Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Amtrak Bedroom Suite

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Maglev

Maglev

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Interests:Trains, environmental science, planetary volcanism.

Posted 29 December 2016 - 05:29 PM

This is about having a bedroom suite for a short segment of the Coast Starlight in February, 2004.

I was living on Maui, and my girlfriend (now wife) and I had visited a friend of hers on Orcas Island, Washington.  We had booked a bedroom on the Coast Starlight  from Seattle to Los Angeles, from where we would fly back to Maui.  My sister lives in Portland with her husband and son, and they drove to Seattle to meet us.  My sister and nephew were going to ride on the train with us as far as Portland, while her husband drove back.  After we boarded, our SCA informed us that there were two adjacent rooms available as far as Portland, and he could join them as a suite for the four of us.  It was great having plenty of room for everyone, and we could even carry on two separate conversations.

Then there was the time my wife and I rode from Los Angeles to New Orleans with my mother in an adjacent room.  We did not even mention the door between the rooms, and quickly changed the subject when our SCA offered to connect the rooms. 

Edited by Maglev, 02 January 2017 - 12:58 AM.

Northeast corridor Heritage, Amfleet and Acela, CN Super Continental, Broadway Limited, Lone Star, Sunset Limited, Coast Starlight, San Joaquin, Southwest Limited, National Limited, Champion, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Wolverine, Crescent, Empire Builder, Cascades, Lake Shore Limited, Silver Meteor, Cardinal. 

#2 FormerOBS

FormerOBS

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts
  • Interests:Literature; History in general, especially American Hist.; Hist. of RR's & Industry; Camping; Travel; Model Railroading. Retired from Amtrak June, 2014 after 27 years and over 3,500,000 miles. What I say here DOES NOT necessarily represent Amtrak's views or policies.

Posted 01 January 2017 - 12:33 PM

The Heritage sleepers had an option. The folding (not sliding) partition was locked in the closed or open position by the attendant, using a special key that operated locks in the floor and ceiling. The partition had a secondary small door, so that it was possible to pass from one room to the other, even with the partition in place. It could be locked or unlocked from both sides so that the rooms could be sold separately, as was the usual case.

Amtrak's current sleepers have partitions without the secondary small door. They are sliding (not folding) doors that must be secured in one position or the other by the Attendant using locks in the ceiling and floor. It is essential that both are secured. Unfortunately, some of these ceiling and floor locks become less reliable with age. This was less of a problem with the Heritage cars.

Tom 

#3 Tennessee Traveler

Tennessee Traveler

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 06:14 PM

A couple years ago on the City of New Orleans, I had a bedroom and when I returned from dinner or the lounge car, the SCA was in my room re-locking the partition in place.  He said that the partition had not been securely locked in place and actually slid open on a curve much to the surprise of my neighbors.  So that is one reason I prefer the roomette now since it does not have such partitions and my experience is that roomettes rattle less than the bedrooms.

#4 Shortline

Shortline

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 12:33 AM

It does make a huge difference! When wife and son go with me, we always do the two room suite thing. Makes it much nicer! Usually a bedroom when it's me and my son. If just me, I can do a roomette.

Had a last minute trip Kansas City-LAX, all that was available was a family room. That was great having that much space for just me!

Broadway Limited, Ann Rutledge, Misouri Mule, Misouri River Runner, San Diegan, Surfliner, Empire Builder, Sunset Limited, Crescent, Texas Eagle, Blue Water, Wolverine, Pennsylvanian, 3 Rivers, Hiawatha, Heartland Flyer, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Lake Shore Limited, Capitol Limited, Northeast Regional, Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Downeaster, City of New Orleans, City of New Orleans via Pullan Rail Journeys.

#5 EmCee Al

EmCee Al

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 10:15 AM

I prefer the roomette now since it does not have such partitions and my experience is that roomettes rattle less than the bedrooms.

Exactly my experience and preference as well, especially considering the "rattles", at least when traveling solo.  But traveling with Mrs. EmCee means a bedroom for the two of us.

#6 FormerOBS

FormerOBS

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts
  • Interests:Literature; History in general, especially American Hist.; Hist. of RR's & Industry; Camping; Travel; Model Railroading. Retired from Amtrak June, 2014 after 27 years and over 3,500,000 miles. What I say here DOES NOT necessarily represent Amtrak's views or policies.

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:32 AM

You can find rattles wherever you go. The sliding doors of economy rooms (now incorrectly called roomettes) often rattle in their pockets. The problem can be cured by stuffing towels between the door and wall.

Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users