Upgrade from roomette to sleeper on Texas Eagle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lionelhoguy

Service Attendant
I am thinking about checking on the price to upgrade to sleeper on today's ride and the return on Feb 4. Will this cause any issues with my ticket, or issues with boarding? Is there a way to check in the upgrade price online?

I don't think so. There was a time, though, when customers were receiving phone calls about their interest in upgrading at a very advantageous price.

First:

1)Log onto Amtrak.com and check on the current prices for Sleeper Rooms

or:

2)Check amsnag. net ( developed by our own Paul M.) for the same info

Then:

3) Call 1-800-USA-RAIL(Toll Free) and once "Julie" answers ask for Agent and a real person will give you the info about today's available fares for the Texas Eagle/ if your current Rail Fare is higher than the Low Coach Bucket, you will get a Reduction in it if you book a Sleeper.

When you do this,ask the Agent to Modify your Rez/ do Not Cancel and Rebook. You can also ask the Agent what Rooms are available and choose your Room if several are! (Upstairs Roomettes #2-10/Downstairs #11-14).

you don't specify if it is for 1 or 2 persons....always keep in mind that the accommodation charge is for the space, the rail fare is per person, and that the accommodation charge includes regular meals. Space for 2 can be a pretty good deal when available at low buckets.

If, however, you purchased your original ticket more than 14 days ago and the coach price back then was the Saver fare, your low bucket coach fare will be 20% greater. Ixnay. Your phrase "Upgrade from roomette to sleeper" had me confusified because a roomette is a sleeper!

Last edited by a moderator:
If, however, you purchased your original ticket more than 14 days ago and the coach price back then was the Saver fare, your low bucket coach fare will be 20% greater. Ixnay. Your phrase "Upgrade from roomette to sleeper" had me confusified because a roomette is a sleeper!
Sorry, I guess I should have said from roomette to bedroom, sorry for the confusion.

When you say we, I'll accept that as 2 .... avail yourself of the lounge when you want a little more space....the roomette is great for privacy and quiet time, but can be tight for 2 otherwise.....there is a luggage rack downstairs where luggage with things that don't need to be immediately at hand, can be stashed. for peace of mind avoid storing high value items or critical supplies like meds.....

When you say we, I'll accept that as 2 .... avail yourself of the lounge when you want a little more space....the roomette is great for privacy and quiet time, but can be tight for 2 otherwise.....there is a luggage rack downstairs where luggage with things that don't need to be immediately at hand, can be stashed. for peace of mind avoid storing high value items or critical supplies like meds.....
Cool, that sounds like a plan. It is only an overnight trip, so a roomette should be fine for us. The lounge on the Empire Builder is always pretty crowded. We will have to see how the Texas Eagle lounge situation is. Sitting in the new Metropolitan Lounge right now, pretty nice.

Back