• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 caravanman

caravanman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,841 posts
  • Interests:Open minded travel, in which the journey is often as interesting as the destination...

Posted 18 January 2017 - 11:53 AM

Hi Folks,

A little far away from our main topic of passenger trains, but still of rail interest:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-38654176

Having lived on an Island for most of my life, the channel tunnel still amazes me!

Ed.

#2 Eric S

Eric S

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 12:25 PM

Fascinating. And I assume this involves switching from standard gauge to broad gauge and back to standard gauge trackage.

#3 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,503 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 18 January 2017 - 09:07 PM

Maybe we can talk China into building a Tunnel under the Pacific and send the goods that the US had become hooked on via High Speed Trains!😁

On second thought,with Herr Trump taking over Friday, probably not since he's gonna bring all the jobs we lost to China back to the Rust Belt! 😒

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#4 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,167 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 19 January 2017 - 09:07 AM

Russia has proposed a tunnel under Bering Strait. I suspect even if such is built it will end at a bumper post in Alaska while we bicker over funding the construction of the connection to it for the next hundred years :(

#5 cirdan

cirdan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 01:08 PM

Fascinating. And I assume this involves switching from standard gauge to broad gauge and back to standard gauge trackage.

Actually the train itself doesn't run thru.

At every change of gauge they reload the containers onto a different train.

#6 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,167 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 01:18 PM

Though the technology exists today to rapidly change gauge of cars at gauge break points. Specifically multi-gauge capable Talgos run service across gauge breaks and are able to change gauge very quickly.

Edited by jis, 19 January 2017 - 10:33 PM.

#7 Eric S

Eric S

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 09:36 PM

Yeah, that's what I wondered - whether the containers were switched or whether it involved rail cars like Jis mentions.

#8 caravanman

caravanman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,841 posts
  • Interests:Open minded travel, in which the journey is often as interesting as the destination...

Posted 20 January 2017 - 02:59 PM

My understanding is that at gauge changes, the containers are loaded onto a fresh train, which makes it slightly less of a big deal, I guess.

Probably they all built different gauge railways so they could not be invaded by foreign trains!

Ed.

Edited by caravanman, 20 January 2017 - 03:00 PM.

#9 Shortline

Shortline

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 12:03 AM

My understanding is that at gauge changes, the containers are loaded onto a fresh train, which makes it slightly less of a big deal, I guess.

Probably they all built different gauge railways so they could not be invaded by foreign trains!

Ed.

That is exactly the reason. But with modern airlift, it makes it somewhat of a moot point.

Edited by Shortline, 21 January 2017 - 12:04 AM.

Broadway Limited, Ann Rutledge, Misouri Mule, Misouri River Runner, San Diegan, Surfliner, Empire Builder, Sunset Limited, Crescent, Texas Eagle, Blue Water, Wolverine, Pennsylvanian, 3 Rivers, Hiawatha, Heartland Flyer, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Lake Shore Limited, Capitol Limited, Northeast Regional, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Downeaster, City of New Orleans, City of New Orleans via Pullan Rail Journeys.

#10 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,167 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 08:38 AM

Heh heh. Is that why the Brits built the Irish railways using a different gauge? To keep the Irish Railways from invading Britain? :D

#11 caravanman

caravanman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,841 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 08:11 AM

Heh heh. Is that why the Brits built the Irish railways using a different gauge? To keep the Irish Railways from invading Britain? :D

My Irish parents might well think so. :D

#12 ScouseAndy

ScouseAndy

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 01:45 AM

Of course it the GWR had got its way UK trains would be running broad gauge trains at higher speeds with enhanced loading gauge.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users