#1 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 31 December 2016 - 03:39 PM

Who else has thought about ways to clean the outside of the railfan window on Superliner cars while standing on a boarding platform?

I've been thinking about a screw together paint roller handle extension about 12 feet long when assembled.

With a way to lock a painting roller in place, but still be able to advance it for multiple cleaning swipes, I think it might do the trick.

1963U. S. Congress - underground trolley system • Disneyland train (1968/various other dates) • Old Tucson steam train (1969)

Amtrak: California Zephyr Coast Starlight •  Southwest ChiefSunset LimitedTexas Eagle • Illinois Zephyr

. . . . . . . Amtrak miles - 16,383, so far.

#2 silmaril

silmaril

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 10:50 PM

Which is the rail fan window?

#3 JayPea

JayPea

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,435 posts
  • Location:Colfax, WA (CFX)---Hey, it's only an Amtrak Thruway bus stop, but at least my town in mentioned on Amtrak's website and in their timetable!
  • Interests:Trains, photography, photography of trains, travel, travel by train, reading, reading about trains............

Posted 09 April 2017 - 02:26 AM

The railfan window is the rear window of the the last car of the train.
Amtrak Routes Traveled: City of New Orleans, State House/Lincoln Service, Empire Builder, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, Capitol Limited, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited, Pacific Surfliner, Cardinal.

Pre-Amtrak Routes Traveled:
Empire Builder (Great Northern), North Coast Limited (Northern Pacific), Abraham Lincoln (Gulf, Mobile, and Ohio), City of Hinkle  (Union Pacific) Panama Limited (Illinois Central)

Bustitutions: Portland-Spokane (EB),Galesburg-Bloomington (CZ/Lincoln Service )

Amtrak Miles: 81242

Pre-Amtrak Miles: 8478

Bustitution Miles: 450

Excursion trains ridden:  Centralia and Chehalis Railroad, Mt. Hood Scenic Railroad, Alaska Railroad, 1880 Train (Black Hills Central RR) and trains at the Illinois Railway Museum, California Railway Museum, and the Monticello (IL) Railroad Museum.

#4 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 12 April 2017 - 08:15 AM

The window is in the door at the end of a car.

The door is disable so passengers can't open it.

But, when the train goes through the wash station the back window doesn't get cleaned.

1963U. S. Congress - underground trolley system • Disneyland train (1968/various other dates) • Old Tucson steam train (1969)

Amtrak: California Zephyr Coast Starlight •  Southwest ChiefSunset LimitedTexas Eagle • Illinois Zephyr

. . . . . . . Amtrak miles - 16,383, so far.

#5 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,801 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 12 April 2017 - 04:25 PM

Who else has thought about ways to clean the outside of the railfan window on Superliner cars while standing on a boarding platform? I've been thinking about a screw together paint roller handle extension about 12 feet long when assembled.
With a way to lock a painting roller in place, but still be able to advance it for multiple cleaning swipes, I think it might do the trick.

The only problem I can envision is that you may have to wash it at a weird angle or risk being shouted at for standing too close to the tracks. Maybe bribe the SCA to clean it? Do they have a key to open the door like the conductor?

If I had a tumor I'd name it Marla.

#6 Angie

Angie

Admin

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:19 AM

Check with a truck stop for a squeegie they make for reaching semi truck windows.   Just saw one yesterday.

#7 bmjhagen9426

bmjhagen9426

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Interests:Computers, riding trains/travel, watching movies/sporting events, listening to music/speeches/talk radio, reading

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:39 PM

Check with a truck stop for a squeegie they make for reaching semi truck windows.   Just saw one yesterday.

What about going on a cherry-picker and using a regular squeegie to clean it? I would suspect that the Canadian does that after going through the Jasper National Park, or whenever the dome windows get too dirty, so what's stopping Amtrak from deploying a cherry-picker and a man with a squeegie.

Just a 23 year old college student who likes to travel by train.
Trains taken (US): Coast Starlight, San Joaquins, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Hoosier State, SP4449 excursion 2015
Commuter/Transit Rail (US): Metra, TriMet, SoundTransit, Muni, LA MetroRail
Trains/Transit taken (Outside US and Canada): KNR, SMSC, SMRT, IRTC, DJET, DX LINE, EVERLINE, HUMETRO, METRO9
Ambus trips: BFD-LAX, EMY-SFC
Current Amtrak mileage: 17251 miles plus 130 Ambus miles

#8 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,107 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 04:45 AM

What about going on a cherry-picker and using a regular squeegie to clean it? I would suspect that the Canadian does that after going through the Jasper National Park, or whenever the dome windows get too dirty, so what's stopping Amtrak from deploying a cherry-picker and a man with a squeegie.
Hmm, money & time comes to mind.

