"Chipotle-style quick-service station" dining car?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D.P. Roberts

Conductor
I just read Amtrak's blog for January, and they discussed what the Culinary Team was up to. Personally, I thought that the Culinary Team was disbanded a while ago, as all references to them have disappeared from the menu. However, they are still around, and they've got some changes planned for 2017.

One of the changes they're considering is a "Chipotle-style quick-service station". They didn't state which trains might feature this option, how it would work, or how serious they really are about it, but at least they're thinking outside the box a little bit. I for one would love that option!

Here's the blog:
http://blog.amtrak.com/2017/01/bringing-innovation-to-the-table/

Eaten only once in a Chipotle. Ask the lady behind me for advice. Allow her to cut in front of me and then order the same thing she did.

My food was decent. My take on Chipotle is a large amount of employees need to prepare food for the two working with the customer. Have notice this a other counter serviced restaurant.

Worked a long time ago in a Subway Restaurant. The preparation was more hands on back then. Staff was never more than three, but mostly two. The preparations were done between meals times. The store I work at was a top volume location.

Might be a better option to add a Pizzza Hut express, and a Subway if you want a brand name food service on board.

Totally agree discussions are good. But I think we should take that blog post "with a grain of salt." They "discussed" a Chipotle style quick service option means someone threw it out and they discussed it. It doesn't mean any further action will be taken, and it doesn't mean it is being planned for any trains, or ever will be.

My basic question about the Culinary Panel is this: of the 10 or so chefs involved, how many have actually traveled on LD trains and eaten the food, and how often?

Amtrak could never pull it off, and if they tried, it would be nasty. Key to Chipotle is fresh prepared veggies and salsas daily. Amtrak couldn't do it without wilted, nasty veggies and dank salsas. They should redirect efforts to improving existing product.

Amtrak could never pull it off, and if they tried, it would be nasty. Key to Chipotle is fresh prepared veggies and salsas daily. Amtrak couldn't do it without wilted, nasty veggies and dank salsas. They should redirect efforts to improving existing product.
I realize there are valid reasons for having such little confidence in Amtrak food service, but that doesn't actually mean such a method of serving couldn't be successful on a train. Granted, it would be a pleasant surprise, but even without the mandate to cut dining losses, some 'outside the box' thinking is still needed. Further, if I understand the blog correctly, they are referring to a "Chipotle-style" quick-service station, and not a Chipotle itself or even necessarily serving a similar menu.

I frankly don't understand the objection to styles of (high quality) dining other than the traditional table service. Shouldn't the issue be about quality, variety, and reasonable price rather than the method of serving? People raise objections (other thread) to cafeteria service also. Perhaps they are thinking of a stereotypical hospital cafeteria, but there are also many cafeteria or buffets across the nation which are popular and serve quality selections (Piccadilly, Luby's, Golden Corral, etc.) of 'family style' meals.

Last edited by a moderator:
A Voice,

The most pleasant part of traditional table service, in my opinion, is to have good conversations with intelligent people from all parts of the country and the world and all backgrounds. I have always looked forward to it as one of the best parts of the trip.

However, the last time I had a meal in the dining car was dinner on the Crescent. Against all Amtrak tradition, the LSA put me at a table by myself (even though she had just seated a couple about my age at the next table). Then, when I was about halfway through my dinner, she put two millenials (who were not together) across from me. The first looked at me, rolled her eyes (I thought I looked decent--I wasn't wearing my pajamas :p --so I don't know why she did that), then spent the whole time watching a movie. The other one actually nodded to me, but then spent the whole time checking his phone every few seconds.

So I essentially was eating by myself anyway. If this is the wave of the future--dining cars filled with rude people addicted to their electronic baby-sitters--the whole point of the dining car will be gone, so other methods of delivering food will be just as good. I also would hope for quality selections, and not the junkiest of fast food.

Patty: Lots of the Millenials should be called Generation J for Jerks!

Some of the Old School LSAs that run good Crews won't allow passengers to use electronic devices in the Diner. I consider them among the Excellent ones.

