Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Viewliner II - Part 2 - Production and Delivery

• Please log in to reply
1859 replies to this topic

#1841 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 11:28 AM

Keep in mind that adding a full sleeper may add more rooms, but it also adds an additional staff person. getting rooms back for sale in revenue cars does not. Also, a business wants to add supply primarily to maximize yield, too great a supply can drive down prices to the point that you may be carrying more passengers, but not making more money. 

#1842 Ziv

Ziv

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 12:23 PM

I have to admit that part of my rationale for more sleeping cars is reflected in your comment. If there is a larger supply of sleeping cars, I have a better chance of getting low bucket rates when I want to travel. But it isn't all bad, given how relatively quickly sleepers sell up to top bucket most of the time (they don't seem to sell out as often but they do get close) it seems like Amtrak could use quite a few more sleepers while still maintaining a good return on investment. And I can get my Empire Builder trip at low bucket or 2nd low bucket. It is all good!

I think if the sleeper supply remains too high, they would just put a sleeper onto a siding for a week or two and get both cleaning and maintenance done.

Keep in mind that adding a full sleeper may add more rooms, but it also adds an additional staff person. getting rooms back for sale in revenue cars does not. Also, a business wants to add supply primarily to maximize yield, too great a supply can drive down prices to the point that you may be carrying more passengers, but not making more money. 

Edited by Ziv, 04 May 2018 - 12:28 PM.

• cpotisch likes this

#1843 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 02:42 PM

It is also part of why I usually end up on a NER to the CL to get to Chicago for a connecting leg. LSL is almost always higher, and often not available.

#1844 KnightRail

KnightRail

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 04:58 PM

NASHVILLE is headed from Washington to Boston tonight/Monday AM. Let the Sleeper Lounge preparations begin.

Edited by KnightRail, 06 May 2018 - 08:55 PM.

#1845 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,509 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 06 May 2018 - 05:01 PM

Training for Southampton Street folks for handling the LSL?

#1846 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,095 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 05:10 PM

Can't be.  We all know that the LSL will never get a new diner.  ;p

Of course, it will be just in time for the switch from diner to sleeper lounge.  

#1847 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,856 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 10:19 PM

Indeed. It will be for training. Once they are done with it, one will go to CHI. When the LSL reroute occurs, there will be 5 committed to the operation. 3 in the sets, with a protect in CHI and BOS. NOL, NYP and HIA will keep their protects as well.

• cpotisch likes this

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#1848 PRR 60

PRR 60

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,922 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 03:01 PM

Discussion of the Lake Shore Limited, additional cars, and platform lengths has been split into a new topic: Lake Shore Limited and Train Length Issues

#1849 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,169 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 09 May 2018 - 04:57 PM

Indeed. It will be for training. Once they are done with it, one will go to CHI. When the LSL reroute occurs, there will be 5 committed to the operation. 3 in the sets, with a protect in CHI and BOS. NOL, NYP and HIA will keep their protects as well.

That can’t be true, Trainz Magazine says there are 57 Viewliner Diners sitting in Miami rusting away.

• AmtrakBlue, CraigDK and cpotisch like this
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#1850 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 20 May 2018 - 08:11 AM

Ok, so last month I said that the three diners should be ready by May 20th. Does anyone know if they are?

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#1851 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,095 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 08:53 AM

Ok, so last month I said that the three diners should be ready by May 20th. Does anyone know if they are?

If they were, TR7 would have hinted about it, right?  

#1852 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 10:27 AM

Not a new batch. The ones delivered last month: 68020-22.

Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#1853 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,095 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 10:35 AM

In that case, TR7 or AmtrakLKL will let us know when any of them are released in the wild.  These guys/gals are dependable, so no need to keep asking.

• cpotisch likes this

#1854 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,509 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 20 May 2018 - 10:39 AM

Mom! Are we there yet? :giggle:

• AmtrakBlue likes this

#1855 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,856 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 10:41 AM

Two of them deadheaded on 98(19).

• cpotisch likes this

#1856 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 10:45 AM

So they’re at Sunnyside now? And are ready for service?

#1857 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,095 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 12:33 PM

Or heading to Chicago for training.
  • Thirdrail7 and cpotisch like this

#1858 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,856 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 12:49 PM

Or heading to Chicago for training.

They are not in SSYD. I think one is headed for CHI as Blue mentioned and the other is heading for BOS.

• AmtrakBlue and cpotisch like this

#1859 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 05:55 PM

Do you think they'll bother marking the Sleeper Lounges as such? Or is that not worth the trouble and the cars will still be marked as diners?

#1860 lordsigma

lordsigma

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 08:17 PM

Do you think they'll bother marking the Sleeper Lounges as such? Or is that not worth the trouble and the cars will still be marked as diners?

Would seem to me it would make sense not to because then the cars are interchangeable with the diners on the SM and Crescent (presuming the same thing doesn't happen to those two trains also of course.)

• cpotisch likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users