Affordable Hotels around LA's Union Station -- ha ha ha!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austruck

Service Attendant
But seriously, folks...

Is there such a thing as an affordable room within walking distance (or short cab ride) of LA's Union Station? I could book now for an early May trip. I'd like to book something as a backup in case my LA-local friends can't put me up for that night, for some unforeseen reason.

I realize I should define "affordable," but I'll let you experts do that for me. :)

Linda

One such is the Metro Plaza Hotel. It is less than 2 blocks from Union Station. In fact, you can see the hotel sign from the front entrance!

It's not the Ritz, but for an inexpensive and convenient place to stay, it's not bad.

If you're planning to see Hollywood anyway there's an option that involves LA's Red Line Subway that you catch right at Union Station. You'd take it to the Hollywood/Highland Station and get off, walk one block west and then one block north. The place is called Orange Drive Hostel and I've heard good things about it although have not stayed there since I live in Southern California already. I will say that I'm not afraid to walk around the area as it's a tourist hotspot and there are always plenty of people around. It could be considered easier to get to than the hotels near Union Station as it's so close to the Metro Stop.

Adding on another option/question here. I'm trying to get myself on the Zephyr for one leg of my trip, so switching one of my destinations from LA to SanFran nets me that Zephyr leg.

Hotels around the station at SFC?

(I swear I'm booking this trip this week and then my obnoxious questions will be about OTHER things besides pre-trip planning!) :)

I stayed at the Doubletree, Downtown Los Angeles, which, in my opinion, is walking distance. It was reasonably priced last July when I stayed there. However, I am almost certain that Metro Plaza is less expensive and not as nice. Metro Plaza is certainly closer to Union Station.

I'd book the Metro Plaza in LA and then ride the Starlight to Sacramento and stay at the reasonable Vagabond Inn which is across the street from the Amtrak Station and next to the California Rail Museum ( it's running by the State so only open until 5pm each day) and Old Sacramento on the River.

There is a nice cafe at the Vagabond for Breakfast and a Perkos, a Denny's like joint next door, before you catch the morning Zephyr heading East.

You'd take it to the Hollywood/Highland Station and get off, walk one block west and then one block north. The place is called Orange Drive Hostel and I've heard good things about it although have not stayed there since I live in Southern California already.
Ha, I have a friend who's lived in an apartment building on that same block of Orange Drive for over 15 years (even before the Hollywood & Highland complex was built), and I never noticed there was a hostel there.

Bob Dylan... that might just solve my problem of wanting to get on the Zephyr. At the very least, it gives me an excuse to keep playing with itinerary variations and daydream for one more day before committing. Ha!

:D

Linda, some people think the area between LAUS and Metro Plaza is too sleezy for single women. I've traveled around that area by myself with luggage in the middle of the night many times as middle aged female in wheelchair. No problems ever. I just keep moving and ignore occasional people sleeping on the sidewalk. Metro Plaza is a fine budget hotel. Sometimes they give 10 or 15 percent off if you say you came by Amtrak, ask when you check in. Depends on who is at the desk.

I don't mind even low-end hotels. Just no bedbugs and I'm fine because yes, the trip is definitely not about the hotel. :)

Alice, I'll make sure to mention Amtrak if I end up at the Metro Plaza! :)

Aaaannnnddd... two legs of the trip cancelled due to service disruptions. Meaning I have had to cancel the great Metro Plaza rates I booked in January. Nothing open on the new dates I will be in LA... so now I scramble to book something else.

If I book something 1-2 miles from the station, what's a cab fare to get there from LAUS? Probably quite minimal...

Apparently my first big train adventure began a half week early with this exciting rebooking and online reservation scrambling. :D :D

I'm sorry, too, but such is life. The rates I got in January were amazingly cheap. Now? Not even a room available on those nights coming up.

I guess this means I'll just have to take more train trips. :)

Back