Photo

Anyone Else Get " Enjoy an upgrade to Business class" email?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Long Train Runnin'

Long Train Runnin'

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 06:50 PM

Just curious how widespread this is. I used to be a Select Plus member, but my Amtrak travel has dropped off to almost 0 especially on paid fares. Now that the AGR points are gone I haven't been traveling much at all. I just got the email below today. I do have a reservation on the books that will qualify, so pretty nice little gift. Just wonder if I am the only one? 

Dear XXXXXX, 

Because we value your membership in the Amtrak Guest Rewards® program, we're offering you the chance to experience Business class on Northeast RegionalSMwhen you redeem your complimentary upgrade by April 7, 2017

Northeast Regional Business class isn't typical business class. It's Extra Class. You'll enjoy extra legroom, an extra car dedicated to you and other extras such as a complimentary non-alcoholic beverage, priority boarding at select stations and access to premium digital newspapers during your trip. 

To redeem your free upgrade, call 800-307-5000 within 12 hours prior to your departure and reference your eCoupon number, [Redacted]. Or, print your coupon and present it to an in-station agent. Upgrade is subject to availability and may not be available on all Northeast Regional trains.

Terms and conditions below:

Terms and conditions apply.

Coupon is valid for one (1) upgrade from Coach to Business class on a single segment or leg of travel on Northeast Regional for travel between January 3, 2017 and April 7, 2017. Offer may also be valid on the Palmetto, Pennsylvanian, Carolinian or Vermonter, but only for travel between cities also served by Northeast Regional. Applicable rail fare must be paid. Offer is subject to availability; upgrade space is limited and will not be available on all departures. Offer may be combined with corporate discount, but is not combinable with any other discount, coupon or Amtrak Guest Rewards redemption travel. Travel blackout dates apply: February 17, 2017 and February 20, 2017. Not valid for upgrade to sleeping car accommodations. This Coupon and associated travel is not transferable and is valid only for the recipient addressed within this communication. The coupon has no cash value and is not valid for resale. Photocopies and reproductions will not be accepted. The Coupon number is unique to your Coupon and is valid for one use only. Buying or selling this coupon is prohibited and will invalidate the coupon. To redeem your offer call 800-307-5000 or present this coupon to an Amtrak station agent with your ticket or existing reservation confirmation within 12 hours of departure. Other restrictions or terms and conditions may apply.

Ugh looks like my title was too long. Maybe a mod can shorten it....

Edited by Long Train Runnin', 05 January 2017 - 06:57 PM.

41,175 Miles on Amtrak in 43 states. 
Routes Traveled: Acela Express, Adirondack, Amtrak Cascades, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Cardinal, Carolinian, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Downeaster, Empire Builder, Empire Service, Ethan Allen Express, Hiawatha, Keystone Corridor, Lake Shore Limited, Northeast Regional, Maple Leaf, Missouri River Runner, Pacific Surfliner, Pennsylvanian, Silver Meteor, Southwest Chief, Springfield Shuttles, Texas Eagle, Vermonter.

#2 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,236 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 05 January 2017 - 07:05 PM

Looks to be targeted to NEC folks Steve!

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#3 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,769 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:11 PM

I just got that email too.

2011: Jun: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // Nov: WIL=>WAS=>CHI=>PRO (NER=>CL=>CZ)
2012: Apr: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // May(NTD): WIL=>PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>PAO=>PHL (Keystone) // Aug: WIL=>WAS (NER) / BWI=>WIL (NER) // Oct(Gathering): PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>HAR=>PHL (Keystone) / SEPTA, NJT, PATCO, River Line, Princeton Dinky
2013: May(NTD): WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct (Gathering): WIL=>CHI (Card) / CHI=>MKE=>GLN=>CHI() / CHI=>JOL=>CHI () / CHI=>WIL(CL=>NER) / CTA, Metra. SEPTA (WIL=>NRK) // Nov:  PHL=>PHL (Autumn Express) 
2014: May(NTD):  WIL=>PHL=>WIL(NER) // May:  WIL=>BOS=>WIL(NER) day trip

