Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

California zephy departing Emy 1/5/17

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Rush2112

Rush2112

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:Trains, traveling, the band Rush, human rights, politics, reading, indie movies, relaxing

Posted 09 January 2017 - 04:31 AM

Great photos and an interesting journey so far.

Love the video that caught the plow train in the Sierras.

Thanks!

I take the CZ from Sac to Chi starting this Saturday.

Edited by Rush2112, 09 January 2017 - 04:32 AM.

#22 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,167 posts
  • Interests:Riding Trains Often!!

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:25 PM

Hopefully the mess in Donner pass is cleaned up by then

#23 Rush2112

Rush2112

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:Trains, traveling, the band Rush, human rights, politics, reading, indie movies, relaxing

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:58 PM

With the next storm wave coming in tonight and up to 7 FEET of snow predicted in the high Sierras it might be a mess around Donner for a while.  Maybe I will be able to get video of the rotary snow blower trains when I head up the hill on the CZ on Saturday.  That would be a trip.  Just a few days ago I happened to catch a documentary on my local PBS station in Sacramento (KVIE) about the rotary snow blower trains.  I did not realize how rarely they are used.  Sometimes not years at a time.

I am resigned to perhaps being bused from Sac to Reno on Saturday but if i-80 is closed again due to mud slides, flooding or avalanches or who knows what, I just hope I don't end up having to fly to Philly for my conference next week. But since these storm systems are helping the drought in California, so be it.  I just hope that people stay safe in this extreme weather.  

I look forward to hearing more about your trip with your dad.  My dad loved trains and when we took the Twilight Shoreliner from BOS to WAS years ago, with my mom too, it was a wonderful experience.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users