#1 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 31 December 2016 - 03:39 PM

Who else has thought about ways to clean the outside of the railfan window on Superliner cars while standing on a boarding platform?

I've been thinking about a screw together paint roller handle extension about 12 feet long when assembled.

With a way to lock a painting roller in place, but still be able to advance it for multiple cleaning swipes, I think it might do the trick.

U. S. Congress - underground trolley system (1963) • Disneyland train (1968 and various other dates) • Old Tucson steam train (1969)

Amtrak: California Zephyr - Coast Starlight 

. . . . . . .Total Amtrak miles - 11,390

• 4993 miles booked May '17 - Southwest Chief, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Illinois Zephyr.

#2 silmaril

silmaril

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 10:50 PM

Which is the rail fan window?

#3 JayPea

JayPea

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,384 posts
  • Location:Colfax, WA (CFX)---Hey, it's only an Amtrak Thruway bus stop, but at least my town in mentioned on Amtrak's website and in their timetable!
  • Interests:Trains, photography, photography of trains, travel, travel by train, reading, reading about trains............

Posted 09 April 2017 - 02:26 AM

The railfan window is the rear window of the the last car of the train.

Amtrak Routes Traveled: City of New Orleans, State House/Lincoln Service, Empire Builder, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, Capitol Limited, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited, Pacific Surfliner, Cardinal. 
Pre-Amtrak Routes Traveled: Empire Builder (Great Northern), North Coast Limited (Northern Pacific), Abraham Lincoln (Gulf, Mobile, and Ohio), City of Hinkle  (Union Pacific) Panama Limited (Illinois Central)
Bustitutions: Portland-Spokane (EB),Galesburg-Bloomington (CZ/Lincoln Service ) 
Amtrak Miles: 77509

Pre-Amtrak Miles: 8478
Bustitution Miles: 450
Excursion trains ridden:  Centralia and Chehalis Railroad, Mt. Hood Scenic Railroad, Alaska Railroad, 1880 Train (Black Hills Central RR) and trains at the Illinois Railway Museum, California Railway Museum, and the Monticello (IL) Railroad Museum.

#4 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 12 April 2017 - 08:15 AM

The window is in the door at the end of a car.

The door is disable so passengers can't open it.

But, when the train goes through the wash station the back window doesn't get cleaned.

U. S. Congress - underground trolley system (1963) • Disneyland train (1968 and various other dates) • Old Tucson steam train (1969)

Amtrak: California Zephyr - Coast Starlight 

. . . . . . .Total Amtrak miles - 11,390

• 4993 miles booked May '17 - Southwest Chief, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Illinois Zephyr.

#5 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,613 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 12 April 2017 - 04:25 PM

Who else has thought about ways to clean the outside of the railfan window on Superliner cars while standing on a boarding platform? I've been thinking about a screw together paint roller handle extension about 12 feet long when assembled.
With a way to lock a painting roller in place, but still be able to advance it for multiple cleaning swipes, I think it might do the trick.

The only problem I can envision is that you may have to wash it at a weird angle or risk being shouted at for standing too close to the tracks. Maybe bribe the SCA to clean it? Do they have a key to open the door like the conductor?

What is the purpose of a rhetorical question?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users