Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Many questions!

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#81 silmaril

silmaril

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 10:25 PM

I noticed an "overseas tourist specific" sim card offer advertised by T mobile when I was in America recently. May not be best value, something like $30 for 3 weeks.

Cheap warm clothing can be bought in many places, "Ross" dress for less and even the drug store chains sell sweatshirts, etc. The Walgreens and similar big drugstore chains are also a good place to buy a fleece blanket for those nights in coach!

Have a great trip!

Ed

Thanks! Getting excited now. 2 days until I fly out! 

I've got the Sim card ready to go, I'll just need to find a Walmart or similar that sells the prepaid credit. 

I've got a mix of Coach and Roomette, and thankfully roomettes for the overnight legs. Solved my problem of coming back to the west coast by taking VIA's The Canadian, with a week long stop in Edmonton. For my leg from Edmonton to Vancouver, VIA rail gave me a free upgrade to a Cabin for 2 :)

Have now planned LA, San Francisco, Glenwood Springs, Denver, Chicago, DC, New York, Boston, Toronto, Edmonton, Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper, Edmonton, Vancouver. I have 15 days left unplanned from Vancouver to make my way back to LA for the flight home. Definitely thinking Seattle, and maybe some National Park visits. 

#82 v v

v v

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 07:03 AM

Hello silmaril

First wish you very well on your adventures, you surely will have experiences you'll keep with you forever.

My first thought when reading your post above was what will the weather be like at the end of your trip in the north west, and if at the end of November/December would it be a comfortable time to travel there? 

For me I would get a cheap flight down to the US deep south and make your way back to LA from Georgia or Florida say (there's a lot more to Florida than Disney if you haven't been) then through the likes of Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas and Arizona. There's plenty to be seen through a train or bus window and with 15 days it gives you time to stop off here and there too.

Just a thought

Whatever, good luck to you and hope you blog your journey on this forum

Edited by v v, 01 October 2017 - 07:04 AM.

#83 silmaril

silmaril

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 07:25 PM

Not sure Florida and Texas would be great places to visit at the moment?

#84 v v

v v

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 07:53 PM

Don't for sure either but there are people local to all those states across the south who frequent this forum who can probably help you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users