Solar Eclipse watching?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ParanoidAndroid

OBS Chief
Anyone going to watch the solar eclipse on August 21 2017?

Here's the map:

http://www.eclipse2017.org/xavier_redirect.htm

Read the instructions, the map link is there.

It looks like it will pass just south of Salem OR (CS and Cascades), north of Boise ID and Idaho Falls ID, then just north of Hastings NE (CZ) and south of Lincoln NE (CZ), skirts past Kansas City MO (SWC and Missouri River Runner), Jefferson City MO and south of St. Louis MO (Missouri River Runner and TE), just south of Carbondale IL (CONO and Illini/Saluki), just north of Nashville TN and then right thru Clemson SC (Crescent) and Columbia SC (Silver Star) and north of Charleston SC (Palmetto and Silver Meteor), then exiting the USA.

At most a tenuous connection to anything rail, but thanks for posting. I had no idea about this, and the total eclipse passes directly over where I live.

It's a big deal in Oregon since there's a very good chance of having a clear day in late August in Oregon (seriously). Many hotels along or near the path of totality in Oregon are sold out, as well as most campgrounds.

If you are using Amtrak to visit Oregon during the eclipse, your best option might be to base yourself in the PDX area where there will be far more hotel rooms. You could rent a car and strategically position yourself on the "day of". Portland would be an easy hour or so drive from the path of totality.

For those interested, NASA has a pretty good website on it.

It's a big deal in Oregon since there's a very good chance of having a clear day in late August in Oregon (seriously). Many hotels along or near the path of totality in Oregon are sold out, as well as most campgrounds.

If you are using Amtrak to visit Oregon during the eclipse, your best option might be to base yourself in the PDX area where there will be far more hotel rooms. You could rent a car and strategically position yourself on the "day of". Portland would be an easy hour or so drive from the path of totality.

For those interested, NASA has a pretty good website on it.
Redmond is even closer to the center of totality, and has the advantage of being east of the Cascades (higher chance of being fully clear). Get there from CMO on the Coast Starlight, by taking an AmBus connection.

As for me, I am getting about one and a half minutes of totality right at my house in eastern Oregon, so not going anywhere. Figuring out my eclipse glasses and spotting scope filters...

Redmond, Oregon would be a good location, but good luck getting a room there. A search for 8/20 on Expedia shows every single hotel in Redmond, Bend, Madras, Prineville and Sisters as sold out, except for a $2000/night room at the Ponderosa Resort. Salem is sold out on the same date...if you head north you can find rooms in the southern PDX suburbs, but expect to pay $200 and up.

I'm currently debating between either central Nebraska (Hastings and Kearney are currently near the top of my list) or Jefferson City, MO currently. Both still had some hotel availability left (right now I have a few reservations as I'm not sure exactly where I'm going to settle yet) and are within a day's drive from my house. (I would rather drive as if there's some cloud cover there's a chance I can drive to somewhere where there's clearer skies.)

I used IHG points to book a room in Gladstone, in the south Portland suburbs, in Boise, and in Kansas City near the airport. There were also rooms available for a reasonable number of points in Corvallis at the Hilton Garden Inn there.

Unfortunately the Amtrak cancellation policy is a negative as I would have loved to book a train trip on the Starlight and been free to cancel if the weather was negative. Instead I'll wait until the Southwest schedule opens for late August and book plane tickets to Portland, Boise, and Kansas City for the date, canceling the ones that don't look good a day or two in advance. My ideal choice would be Oregon, since I am familiar with the road network having lived there, with the other options as backups. I'm expecting an epic traffic jam in the Willamette Valley as people scramble to watch it, especially since school is still out in August in Portland and many people will take the day off.

If you have never seen a total eclipse rest assured it is truly a sight to behold. I saw the 1979 one from above the Columbia gorge and it was amazing so Mrs SP&S and I have already arranged to stay with friends in Redmond. Whatever you do, don't do if from the city, get out into the country.

Back in May we snagged the next-to-last room at one hotel in Riverton WY. We had read in one of the links listed above that WY afforded the best chance of clear skies so we'll be bound for the spot 12 mi N if Riverton where the shadow's centerline crosses US 26 near where it meets WY 134. Nothing there but a cattle feedlot and a lot of HEAT. The eclipse lasts 2m 39s. It's a longer time in TN but with those huge, pretty white cumulus clouds in the summer, there's a better chance that one of them will cover up the show. We'll take Zephyr to Denver then drive the 4 hours to Riverton, allowing a few days to re-explore Colorado before boarding the CZ for home. Getting excited already.

Ryan,

Keep this idea in the back of your mind: Check into renting a Class C RV for a week with Eastern TN as your hard target midway point, a neat family adventure on the road and with all the amenities of home away from home. Your Mother-in-Law and I have been looking for a reason to haul our camper into the mountains and this would be a great way for us to caravan for part of the journey. With enough advance planning, I might be able to convince K & T to pull their rig down there too.

)Check out www.beckleysrv.com in Annapolis. Not an endorsement, just something close by for consideration).

Thanks

Scott

NASA Total Solar Eclipse Web Pages

The path of totality be be close to the southwest corner of Iowa.
The astronomy club I belong to - DMastronomy.com - has made arrangements for the club to use a county park very close to the center of the path of totality in Missouri, some 150 miles from Des Moines.

The closer to the center of the path of totality one is the longer the total portion of the eclipse is time wise.

I have witnessed several partial solar eclipses in my life but this will be my first total solar eclipse, and I am looking forward to seeing it in person.

Where I will be the eclipse will start at 11:42:30 AM CDT and end at 2:36:00 PM CDT.

Totality will start at 1:08:12 and end at 1:10:46 - a pretty brief total of 2 minutes 34 seconds, but about as long as totality gets for any total eclipse of the sun.

As long as it's not cloudy I'll be making photographs during the eclipse. I'll only make 1 photo of totality.

During totality it's entirely safe to look at the unlit side of the Moon that is between Earth and the Sun blocking the sunlight and the solar corona that is always there but that we can't usually see because of the Sun's brightness..

Last edited by a moderator:
Any of the AUers flying their Learjet up to Nova Scotia to see the total eclipse of the sun?

So close! My area gets 96.6% of total solar eclipse. And is on my work day
Not good enough. If it's not 100%, it's not a Total Eclipse. Just another Partial. Try getting the day off as "Personal Necessity", then get down to the Center Line (Zone of Totality) in good time. And bring your Eclipse Viewers! (or #14 Welder's Glass).

Back