70 replies to this topic

#61 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 03:23 PM

Not sure when you are traveling, but could it be that the SWC is sold out and it is a day when the SL/TE doesnt run?

Trains Traveled On:
Texas Eagle                                      Sunset Limited                            California Zephyr                                Southwest Chief                Empire Builder            Capitol Limited           Lake Shore limited (NYP & BOS)      Crescent
Kentucky Cardinal                             Cardinal                                       Pere Marquette                                  Wolverines                        Lincoln Service            Empire Service          Keystone Service                               Acelas
NE Regionals                                    Pioneer                                        Desert Wind                                       Broadway Limited             Three Rivers                Southwest Chief        Coast Starlight                                    Empire Service

Amtrak Miles Logged: over 206,000

#62 silmaril

silmaril

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 09:22 PM

It's my Second favorite US HI after the one in Sacramento! Check it out!

Thanks! Will do.

#63 silmaril

silmaril

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 09:24 PM

Plugging in LA to Chicago on AmTrak only gives me the Coast Starlight if I then take the Empire Builder. Assume I can get around that by booking to SF first. Is it hard to get from SF to Emeryville?

This can't be right.  Southwest Chief runs daily directly between LA and Chicago.  Three days a week the Texas Eagle also run directly between LA and Chicago, but takes an extra day.

The problem with going to Chicago via the Coast Starlight is that it arrives in northern California too late to connect with the California Zephyr to Chicago (unlike some rail planners, Amtrak does not book overnight connections in one reservation).   I like your idea, but what I would do is take the CSL, and spend at least one night in the Northern California and then transfer to the CZ.  You can do this anywhere between Emeryville and Sacramento.

You asked about the cost of booking all the way from origin to destination, rather than breaking up the trip.  While "through" fares may be a little less, in my opinion this would  be overwhelmed by the day to day fluctuations in price, especially for sleepers. What I'm saying is

Booking one ticket (the normal way) EMY to CHI departing on day x and arriving on day x+ 2 (it takes two nights) might be cheaper than booking two tickets EMY to Denver and then DEN to CHI on the same train.  But EMY to DEN departing on day x and DEN to CHI departing on day  x+3 could be cheaper.

Thanks - I'm all booked now :)

I have now booked:

Coast Starlight - LA to SF, Business class

SF to Glenwood Springs - Roomette

Glenwood Springs to Denver - Coach

Denver to Chicago - Roomette

Chicago to DC on the Capitol Limited - Roomette.

3 nights in SF, 1 night Glenwood Springs, 2 nights Denver, 5 nights Chicago, 10 nights DC... and that's as far as I've planned to date!

#64 silmaril

silmaril

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 05:57 AM

Another question (non-Amtrak), if I may...

As I'll be arriving into the US in October and staying until December, it may get rather cold. I've read some thoughts online about clothes being cheaper in the US than here in Aus. Can you give me some pointers on where to find reasonable quality cold weather gear? 

For this, you need to be aware my knowledge of US retail is next to zero, I know there is something called Walmart, and that's about it. 

Thanks,
Adrian.

#65 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,754 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 07 April 2017 - 07:47 AM

Old saying: Never pay retail/list price!😄

I suggest you shop in what we call "Thrift stores" which are basically used clothing.

We have both for profit and charity type such places such as Church and Service Organization Run stores (St. Vincent de Paul,Salvation Army,Goodwill etc.).

The best way to go is to layer up, ie underwear (don't buy used!😄),jeans,cotton shirts,hoodie/fleece jacket,cap/watch cap,gloves.Dont but too much, laundry faculties are available all over.

You should also have a light fleece blanket and travel pillow for your overnights in Coach ( it can get Cold on the train at night)which are available everywhere.

Wal-Mart is great for cheap electronics,drug and household products, but their clothing,while cheap,isn't worth what you pay for it. (foreign made, lots of wierd smells and wierd colors/patterns, mostly knock offs of famous brands!)

Once you're ready to return home, you can donate what you don't want to take home to the non profit thrift stores, Win/Win!!

Edited by Bob Dylan, 07 April 2017 - 07:55 AM.

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#66 ehbowen

ehbowen

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 09:12 AM

Second the idea of the thrift stores and the layers. During the time of year and the places you'll be traveling, you're likely to encounter everything from mild, sunny days in the 70s to winter ice and snow in the 20s (Fahrenheit, of course!). A number of warm but thin layers such as a long-sleeve shirt, sweatshirt, "hoodie", and windbreaker jacket as a top layer is more portable and more practical than a thick winter parka.

Wal-Mart and Target are good choices for necessities such as toiletries and underwear, but you might also try some of the ubiquitous "dollar stores" if you're really in the mood to save money.

broadside-1.jpg 16 inch Armor Piercing...When you care enough to send the very, VERY best!
Visit Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables from the Streamliner era.

#67 PaulM

PaulM

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts
  • Interests:Bicycling, computer programming, website development, concert band, train travel

Posted 07 April 2017 - 10:07 AM

Not sure when you are traveling, but could it be that the SWC is sold out and it is a day when the SL/TE doesnt run?

It is moot now because the OP has booked.  However, it is a common AU misconception that if an accommodation is sold out it does not appear, or that if a train is completely sold out, the  connection won't appear.  In the first case the accommodation appears with the notation "None Left" and the second with "Sold out Train". 

Train don't disappear as long as they are running. I don't know what the current situation is, but traditionally even if a train was canceled, it would appear as sold out.

#68 silmaril

silmaril

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 07:43 PM

Hi again!

Another question if I may - if you had the choice would you take the Acela Express or the Northeast Regional from DC to New York?

Thanks!

#69 ehbowen

ehbowen

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 08:40 PM

If I were paying for it out of my own pocket on my current budget, Northeast Regional. Not really that much slower and a much better price. I'd look into NER business class if I wanted more space.

I would take Acela Express first class if I had money or points to burn or if someone else was paying the bill.

broadside-1.jpg 16 inch Armor Piercing...When you care enough to send the very, VERY best!
Visit Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables from the Streamliner era.

#70 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 05:51 PM

.... Not really that much slower and a much better price.....

I noticed the same thing. Just a few minutes difference in schedule but a lot of dollars difference in price.

#71 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 06:35 PM

Acela First is usually pretty pricey, but sometimes Acela BC and NER are pretty close. Then it is just a timing thing for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users