I just read Amtrak's blog for January, and they discussed what the Culinary Team was up to. Personally, I thought that the Culinary Team was disbanded a while ago, as all references to them have disappeared from the menu. However, they are still around, and they've got some changes planned for 2017.

One of the changes they're considering is a "Chipotle-style quick-service station". They didn't state which trains might feature this option, how it would work, or how serious they really are about it, but at least they're thinking outside the box a little bit. I for one would love that option!

Here's the blog:

http://blog.amtrak.com/2017/01/bringing-innovation-to-the-table/
That article was pretty funny. Considering that all the LD trains have gone to the same menus in BOTH directions, that article about all the customized specials and fresh foods doesn't jive. Amtrak for years seems to want to reduce the number of employees and simplify the menus so this also doesn't jive. I can't imagine that they can pull it off.

Some of the Old School LSAs that run good Crews won't allow passengers to use electronic devices in the Diner. I consider them among the Excellent ones.
They are who I consider the worst. Old School = control freaks I guess.

It's total luck of the draw who you sit with. Many times I've sat with visitors from other countries who know very little English. sometimes with people who are hard of hearing.. And once with an older lady who wore her sunglasses at night the entire meal and didn't say a word.

Most of the time, I sit with people who like to have a pleasant amount of conversation.

I always have my phone out in the diner. Sometimes it's to take photos of food or scenery, sometimes it is to look up a map to see where we are, and yes sometimes it is to receive or send a text message.

I use my phone as a camera, so I'd be ticked if the LSA told me to keep it in my purse.

Like Crescent, I've also used it as a map. Sometimes my dining companions ask if I know where we are, how far to the next station, etc.

I've also used it to look up interesting facts about an area. That made for a fun breakfast on the CZ. :)

Electronics themselves aren't rude; people are. I could and would spend an entire meal reading a book, but I don't.

Plenty from your generation as well, shipmate.

I can come up with a lot of words for Amtrak employees that enforce arbitrary made up "rules" that aren't really rules on their passengers.
Excellent is most definitely not one of them.

I do think a "Casual Style" cafe could work on Amtrak nicely if done correctly. The Cross Country Cafe seems to be designed with that in mind.

Imagine walking up to the counter, placing your order, and getting anything pre-made right when you order. Drinks, pre-made salads, chips, desserts, etc. and then taking a number and sitting in the "diner" section and a server brings your food when ready.

This could bring the staffing down to one LSA, one server, and 1 cook without being overwhelming. The food of course... is limited to the quality amtrak would provide. Some nice pre-made pastas, Panini's, and "fancy" salads is really all I want. Think of a Panera Bread quality.. those pastas aren't made fresh in the store.. but they are much better than the Amtrak pasta dishes.

If the menus were totally different... a CCC car could be added to trains like the Builder and Zephyr during peak times. Sleeper passengers could choose either the casual CCC car, or the full service diner. Hey.. worth a thought.

Some nice pre-made pastas, Panini's, and "fancy" salads is really all I want. Think of a Panera Bread quality.. those pastas aren't made fresh in the store.. but they are much better than the Amtrak pasta dishes.
Right. I was thinking this moreso than literally a Chipotle-style buffet with pseudo-Mexican food. I think they just meant that type of lunch counter, where you order and they make it fresh. Or, something like Panda Express, Noodles & Company, and the like, where you pick an entree and a couple sides.

I would love this as an option for lunch, as the Amtrak meals tend to be heavy. I'm hardly ever super-hungry for lunch but often want something light to tide me over until dinner. Since skipping meals makes me feel like I'm not "using" my entire sleeper fare, having some type of light, order-to-go lunch system would be a good compromise.

They could even utilize the current reservation system to avoid long lines at the counter.

I understand all the posters points about Control Freak Crew Members but still think there is no need to have electronic devices,especially phones, in the Diner when eating since we are sharing tables with others!

And Ryan is so right that there are Jerks of all ages, but most Millenials do seem to have a total lack of manners and social skills which are taught, not born to !

Considering that so many of our members like the "Quiet Cars" on the NEC, I'd venture that a Majority of our Members agree, but YMMV!

This could bring the staffing down to one LSA, one server, and 1 cook without being overwhelming.

