Does anyone know what train Ex VP Joe Biden is on?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

railpost

Service Attendant
Fox news showed Joe BIden board an Amtrak Acela after the inauguration today. It also showed the train waiting at the station however no one else boarded with the exception of Joe BIdens entourage and wife of course. I suspect that it could be a "special train" however I am not sure. Would anyone on this site know?

Last edited by a moderator:
He and his entourage typically occupy the First Class Car, but today they might have done Business Class. Who knows? And no, it was not a special train. It was a regular service train AFAICT. I am also almost certain that he was pre-boarded and secured before the plebeians were let in

It arrived 2 mins late into Wilmington.

Thanks jis, when he was a Senator he would "work the Train"(Meteoliners and then Acela) like any good politician.

I rode with him several times, a great guy! We need more like him in office!
Perhaps there is a place for him on the Amtrak Board of Directors in the future?

He and his entourage typically occupy the First Class Car, but today they might have done Business Class. Who knows? And no, it was not a special train. It was a regular service train AFAICT. I am also almost certain that he was pre-boarded and secured before the plebeians were let in

The live feed on NBC clearly showed him and his traveling party getting into a Business Class car. The announcer was savvy enough to know that BC was not the premium level of service on the Acela, and noted that. Although I suspect most people watching who don't use Acela would probably assume there are three classes, since it's natural to assume that Business Class would be a level above coach.

After his motorcade left, I joked to someone that he must be off to Union Station to get that Acela back home.

I laughed and laughed minutes later when it turned out it was true.

The live feed on NBC clearly showed him and his traveling party getting into a Business Class car. The announcer was savvy enough to know that BC was not the premium level of service on the Acela, and noted that. Although I suspect most people watching who don't use Acela would probably assume there are three classes, since it's natural to assume that Business Class would be a level above coach.
The whole video was misleading. Did the video actually anything about first class though? Because if not, though I would agree it would cause some confusion, to the untrained eye I would expect one to think only business class and coach are offered.

Also, he got in to the coach in front of the cafe, and walked through both that coach and the quiet car in to first class, like I expected. CNN had a short interview with him while the train was in transit, and there was also a front facing picture which showed the vestibule and the bulkhead door to the engine.

Thanks Triley!

Sounds like "Amtrak Joe" is back to working the train just like he did during his Senate years now that he's no longer the Veep!

Wonder how much he tipped the attendants? He used to, but he didn't have such an entourage in those days when he commuted to/from Wilmington.

On this occasion he was seated and pictured next to Dr. Biden and members of the Delaware delegation in a car with two seats, aisle, two seats across (2x2). Business, not first class this time.

On this occasion he was seated and pictured next to Dr. Biden and members of the Delaware delegation in a car with two seats, aisle, two seats across (2x2). Business, not first class this time.
Now that we're further past and it's easier to research, you're right. The photo I saw must've been one from a previous trip, because it did show an end car. The video I found of him exiting on Friday wasn't an end car.

I can't remember. Is First Class on the NYP end or the WAS end?

I'm wondering if he exited at the front of the train so as to use the elevator rather than the stairs for his "entrance" into the station.

Any time I see 2166 in WAS, it's on the NYP end. I'm not sure if this is in my head or not, but it seems to me that wherever the set/crew originated, the first class car will be on the trailing end. In any rare case that we depart with first class on the front from Boston, they usually wye the train in WAS to orientate the first class car in the direction it "should" be. So, we pull in with the car on the end of the train facing the station, and wye the train to put it on the side facing opposite the station.

Back