Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Solar Eclipse watching?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 willem

willem

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 07:39 PM

You know, that song was about me—I think.

#22 Sauve850

Sauve850

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Interests:Fly Fishing, Scuba Diving, Travel and Adventure

Posted 09 January 2017 - 07:55 PM

I spend my summers in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. Should be a great event!

#23 bmjhagen9426

bmjhagen9426

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Interests:Computers, riding trains/travel, watching movies/sporting events, listening to music/speeches/talk radio, reading

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:07 PM

I have family friends in Portland area, so perhaps I can visit them and take the early morning Cascades down to Salem, and return to Portland or head home back.

Trains taken (US): Coast Starlight, San Joaquins, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Hoosier State, SP4449 excursion 2015
Current Amtrak mileage: 20271 miles plus 130 Ambus miles

#24 p&sr

p&sr

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 04:33 PM

So close! My area gets 96.6% of total solar eclipse. And is on my work day

Not good enough.  If it's not 100%, it's not a Total Eclipse.  Just another Partial.  Try getting the day off as "Personal Necessity", then get down to the Center Line (Zone of Totality) in good time.  And bring your Eclipse Viewers!  (or #14 Welder's Glass).

P&SR

"Keep 'em Rolling!"

#25 jacorbett70

jacorbett70

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:40 AM

The one southbound train from Portland that morning went from low bucket last month to all sold out. I bet a tour group chartered that train.

All-Time Amtrak rail ridership between 1990 and 01/11/2015
710 segments 135084 miles
Top 5 mileage years: 2012 (17833), 2011 (13528), 1998 (13286) , 1997 (13181), 2010 (12709)

#26 TiBike

TiBike

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:41 AM

I booked the Starlight a couple weeks ago, to head north a couple of days before hand – train to Chemault, thruway to Redmond airport where I pick up a car. Still cheap car rental rates, but all the accomodation is still sold out. Might open up eventually, but plan B is to camp – plenty of Forest Service land around.

Coast Starlight • California Zephyr • Crescent • Lake Shore Limited • San Joaquin • Capitol Corridor • Pacific Surfliner

Shinkansen • TranzAlpine (NZ) • Northern Explorer (NZ) • Coastal Pacific (NZ) • Great Southern Rail Overland (Oz) • Tze-Chiang Limited (ROC) • Thello Venice-Paris

#27 fairviewroad

fairviewroad

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:35 AM

The one southbound train from Portland that morning went from low bucket last month to all sold out. I bet a tour group chartered that train.

Good catch! That's probably going to be the only day this year that the 0600 s/b departure out of PDX will be sold out. The train must empty out in SLM though since there are plenty of seats available south of there.

There are low-bucket seats on the Thruway bus from PDX-SLM that follows an hour later, though, which would still get folks to SLM in time for the eclipse.

#28 KauaiJohn

KauaiJohn

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:56 PM

We were so excited to see the total eclipse that was visible on the big Island and south Maui some years ago. We flew to Maui, drove around Hana to the south side (rather desolate) camped all night in the pouring rain and in the morning, while still raining hard, it go light, it got dark, it got light again, still it was worth the trip.

#29 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:28 AM

I'm just watching the eclipse in my front yard. But if anyone is in the Carolinas I'm happy to meet up with anyone.

View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net

Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)

Steam Engines I've worked behind

Norfolk & Western No. 611

Nickel Plate Road No. 765

Southern Pacific No. 4449

#30 bmjhagen9426

bmjhagen9426

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Interests:Computers, riding trains/travel, watching movies/sporting events, listening to music/speeches/talk radio, reading

Posted 08 April 2017 - 10:11 PM

News flash: People planning to flock to Oregon to watch the eclipse get hosed after hotels canceled their reservations without warning and remaining silent of the incident. Read the full story here: http://trib.al/LQT1XYW

Trains taken (US): Coast Starlight, San Joaquins, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Hoosier State, SP4449 excursion 2015
Current Amtrak mileage: 20271 miles plus 130 Ambus miles

#31 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,153 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 10:45 PM

News flash: People planning to flock to Oregon to watch the eclipse get hosed after hotels canceled their reservations without warning and remaining silent of the incident. Read the full story here: http://trib.al/LQT1XYW

See the followup article to the above.

http://www.oregonliv..._at_the_ce.html

I checked my reservation, and it seems as though most reputable hotels are fine.

Amtrak can be better! Tell your local, state and national elected officials to support a more robust rail system. Join NARP and your local rail advocacy organization.
Where you'll find my posts: // All Aboard Washington (websiteFacebook) // Amtrak Unlimited Forum Group (Facebook) // Grow Trains (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Restore the Pioneer Train (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Save the Seattle Waterfront Streetcar (Again) (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Transit Riders of Puget Sound (Facebook) // Trains on FB (Facebook) // My Random Twitter Musings @HamiltonChas

#32 XHRTSP

XHRTSP

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 06:18 AM

Any of the AUers flying their Learjet up to Nova Scotia to see the total eclipse of the sun?

No, but my plan is to try to fly my* Piper Arrow down to Oregon to see it.

*my as in I rent it from the flight school

#33 ehbowen

ehbowen

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 08:21 AM

Any of the AUers flying their Learjet up to Nova Scotia to see the total eclipse of the sun?

No, but my plan is to try to fly my* Piper Arrow down to Oregon to see it.

*my as in I rent it from the flight school

Good move!

super%20decathlon-04.jpg?crc=50274260

I haven't been active in nearly 20 years due to medical (prescription my doctor has me on), but damn if it wasn't fun while it lasted. I could make that machine do all kinds of tricks...instructor got queasy on me the very first time I really tried to wring it out! Great solo cross-country machine too, as long as the weather was VFR....

broadside-1.jpg 16 inch Armor Piercing...When you care enough to send the very, VERY best!
Visit Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables from the Streamliner era.

#34 RSG

RSG

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • Interests:Travel, rail travel, libraries, current events

Posted 09 April 2017 - 11:59 PM

See the followup article to the above.
http://www.oregonliv..._at_the_ce.html
I checked my reservation, and it seems as though most reputable hotels are fine.

This is where it pays to stay at a location affiliated with a national chain so there is another level of responsibility and opportunity for redress. Also beware of third-party booking services and lodging rental agents. In some places in Wyoming, there are a handful of hotel rooms left, which are running around $800 for up to four persons per night. There are plenty of Airbnb rentals available in the same community for $1000+ per night. Some of those may drop as the time approaches, but even if they become as reasonable (so to speak) as area hotels, you're at the mercy of the host until most likely after the fact. Unfortunately, not all are in it to show visitors a good time.

#35 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,153 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 02:46 PM

Oregon parks open 1,000 more campsites for 2017 solar eclipse

Reservation prices are between $10 a night to $31 a night....

People can make their reservations online or over the phone.

Amtrak can be better! Tell your local, state and national elected officials to support a more robust rail system. Join NARP and your local rail advocacy organization.
Where you'll find my posts: // All Aboard Washington (websiteFacebook) // Amtrak Unlimited Forum Group (Facebook) // Grow Trains (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Restore the Pioneer Train (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Save the Seattle Waterfront Streetcar (Again) (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Transit Riders of Puget Sound (Facebook) // Trains on FB (Facebook) // My Random Twitter Musings @HamiltonChas

#36 Meat Puppet

Meat Puppet

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 02:34 AM

has anyone compiled alist of what trains will meet the eclipse on its way across the county? and more specifically the times, thankyou in advance

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users