bucket prices for April, I came up with 36,984 points for that trip as a senior, in roomettes. How did you do that ? 

As a senior? Seniors get no special deal when using points. Point price is based on adult fare.

I am a senior. I didn't write that seniors got a special deal on points. Do you agree ?

Sorry Rick.  I was about to make the same comment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users