7 replies to this topic

#1 Anthony V

Anthony V

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 08:11 PM

You may have heard about a proposed Oklahoma City - South Texas Corridor being in the works. The corridor is currently in the Draft EIS phase, which should be complete fairly soon, according to an July 2016 news article.

An Aug 2016 news article mentions the following:

"Two potential South Texas routes were selected for further study, according to [Rep. Henry] Cuellar. The first would originate in San Antonio and travel south outside of existing transportation corridors to a station near the Laredo-Columbia Solidarity Bridge. That route would then cross on a new railway bridge to join a new rail line which would continue to Monterrey, Mexico.

Cuellar said that route would have the potential for high-speed rail service, with trains traveling at speeds of 180 to 220 miles per hour.

The second route would begin in San Antonio and travel southeast to Alice. At Alice, the route would divide into three legs. The first leg would travel to San Diego, Texas and then to the Laredo area. The second leg would travel south along abandoned railroad tracks to McAllen and east to Harlingen and Brownsville, while the third would travel east along the KCS Railway to Corpus Christi."TexasOklahomaPassengerRailStudyRoutes.pn

I'm in favor of the second route because it would serve all of South Texas' major cities (Laredo, Corpus Christi, Brownsville, and McAllen), while the first option would only serve Laredo. For the OKC - SAS segment, I presume it would be cheapest to use the existing routes of the Heartland Flyer and Texas Eagle, as the stations already exist. To simplify negotiations with BNSF, the FTW - SAS portion could use the time slot currently used by the Texas Eagle, with the TE being rerouted to continue west of FTW and make the Sunset Limited connection in El Paso. This would also simplify operations on the TE by allowing it to run on an all Union Pacific routing.

http://offthekuff.com/wp/?p=75450

http://offthekuff.com/wp/?p=75688

Tell me what you think about this.

Edited by Anthony V, 19 January 2017 - 12:23 PM.

Trains I've traveled on:

Metra:

BNSF Railway Line

Union Pacific Northwest Line

Union Pacific West Line

Tourist railroads:

Rockford Park District Trolley Car #36 - Rockford, IL

Illinois Railway Museum - Union, IL

Mid-Continent Railway Museum - North Freedom, WI

#2 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,756 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 06:45 PM

I think this is no closer to getting funding.  It's a sop to Cuellar who represents the southern part of Texas, but he doesn't have enough allies.

Laredo, McAllen, Brownsville, and Corpus Christi all need passenger trains, like, yesterday, but, well, good luck.

--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#3 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,310 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 19 January 2017 - 07:20 PM

Chances of this happening are about the same as a Democrat getting elected to Statewide Office in Deep Red Texas! 😒

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#4 Palmetto

Palmetto

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 09:02 AM

Agree, unfortunately. 

#5 WoodyinNYC

WoodyinNYC

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 01:09 PM

I think this is no closer to getting funding.  It's a sop to Cuellar who represents [Laredo].

Laredo, McAllen, Brownsville, and Corpus Christi all need passenger trains, like, yesterday, but, well, good luck.

It's a solid step forward.

Don't know when we'll see a second step, but I'm sure we will. So it's good to have the paperwork in order when the panicked call comes for "More shovel-ready projects, PLEASE!"

That call could come after another massive crash from a lightly regulated Wall Street (nah, that'll never happen) or a thermonuclear temper tantrum in the Middle East (or at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue) or a storm surge of globally warmed sea water into the lobby of Mar-a-Lago (well, a boy can dream, no?).

Under another scenario, the HSR line linking Houston-Dallas is a great success. Then in the usual sort of sibling rivalry, Austin and San Antonio clamor for a similar link to the DFW Metroplex.

Anyway this step helps us get ready for any sudden change. It could happen.

#6 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,869 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 20 January 2017 - 02:07 PM

The day that San Antonio worries about trains instead of building a few more lanes of highway is a day that won;t happen in many decades in my reckoning. But we can all dream.

And through service to Mexico? yeah right! Wake me up when that happens. :)

#7 norfolkwesternhenry

norfolkwesternhenry

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Boating, Trains, Mountain Biking, Trains, Having Fun, Trains, working on my bikes, Trains, planning my next trip, PV

Posted 20 January 2017 - 07:49 PM

For political reasons, getting into Mexico could have a YUGE roadblock

Empire Builder MSP-CHI (2) CHI-MSP (2) MSP-PDX (1) MSP-CBS (5.5 H late) (1) MKE-MSP (1) MSP-SEA (1) Coast Starlate PDX-EMY (1.5H late) (1) California Zephyr DEN-SLC (1H late) (1) Hiawatha CHI-MKE (1) NE Regional WAS-BAL (1) WAS-NYP (1) Acela Express BAL-WAS (1) BOS-WAS (1) Late Shore (Limited service) CHI-BOS (On Time) (1) Capitol Limited WAS-CHI (1) Texas Eagle SAS-CHI (1) Wolverine DET-DER-ARB-CHI (35 Min late) (1) Cascades SEA-VAC (1)
Non-Amtrak: VIA: Corridor Service Q.C.-Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto-Windsor (1) Canadian: VAC-Winnipeg 4.5 H late (1) D. C. metro, Montreal Metro, Toronto subway, Portland streetcars, BART, Metra, NYC subway, Boston subway, Twin cities Blue/Green line
train cars travelled in: Superliner: Coach, Sleeper, Diner, CCC, SSL. Amfleet: LD Café, Café/Business, coach. Viewliner: Sleeper, Diner. Acela: Café, Business, quiet car. Horizon: Coach. Talgo: coach, diner, café; non Amtrak: ex CP Via Canadian Manor cars, Park car, diner,sleeper, Skyline lounge. LRC trainset: coach (tilt de-activated)

#8 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 04:13 PM

I don't see the ROW being purchased for a true High Speed train.  what might make more sense is to improve the rail between OKC and SAS so speeds of 90 or 110 could be reached because freight interference has been minimized by dual track where single track exists.  If you take out the freight delays and increase the speeds, the trip will take less time.  A Georgetown to San Antonio 90 MPH commuter corridor has been proposed but UP isn't interested in even discussing or negotiating.

Trains Traveled On:
Texas Eagle                                      Sunset Limited                            California Zephyr                                Southwest Chief                Empire Builder            Capitol Limited           Lake Shore limited (NYP & BOS)      Crescent
Kentucky Cardinal                             Cardinal                                       Pere Marquette                                  Wolverines                        Lincoln Service            Empire Service          Keystone Service                               Acelas
NE Regionals                                    Pioneer                                        Desert Wind                                       Broadway Limited             Three Rivers                Southwest Chief        Coast Starlight                                    Empire Service

Amtrak Miles Logged: over 197,000

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users