This was my thought as well. Most dining cars I've seen, at least in the summer, have 4 servers. If you have a "to go" window of some sort, you could probably have 1 person taking orders, one handing out food, and eliminate half of the car staff (not counting cooks).

Secondly, if they could prepare a lot of food off the train they could bring prices down. A combination of lower prices and more open seating in the dining car might entice more people from coach to eat in the dining car, thus increasing profits (or at least decreasing losses).

As others have also observed, the cold box meal that is served on train 28 out of Portland is one of the best meals in the Amtrak system, and it doesn't require a dining car at all.

Key to Chipotle is fresh prepared veggies and salsas daily.
Agreed. In my view the number one factor in a tasty memorable meal is fresh and timely preparation of quality ingredients. Unfortunately that hasn't been the case on Amtrak in decades now. Even the Chef Inspired meals weren't prepared fresh so much as they were custom designed to survive the cooking, freezing, and reheating process with an improved flavor and texture penalty.

Considering that all the LD trains have gone to the same menus in BOTH directions, that article about all the customized specials and fresh foods doesn't jive. Amtrak for years seems to want to reduce the number of employees and simplify the menus so this also doesn't jive. I can't imagine that they can pull it off.
Agreed. Other than scrambled eggs and the infamous steak Amtrak's dining car serves a tiny menu of precooked pantry and freezer food. You don't need to change the ordering or delivery process to improve that.

The first looked at me, rolled her eyes, then spent the whole time watching a movie. The other one actually nodded to me, but then spent the whole time checking his phone every few seconds. So I essentially was eating by myself anyway.
This is why I stopped visiting the dining car myself. Between the bossy obnoxious staff and the growing influx of socially challenged customers there was simply no reason to bother anymore. If they want to get rid of the generic fiberglass and vinyl tables and turn the diner into a fresh food preparation counter that would be fine with me.

And Ryan is so right that there are Jerks of all ages, but most Millenials do seem to have a total lack of manners and social skills which are taught, not born to !

!
I disagree re: Millennials. And frankly, if the Millennials are so terrible, what about the people who raised them (*cough boomers) and should have taught them these all these things which they supposedly lack?
For the record I'm not a millennial as I'm at the tail end of Gen X. But I work with lots of Millennials and I think they are misunderstood by many.

!
I disagree re: Millennials. And frankly, if the Millennials are so terrible, what about the people who raised them (*cough boomers) and should have taught them these all these things which they supposedly lack?
For the record I'm not a millennial as I'm at the tail end of Gen X. But I work with lots of Millennials and I think they are misunderstood by many.
^^This^^

I'm sorry... Why is it a problem if my table mate wants to look at their phone? Is it rude for a deaf man to sit in the dining car since he can't keep up with the conversation?

I enjoy meeting new people in the diner. But I don't expect them to behave a certain way. It doesn't bother me in the least if they want to stare at their phones. That's their choice to make.

The number one problem with Millennials is that they were raised by parentally deficient GenX'ers. Just like I would be if I had kids.

Why is it a problem if my table mate wants to look at their phone? Is it rude for a deaf man to sit in the dining car since he can't keep up with the conversation? I enjoy meeting new people in the diner. But I don't expect them to behave a certain way. It doesn't bother me in the least if they want to stare at their phones. That's their choice to make.
Nobody is saying they shouldn't be able to choose to remain completely silent, but some of us were raised to employ some minimal situational awareness in social situations and find self-absorbed behavior odd and unusual.

I'm sorry... Why is it a problem if my table mate wants to look at their phone? Is it rude for a deaf man to sit in the dining car since he can't keep up with the conversation?

I enjoy meeting new people in the diner. But I don't expect them to behave a certain way. It doesn't bother me in the least if they want to stare at their phones. That's their choice to make.
Good point. I try to be attentive even when I can't follow conversations, but I will look at my phone at times. Why should I be bored while others are engaged in conversation.

I'm glad I don't meet these boorish X, Y and Zs as well as boomers and war babies on board. Gee, I seem to meet nice people.

The only non-nice person we met came in, refused the OBS's request to sit with others in a rude way and was openly criticized by us and others who all told her we didn't want to sit with her anyway.

Back