NEC Suspended

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got into the Club Acela in DC. Apparently things are fixed and trains are on the move, but pretty late. Heard over the radio that SB trains will be moving through DC after 9.

My northbound train 188 is still on the board as being on time. I expect there may be some delays north of Philly.

It was reported as commercial power lines that came down onto the tracks, not the catenary, but I have no independent confirmation of that. Service is supposed to be back as of about an hour ago.

Now NJT has cancelled all east bounds here is the copy of NJT's bulletins.

Travel Alerts

Jan 23, 2017 09:10:05 PM

NEC eastbound trains between Trenton and Metropark are suspended due to an operational issue caused by an earlier overhead wire problem near Linden.

Jan 23, 2017 08:51:16 PM

NEC train #3882, the 9:09pm from Trenton, is CANCELLED due to operational issues as a result of the earlier overhead wire problem.

Jan 23, 2017 08:48:57 PM

NEC train #3880, the 8:39pm from Trenton, is CANCELLED due to operational issues as a result of the earlier overhead wire problem.

Jan 23, 2017 08:17:32 PM

NEC and NJCL rail service has resumed between Penn Station New York and Trenton and Long Branch in both directions. Customers will experience significant delays due to restricted speeds through the Linden area.

My son left NJ on the Raritan Valley Line to return to NYC at 4:10PM today. He got as far as Newark and they announced that neither the Amtrak NE corridor lines or NJT trains were operating into the city at that time. Fortunately the PATH lines that use the old Hudson Tubes to NYC were still in service. He just took that line to 23rd street and ended up 2 blocks from his apartment. Many people are unaware that there are two RR tunnel systems going into Manhattan so an alternate route in saved the day.

Actually there are currently three pairs of tunnels under the Hudson - one pair Amtrak and two pairs PATH.
I stand corrected, but also didn't mention the LIRR and NYC subway tunnels under the east River.
Why one would mention the East River tunnels when one is talking about accessing New York from NJ, beats me.

I'd really like to be on the move so I can get back to Boston by 1, at least! What a long day
Which train are you on?
jb
You passed me just east of SHORE. And damnit lol! You picked 2172 a month after I rode it. Lol!!
Oh trust me, I didn't pick it! it picked me! :p First Class too
Oh now you're really on my poop list! Lol!
I'll give you advanced warning next time, so you can mark off and join me.

Back