70 replies to this topic

#41 greatcats

greatcats

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 05:04 AM

Suggestion- stop in Glenwood Springs rather than Denver.
I was a commuter railroad employee in NJ for many years until 2002, and have since been a tour guide at Grand Canyon National Park and Ketchikan, Alaska. Also, have been a National Park Volunteer at Hawaii Volcanoes and now Sunset Crater Volcano near my home. If not on Amtrak, also like long road trips, camping some of the time.

#42 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,754 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:55 AM

Nice trip!😎

Suggestion: Instead of spending all 3 nights in one Big City, consider using local or regional transportation and spend one night in each of the following :

1)Santa Barbara (Surfliner or Coast Starlight)

2)Davis (Capitol Corridor/CZ with Day trip to Sacramento for Cali Rail Museum

3)Glenwood Springs,CO (CZ/on way to Denver)

Chicago and DC are worth 3 nights each ( as is New York if you have the time and money)

Edited by Bob Dylan, 08 March 2017 - 10:57 AM.

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#43 chakk

chakk

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 11:43 AM

Regarding completion of the reconstructed transbay terminal, it could be close. Current projection is "autumn 2017", which means anytime between late September and late December.

BTW, October is typically one of the nicest months of the year in San Francisco, weatherwise.

Autumn colors in the Colorado Rockies peak the last week of September.

Edited by chakk, 08 March 2017 - 11:43 AM.

#44 silmaril

silmaril

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 02:20 AM

What's the attraction for Glenwood Springs over Denver?

#45 ehbowen

ehbowen

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 05:11 AM

Glenwood Springs is a very, very pretty resort town. I've never stopped there, but I saw it through the windows of the CZ last September and I wanted to.

broadside-1.jpg 16 inch Armor Piercing...When you care enough to send the very, VERY best!
Visit Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables from the Streamliner era.

#46 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 12 March 2017 - 11:13 AM

What's the attraction for Glenwood Springs over Denver?

Attractions

Very scenic.

At the confluence of the Colorado River and Roaring Fork rivers.

At the west end of Glenwood Canyon that has miles of bicycycle and walking trails, picnic areas, white water rafting, fishing, etc.

There is a world famous hot springs/hotel/resort across the river from the Amtrak station.

And more:

https://en.wikipedia...rings,_Colorado

Edited by KmH, 12 March 2017 - 11:14 AM.

1963U. S. Congress - underground trolley system • Disneyland train (1968/various other dates) • Old Tucson steam train (1969)

Amtrak: California Zephyr Coast Starlight •  Southwest ChiefSunset LimitedTexas Eagle • Illinois Zephyr

. . . . . . . Amtrak miles - 16,383, so far.

#47 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,754 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings

Posted 12 March 2017 - 12:32 PM

Not to mention the Cemetery where Doc Holiday is buried ( his exact gravesite isn't known), plus some great Bar-B-Q,Craft Beer and neat mom and pop stores in this small mountain village!

Weekdays are best, Denverites have discovered it and flock there on weekend get-a-ways!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#48 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 06:04 PM

October, the foliage on the CL route will be nice along the river south of Connellsville to Harpers Ferry.

Trains Traveled On:
Texas Eagle                                      Sunset Limited                            California Zephyr                                Southwest Chief                Empire Builder            Capitol Limited           Lake Shore limited (NYP & BOS)      Crescent
Kentucky Cardinal                             Cardinal                                       Pere Marquette                                  Wolverines                        Lincoln Service            Empire Service          Keystone Service                               Acelas
NE Regionals                                    Pioneer                                        Desert Wind                                       Broadway Limited             Three Rivers                Southwest Chief        Coast Starlight                                    Empire Service

Amtrak Miles Logged: over 206,000

#49 chakk

chakk

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 12:38 AM

Glenwood Springs is also a 20 minute ride on the local county bus service to the tony town of Aspen

Edited by chakk, 07 April 2017 - 08:51 PM.

#50 silmaril

silmaril

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 04:06 AM

Hold onto your hats everyone, I have booked my flights!!!

Arriving LA on 3rd October, departing 10th December :)

#51 silmaril

silmaril

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:47 PM

I have now booked:

Coast Starlight - LA to SF, Business class

SF to Glenwood Springs - Roomette

Glenwood Springs to Denver - Coach

Denver to Chicago - Roomette

Chicago to DC on the Capitol Limited - Roomette.

Getting exciting! :)

#52 ehbowen

ehbowen

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:22 PM

I have now booked:

Coast Starlight - LA to SF, Business class

SF to Glenwood Springs - Roomette

Glenwood Springs to Denver - Coach

Denver to Chicago - Roomette

Chicago to DC on the Capitol Limited - Roomette.

Getting exciting! :)

Sounds like the makings of a great trip!

broadside-1.jpg 16 inch Armor Piercing...When you care enough to send the very, VERY best!
Visit Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables from the Streamliner era.

#53 Rockymtnchris

Rockymtnchris

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Interests:Travel, of course! Also superheroes and sports figures.

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:27 PM

Is there really a savings booking coach from Glenwood Springs to Denver, then transferring to a roomette? Or are you planning an overniter in Denver? If so, I can make suggestions for rooms along the RTD A-Line here that would be way less than downtown.

titavatar_zpsgppjc9u6.jpg

I'll always consider new forms of travel, including time...

#54 silmaril

silmaril

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:56 PM

Is there really a savings booking coach from Glenwood Springs to Denver, then transferring to a roomette? Or are you planning an overniter in Denver? If so, I can make suggestions for rooms along the RTD A-Line here that would be way less than downtown.