2014: Oct(Gathering): WIL=>NYP=>TOL(pd-NER=>LSL) / TOL=>CHI=>LAX=>EMY(pts-LSL=>SWC=>CS) / EMY=>CHI=>TOL (pts-CZ-CL) / TOL=>WAS=>WIL(pd-CL=>NER)
2015: May: CHI=>CIN(pd-Card) / CIN=>WIL(pts Card)
2015;  Oct(Gathering):  WIL=>WAS(Acela) / ALX=>WAS(NER) / WAS=>BAL(Acela) / WAS=>WIL(NER)

2016: Mar: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct:  WIL=>NYP=>NYP=>WIL (Autumn Express) 

#4 Train2104

Train2104

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:41 PM

Just got the email. I wish I could use it on the Pennsylvanian to Pittsburgh, but Regional will have to do. As luck would have it, I'll be riding one tomorrow...hope they apply to the Track Friday sale fares!

#5 benale

benale

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:43 PM

I got the Email too. I'm select until the end of February. Since AGR instituted the new unimproved rewards dropping the 100 point minimum, I have traveled a lot less. At least this goes through May, so i may have a chance to use it.

#6 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,053 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 05 January 2017 - 09:18 PM

I got it. Never had AGR status.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#7 Dovecote

Dovecote

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:31 PM

My wife and I received the upgrade email. Living in Georgia it is a long shot that we will use it.  However we will be in the northeast in late March for two weeks.  Nice to know it is available if we decide to make an impromptu trip.

Amtrak Trains Traveled - Acela Express, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Kansas City Mule, Lake Shore Limited, Maple Leaf, Northeast Regional, Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Southwest Chief, Sunset Limited, and Vermonter.

#8 tim49424

tim49424

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:15 AM

I got one as well. I'm assuming it's because I rode in coach on the NER in October.

Over 40,000 miles traveled on Amtrak since December, 2007.  Next trip: March 20-24 HOM-FTW-OKC round trip!

Amtrak trains traveled on as of October, 2016:  Pere Marquette, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Wolverine, Coast Starlight, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Pacific Surfliner, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Cardinal, Northeast Regional, Downeaster and Lake Shore Limited.

#9 willem

willem

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:05 AM

Looks to be targeted to NEC folks Steve!

I didn't get it (yet, anyway), but I did just get an Acela promotion (and I've received many over the years) even though I live in flyover country well removed from the NEC. AGR seems to be unconcerned with geography.

On the other hand, I did ride Acela about eight years ago, so maybe AGR just has a good memory and that's why the Acela offers keep appearing.

#10 PRR 60

PRR 60

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,417 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:27 PM

I got one, and I had very little paid Amtrak travel last year - none on the Northeast Regional.

Upgrade coupons would be far easier to use if they could be redeemed on-line or within the app. Having to call or go to a ticket window to cash them in is a PITA.

#11 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,643 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:21 PM

Not surprisingly, I did not get the email.  I am Select Executive and have plenty of upgrade coupons which I routinely use on the NEC, although I live in Florida.

Amtrak miles: 199,559; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion (1973), Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle, Missouri River Runner, Acela Express, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, Northeast Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, Empire Service, Sunset Limited, San Joaquin, Capitol Corridor, Pennsylvanian, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Autumn Express 2015, Ethan Allen Express, AEM-7 Excursion, Pacific Surfliner; Lakeshore Limited (BOS-ALB), Autumn Express 2016, Palmetto.

VIA miles: 4,584; Routes: The Canadian (westbound), Ocean.

#12 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 03:40 PM

Funny, I'm sitting on an Empire Service train as I type this (I know that wouldn't count) and I haven't gotten one yet.But I did a corridor trip recently, maybe later.

#13 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,902 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 08 January 2017 - 02:16 PM

By the way, there are currently several promotions listed...one for the Acela, one for the Northeast Regional, one for booking via Amtrak.com and one for Coast Starlight Business Class. The Amtrak.com and Coast Starlight promos run until the end of 2017...I used both of those last year and earned 200 points each.

