Service dog stops on Crescent from New Orleans to Washington

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HenryK

Lead Service Attendant
Soon I'll be traveling with my service dog from New Orleans to Washington on the Crescent. While I know that Amtrak will accommodate a service dog for as long as it takes for relief at any station stop, I prefer to work with the crew and use baggage, crew change and engine service stops whenever possible. The timetable indicates the bag stops and the longer stops, but which of these are the crew change and engine service stops? What are the customary "fresh air" stops?

My dog prefers grass, bushes or trees, although in a pinch he'll use a standpipe or platform column when there's nothing else. Which longer stops DON'T have grass convenient to the platform?

Thanks to all.

At Atlanta the train stops to offload of trash but the station there may not have a good dog-walk. Any of the stops at stations with baggage service will likely have a longer stop.

Soon I'll be traveling with my service dog from New Orleans to Washington on the Crescent. While I know that Amtrak will accommodate a service dog for as long as it takes for relief at any station stop, I prefer to work with the crew and use baggage, crew change and engine service stops whenever possible. The timetable indicates the bag stops and the longer stops, but which of these are the crew change and engine service stops? What are the customary "fresh air" stops?
MEI,ATL,CLT,CVS meet your requirement for fresh air and/or servicing/crew change stops.

My dog prefers grass, bushes or trees, although in a pinch he'll use a standpipe or platform column when there's nothing else. Which longer stops DON'T have grass convenient to the platform?

Thanks to all.
I am unable to help you with this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can help you with the southern part of the route, at least. The train is usually in MEI for about five minutes (conductor/engineer change). Not enough time to walk over to the station, but long enough for a service animal break. Just a platform with a second track in MEI. BHM can also be a long stop if the train is on time. No grass there, just platform, and old unused tracks. After BHM, it would be ATL, for a long stop. Again, I don't think there's any grass on track level. Just a narrow platform and the other mainline track right next to it.

At ATL, if you go upstairs, at the top of the stairs to the right is a small park. Sometimes it's locked, but usually not. It has a grassy area.

Thanks to everyone! This information is helpful. Now, how long does the Crescent normally stop at Washington, D.C.? Is there time to take a dog upstairs and out of the station to the grass outside before the train departs, or is that a fool's errand?

Thanks to everyone! This information is helpful. Now, how long does the Crescent normally stop at Washington, D.C.? Is there time to take a dog upstairs and out of the station to the grass outside before the train departs, or is that a fool's errand?
I thought you were getting off in Washington. They do have to do the engine change, but I don't know how long that will take plus it will depend on if you're on time or late since the train can't leave till the scheduled departure time.

The one time I rode through Washington (opposite direction so less likely to be late) I had time to go into the station and down to the food court to grab a lunch - granted, there were not long lines because it was around 11 am. Had there been a long line where I wanted to get my lunch I would have skipped it and headed back to the train (I checked with the conductor how long I had before I went into the station).

I've been on the Crescent several times and I've never had the engine change in DC take any less than 20 minutes, even when we were running late. However, if by some chance you're early (which does happen often on the southbound train), they will stay in DC until the scheduled departure. I've had this be as long as 45 minutes on the southbound one.

Charlotte is a good stop. Unfortunately it's in the middle of the night, but if you're up it works.

While I know that Amtrak will accommodate a service dog for as long as it takes for relief at any station stop, I prefer to work with the crew and use baggage, crew change and engine service stops whenever possible.
Here's a thought. You might want to ask one of the Amtrak people on the train, when/where are the "smoking stops". I am sure that's something they are much more familiar with, than a "dog walkie stop". Such should be long enough of a stop for your dog to do his/her business, and they are use to a passenger temporarily stepping off the train (and most will make sure those passengers get back on before the double toot).

They are supposed to switch from diesel to electric engines at DC. It is a bit of a trek up the stairs and out through the lobby to the lawn area in front and back to the train. Particularly if it's crowded and you're not familiar with the station.

AmtrakBlue, I'm getting off at Alexandria, actually, but this trip is for a new book about traveling with service dogs. That's why my question about Washington. I'd forgotten about the engine changes.

I take the Cap Ltd from Chicago to DC several times a year and know how to beeline out to the lawn in front. But if there's a 15 or 20 minute engine change on the Crescent I can tell the attendant what I'm up to and I'm sure he'll make sure the conductor knows and holds the train for my return if necessary (as Amtrak rules provide for service dogs). But it shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to go out, whiz the dog, and return, and keep everyone happy.

AmtrakBlue, I'm getting off at Alexandria, actually, but this trip is for a new book about traveling with service dogs. That's why my question about Washington. I'd forgotten about the engine changes.

I take the Cap Ltd from Chicago to DC several times a year and know how to beeline out to the lawn in front. But if there's a 15 or 20 minute engine change on the Crescent I can tell the attendant what I'm up to and I'm sure he'll make sure the conductor knows and holds the train for my return if necessary (as Amtrak rules provide for service dogs). But it shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to go out, whiz the dog, and return, and keep everyone happy.
I figured you were asking because of your book. ;) That's why I included my experience to give you an idea of how long it could be.

Here's a thought. You might want to ask one of the Amtrak people on the train, when/where are the "smoking stops". I am sure that's something they are much more familiar with, than a "dog walkie stop". Such should be long enough of a stop for your dog to do his/her business, and they are use to a passenger temporarily stepping off the train (and most will make sure those passengers get back on before the double toot).

The stops I mentioned above include the smoking/fresh air stops.

I do not recommend going upstairs and out of the station to walk the dog. I've seen them perform the engine change and kick the train out ahead of 174 if it is on time.

I would advise against going upstairs at washington. It would work for you, but people reading your book may not have the same sense of direction as you do. I'm not sure how a guide dog functions at retracing steps or if that is even possible.

Warnings from folks such as Thirdrail7, JIS and Steve4031 suggest to me that Washington should be used as a grassy relief stop only in an emergency and only after consultation with the conductors to make sure there is sufficient time. I do believe most service dogs will take advantage of the nearest post on the platform. Trooper wlll, although as a rookie service dog he absolutely had to have something natural to address, like a golfer.

At winter park when I was on 6 (different route) I witnessed a service dog searching for grass. He started towards a steep slope at the edge of the platform where there was grass. He pulled in his owner, and had she not been vigilant she might have ended up negotiating uneven ground.

Just a note. I don't know how #2 is handled in an all concrete environment such as Washington, D.C. This is a very busy platform with passengers and employees moving around during a stop.

A others have pointed out, Crescent at WAS Northbound is discharge only, the train can leave early, Southbound, even if early it will wait for its appointed time.

It's actually a how-to sort of book about traveling with a service dog . . . by air, cruise ship, and highway as well as rail. Look for it in early 2018. It's aimed at new handlers of service dogs rather than the general public. I doubt that most people will be interested.

Back