2011: Jun: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // Nov: WIL=>WAS=>CHI=>PRO (NER=>CL=>CZ)
2012: Apr: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // May(NTD): WIL=>PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>PAO=>PHL (Keystone) // Aug: WIL=>WAS (NER) / BWI=>WIL (NER) // Oct(Gathering): PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>HAR=>PHL (Keystone) / SEPTA, NJT, PATCO, River Line, Princeton Dinky
2013: May(NTD): WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct (Gathering): WIL=>CHI (Card) / CHI=>MKE=>GLN=>CHI() / CHI=>JOL=>CHI () / CHI=>WIL(CL=>NER) / CTA, Metra. SEPTA (WIL=>NRK) // Nov:  PHL=>PHL (Autumn Express) 
2014: May(NTD):  WIL=>PHL=>WIL(NER) // May:  WIL=>BOS=>WIL(NER) day trip

2014: Oct(Gathering): WIL=>NYP=>TOL(pd-NER=>LSL) / TOL=>CHI=>LAX=>EMY(pts-LSL=>SWC=>CS) / EMY=>CHI=>TOL (pts-CZ-CL) / TOL=>WAS=>WIL(pd-CL=>NER)
2015: May: CHI=>CIN(pd-Card) / CIN=>WIL(pts Card)
2015;  Oct(Gathering):  WIL=>WAS(Acela) / ALX=>WAS(NER) / WAS=>BAL(Acela) / WAS=>WIL(NER)

2016: Mar: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct:  WIL=>NYP=>NYP=>WIL (Autumn Express) 

#9 VentureForth

VentureForth

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:04 PM

I suggest a big, strong magnet like you clean fish tanks with.

14,223 Amtrak Miles. Many more to go.
Completed Routes: Capitol Limited, Palmetto
Also Ridden: Carolinian, Crescent, Pacific Surfliner, Piedmont, Southwest Chief, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Texas Eagle

#10 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,280 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:16 PM

You have to get the other side of it out there somehow.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#11 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,280 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:16 PM

You have to get the other side of it out there somehow.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#12 Maglev

Maglev

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Interests:Trains, environmental science, planetary volcanism.

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:47 PM

I've been thinking about a screw together paint roller handle extension about 12 feet long when assembled.

At the hotel where I work we have an extend-a-pole with a double-sided squeegee on the end.  The other side of the squeegee is a plush wand that is soaked with window cleaner for washing the window.  The pole reaches maybe twenty feet-other sizes are available.  No need to invent something--it's already out there.

I was really disappointed when I rode a sleeper on the Empire Builder to Portland and it was impossible to see out the rear window because it was so dirty.  Fortunately, the lounge car had clean windows.

Northeast corridor Heritage, Amfleet and Acela, CN Super Continental, Broadway Limited, Lone Star, Sunset Limited, Coast Starlight, San Joaquin, Southwest Limited, National Limited, Champion, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Wolverine, Crescent, Empire Builder, Cascades, Lake Shore Limited, Silver Meteor, Cardinal. 

#13 norfolkwesternhenry

norfolkwesternhenry

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Boating, Trains, Mountain Biking, Trains, Having Fun, Trains, working on my bikes, Trains, planning my next trip, PV, trains, planning trips for family

Posted 18 June 2017 - 10:09 PM

There is always the portable pressure washer...

Empire Builder MSP-CHI (2) CHI-MSP (2) MSP-PDX (1) MSP-CBS (5.5 H late) (1) MKE-MSP (1) MSP-SEA (1) Coast Starlate PDX-EMY (1.5H late) (1) California Zephyr DEN-SLC (1H late) (1) Hiawatha CHI-MKE (1) NE Regional WAS-BAL (1) WAS-NYP (1) Acela Express BAL-WAS (1) BOS-WAS (1) Late Shore (Limited service) CHI-BOS (On Time) (1) Capitol Limited WAS-CHI (1) Texas Eagle SAS-CHI (1.5 HR late, 1 HR late) (2) CHI-SAS (1) (55 min early) Wolverine DET-DER-ARB-CHI (35 Min late) (1) Cascades SEA-VAC (1)
Non-Amtrak: VIA: Corridor Service Q.C.-Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto-Windsor (1) Canadian: VAC-Winnipeg 4.5 H late (1) D. C. metro, Montreal Metro, Toronto subway, Portland streetcars, BART, Metra, NYC subway, Boston subway, Twin cities Blue/Green line
train cars travelled in: Superliner: Coach, Sleeper, Diner, CCC, SSL. Amfleet: LD Café, Café/Business, coach. Viewliner: Sleeper, Diner. Acela: Café, Business, quiet car. Horizon: Coach. Talgo: coach, diner, café; non Amtrak: ex CP Via Canadian Manor cars, Park car, diner,sleeper, Skyline lounge. LRC trainset: coach (tilt de-activated)

No trees were killed to make this, but a number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

My apologies if I offend you, or seem stubborn, it's simply my nature. I am 14 after all, and my English isn't exactly perfect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users