John...
Coast Starlight -  VAN~LAUS (Oct '16); LAUS~PDX (Oct '16); LAUS~SLO (Jun '16); LAUS~SEA round trip (Jul '14); LAUS~PDX round trp (Oct '06); SBA~OKJ round trip (Jan '74)

Empire Builder - PDX~SPK (Oct '16).

Southwest Chief - CHI~LAUS (Aug '15); LAUS~WMJ round trip (Jan '12); LAUS~ABQ round trip (Oct '11)

Capitol Limited - CHI~WAS round trip (Aug '15).
Sunset Limited/Texas Eagle - LAUS~CHI (Jul-Aug '15); LAUS~TPL round trip (Aug '13), (Dec '12)

Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink - Numerous trips and various points between SLO and SAN

White Pass and Yukon Route Railway -  (July '14); Grand Canyon Railway -  (Jan '12); Napa Valley Wine Train - (Aug '15); Fillmore and Western Railway
PVs: Overland Trail, Silver Splendor, Tioga Pass, Salisbury Beach, Pacific Sands, Pacific Trail, Colonial Crafts, and Acoma
Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/<p> 

#14 daybeers

daybeers

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Interests:Trains, obviously, both real and model, Music, Singing, Computers, Stained Glass, Photography, Traveling, Running

Posted 09 January 2017 - 02:58 PM

I got the email, and I am a Select Rewards member who now uses the Regional fairly frequently. I do have a question though: I use the student discount when the Saver fare isn't available, so would I not be able to use this coupon on one of those trips? Would it be the same with a AAA discount?

Amtrak travel so far:

Springfield Shuttle: HFD-WND, HFD-NHV

Lake Shore Limited: SPG-CHI, CHI-SPG Roomette

Northeast Regional lots of times: NHV-NYP, NHV-WIL, WIL-NHV, NHV-WAS, HFD-WAS (some in Business)

Acela: PHL-NHV, Business Class

Pennsylvanian: NYP-PGH, PGH-NYP, Business Class

Capitol Limited: WAS-CHI Bedroom

Foreign travel:

Eurostar: London-Paris

EuroNight: Paris-Milano Centrale, 6 person couchette (by far the worst train I have ever been on.)

Frecciarossa: Milano Centrale-Roma Termini

#15 benale

benale

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 06:04 PM

I've used the upgrade coupons a few times. You have to pay the full fare to use it.

#16 StanJazz

StanJazz

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 06:13 PM

I received a 1-2-3 Free email from AGR. If I travel 3 times on Acela or Northeast Regional by Feb 28 I get 1 free round trip in the summer. I live in the Chicago suburbs and traveled NER one round trip in 2009. I haven't been Select for several years.

#17 Train2104

Train2104

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 08:15 PM

I used my coupon and it's still in my account...

#18 Long Train Runnin'

Long Train Runnin'

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 10:55 AM

I was able to use this coupon on Saturday. Made the ride from MET to Richmond Staples Road much more comfortable. Was a nice well timed surprise. 

41,175 Miles on Amtrak in 43 states. 
Routes Traveled: Acela Express, Adirondack, Amtrak Cascades, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Cardinal, Carolinian, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Downeaster, Empire Builder, Empire Service, Ethan Allen Express, Hiawatha, Keystone Corridor, Lake Shore Limited, Northeast Regional, Maple Leaf, Missouri River Runner, Pacific Surfliner, Pennsylvanian, Silver Meteor, Southwest Chief, Springfield Shuttles, Texas Eagle, Vermonter.

#19 Train2104

Train2104

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 08:22 PM

I also got the BC bonus/extra TQPs on the upgraded reservation. Is this normal for upgrade coupons?

#20 VAtrainfan

VAtrainfan

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Travel (by air or rail or highway), roller coasters

Posted 26 January 2017 - 08:02 PM

I got the coupon but it's unlikely I'll be able to use it due to lack of free time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users