Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Viewliner II - Part 2 - Production and Delivery

• Please log in to reply
1385 replies to this topic

#1381 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,506 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted Yesterday, 10:02 PM

Maybe they actually move entire consists or big chunks around from train to train to substitute bad ordered equipment in one so that it can be fixed and then put into a consist that departs later. I know this sort of thing happens at Sunnyside for example.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#1382 LookingGlassTie

LookingGlassTie

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:41 PM

Not sure if it has been mentioned already in this thread, but does Amtrak have any solid plans (or at least a desire) to order any Viewliner II coaches?   If so, how would they be different from the Amfleets?    

"And you know that notion just crossed my mind............"

#1383 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,732 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted Yesterday, 10:53 PM

No, they don’t.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#1384 cpotisch

cpotisch

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cars, Politics

Posted Today, 12:51 PM

Not sure if it has been mentioned already in this thread, but does Amtrak have any solid plans (or at least a desire) to order any Viewliner II coaches?   If so, how would they be different from the Amfleets?    

I can't imagine Amtrak ordering V-II coaches. CAF has finished producing the car bodies, so they would have to re-open that production line and design/build the new interiors. Plus, because the V-II order have been such an utter disaster for CAF, I suspect they would fight 'Trak tooth and nail. It would be cool to have the double row of windows in coach, but I can't imagine this coming to fruition.

Edited by cpotisch, Today, 12:51 PM.

Routes: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

#1385 DCAKen

DCAKen

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted Today, 01:26 PM

It would be cool to have the double row of windows in coach, but I can't imagine this coming to fruition.

I can't imagine how you'd have a double row of windows in a coach and still have overhead luggage racks

#1386 A Voice

A Voice

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted Today, 02:17 PM

It would be cool to have the double row of windows in coach, but I can't imagine this coming to fruition.

I can't imagine how you'd have a double row of windows in a coach and still have overhead luggage racks

Not all Viewliners have a second row of windows (or even a single row...), nor is it a requirement.  But just for the sake of argument, if passengers can ride next to that window in an upper berth, I'm not sure why my suitcase couldn't in a luggage rack.

Unless plans have changed, Amtrak does indeed intend to order replacement (Amfleet II) coaches and lounges.  What form those might take (Viewliner or something else) and from what manufacturer (CAF, Siemens, Alstom, etc.) is little more than speculation at this point.  

Edited by A Voice, Today, 02:18 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users