What if I miss my connection?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZiaReba

Train Attendant
Hi - I am taking a sleeper on the Empire Builder to Portland then picking up the Coast Starlight heading to L.A. There is a 4 hour gap between arrival and departure. If the Empire Builder is late and I miss the Coast Starlight, will Amtrak put me up? Will I be put in a sleeper on the next Coast Starlight? What if they are sold out?!

Hi - I am taking a sleeper on the Empire Builder to Portland then picking up the Coast Starlight heading to L.A. There is a 4 hour gap between arrival and departure. If the Empire Builder is late and I miss the Coast Starlight, will Amtrak put me up? Will I be put in a sleeper on the next Coast Starlight? What if they are sold out?!
If they know well enough in advance that you'll miss your connection, they'll put you on a bus (can't remember which stop) to catch up with the Coast Starlight. If not, they'll put you in a hotel. If the next day's CS's sleepers are sold out, you'll ride in coach (and should get a refund of the sleeper cost).

I believe that going north, they bus you from Klamath Falls OR to Pasco WA, so it's probably the same going south.

But, they'll have to wake you up at 5am to do that, so maybe not.

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends on how late the train is, as far as where they'll bus you from/to.

I was on the northbound CS to connect to the eastbound EB. They bussed us from Albany, OR to Portland up I-5. I was on a late westbound EB to connect to the southbound CS. They kept us on the train all the way to Portland and held the CS.

So there is no "set rule".

You will be put up, at Amtrak's expense, but you may or may not have a sleeper the next day (depending if any are available the next day).

I will cross my fingers. Thanks.
I understand that not everyone can do what I do. But, on any Amtrak trip where there is a connection to be made, I build into my itinerary an overnight stay in that city of the connection. My blood pressure and nerves are the beneficiary if my train is running late.

I have learned if it looks like I'm facing a blown connection, I get right on the phone with Amtrak (or AGR if a Rewards ticket) and a good agent will get your new connection set up so you don't have to stand in line or sweat out getting a Sleeper next day. Of course if a hotel and meal money is involved, you'll likely have to line up for that but knowing your next day's train is already taken care of, you can relax.

Thanks Oregon pioneer! I checked for the last month and only twice was the delay long enough to miss a connection!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back