Yes, planning 2 nights in Denver. Recommendations definitely welcome!

#55 Rockymtnchris

Rockymtnchris

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:16 PM

Yes, planning 2 nights in Denver. Recommendations definitely welcome!

As it appeares you'll be traveling in the fall (Oct-Dec.), I'll need to update you as time gets closer, but for a head start take a look at the A-Line train map which runs approximately every fifteen minutes between Union Station (Amtrak) in downtown Denver and Denver International Airport which is a good twenty miles (over 32 kilometres) to the northeast of downtown.

http://www.rtd-denve.../map-a-line.jpg

Between the Peoria (light rail transfer) and Gateway Park stations are dozens of modern hotels and motels catering to both airport passengers as well as motorists on Interstate 70. When my father comes to visit from California I can book him an extended stay Crossland suite (has mini-kitchen) for around $40 USD a nite when done with proper advance notice (not too early, but not too short, either). It's located on Chambers, just north of Smith Road that runs parallel to the A-line tracks. In comparison, the cheapest room in the downtown Denver area I can pull up on Expedia for the end of the first week in October runs $88 for one person, and it's a really old Days Inn on Colfax (old US 40) that once appeared in a Clint Eastwood movie as the Royale Inn. In addition some parts of that Capitol Hill area can get pretty sleazy after dark, and you would need to take the 15 bus out of Union Station to get dropped of at their corner. Any decent lodging within walking distance of Denver's Union Station is going to run into the triple digits unless you know how to pull off some sort of miracle. 

Anyway I'll be more than happy to help you scout out a room, but I wouldn't do any serious booking until around late August at the earliest as the major sites tend to show the lowest rates in a 30-60 day out window.

Edited by Rockymtnchris, 19 March 2017 - 04:20 PM.

#56 silmaril

silmaril

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:54 AM

Thanks. Crossland looks really good, and even now the prices are reasonable!

#57 Rockymtnchris

Rockymtnchris

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:55 PM

Thanks. Crossland looks really good, and even now the prices are reasonable!

Yes, if all you really need is a room, then I don't think you're going to do better pricewise. Don't be scared off by reviews you might read regarding places like these. This particular Crossland location was built back in the mid-1990's when they opened Denver International Airport and I'll admit their "dated" rooms do look very 20th century still...

hqdefault.jpgNote the plaid spreads and CRT-type television.

Outside of having to wait one time to check my father in as they were having a shift change at the desk (understandable), I've never experienced any of the "noisy/run-down/bad-service" problems that the reviewers complained about. My dad has told me this place has always been quiet for him to sleep despite this facility being frequented by trucker and biker types due to its location. I assume the sight of such clientele has caused some guests to question their security in their write-ups, but they've always left myself and my father alone. (FWIW, my dad was actually attacked at a Motel 6 in Sacramento one morning in 2014, so he'd be the first to raise a red flag if he sensed a safety issue.) I know he'll have no reservations about staying at a Crossland again on his next visit. (no pun intended on the word reservation:)

Edited by Rockymtnchris, 21 March 2017 - 01:25 PM.

#58 silmaril

silmaril

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 02:51 AM

Hi all,

Me again! I was hoping to find some recommendations about places to stay in Chicago. I'll be there for 5 nights. 

There looks like a huge range of options on Booking.com and Expedia, quite a few at very reasonable prices but some distance from the city-centre. I've no issues with staying a fair way out, as long as there's decent public transport to get into the city. Not sure about the car hire idea, given the side of the road you lot drive on  :P

Any recommendations appreciated!

Edited by silmaril, 06 April 2017 - 02:51 AM.

#59 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,754 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 11:48 AM

Google up the Hostel International that is located on Congress St. close to the Lake,Michigan Avenue and right beside the L.

Shared rooms are around $30 a night, Private Rooms are like $75 and includes Breakfast and use of their kitchen for other meals. Also discounts,on tickets,tours,entertainment etc. from the friendly and helpful staff.

Very nice, people of all ages from all over the World stay there.Book early,it's very popular!

It's my Second favorite US HI after the one in Sacramento! Check it out!

Edited by Bob Dylan, 06 April 2017 - 11:50 AM.

#60 PaulM

PaulM

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts
  • Interests:Bicycling, computer programming, website development, concert band, train travel

Posted 06 April 2017 - 03:13 PM

Plugging in LA to Chicago on AmTrak only gives me the Coast Starlight if I then take the Empire Builder. Assume I can get around that by booking to SF first. Is it hard to get from SF to Emeryville?

This can't be right.  Southwest Chief runs daily directly between LA and Chicago.  Three days a week the Texas Eagle also run directly between LA and Chicago, but takes an extra day.

The problem with going to Chicago via the Coast Starlight is that it arrives in northern California too late to connect with the California Zephyr to Chicago (unlike some rail planners, Amtrak does not book overnight connections in one reservation).   I like your idea, but what I would do is take the CSL, and spend at least one night in the Northern California and then transfer to the CZ.  You can do this anywhere between Emeryville and Sacramento.

You asked about the cost of booking all the way from origin to destination, rather than breaking up the trip.  While "through" fares may be a little less, in my opinion this would  be overwhelmed by the day to day fluctuations in price, especially for sleepers. What I'm saying is

Booking one ticket (the normal way) EMY to CHI departing on day x and arriving on day x+ 2 (it takes two nights) might be cheaper than booking two tickets EMY to Denver and then DEN to CHI on the same train.  But EMY to DEN departing on day x and DEN to CHI departing on day  x+3 could be cheaper.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users