Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Viewliner II - Part 2 - Production and Delivery

• Please log in to reply
1239 replies to this topic

#1201 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:52 PM

What exactly is the model of trucks on the V-2s ? Is it the same as V-1s ?

#1202 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,874 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 08 December 2017 - 08:11 AM

Kenworth W900Ls.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#1203 cpotisch

cpotisch

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cars, Politics

Posted 08 December 2017 - 08:25 AM

Kenworth W900Ls.

LOL

I forget the model, but I believe they are slightly different than the V-Is, with less rolling resistance at high speeds (125 mph), and better brakes. I dont know beyond that.

Edited by cpotisch, 08 December 2017 - 08:26 AM.

Routes: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

#1204 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,311 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 08 December 2017 - 08:36 AM

GSI Horizon trucks, VL IIs have the same trucks as VL Is, except for heftier springs on the trucks under the Baggage cars.

The speed difference has mostly to do with wheel profile and brake setup. And the Baggage Cars have heftier springs that are colored Red.

And of course there is a big C stamped on the truck components for "Columbus", instead of the traditional B for "Buckeye". I don't know what is stamped on the post-Columbus parts. Or whether any such are used in any of the VL IIs. My understanding is that all the castings for the trucks for the VL II order were delivered before Columbus went under. Post Columbus castings for the same GSI trucks came out as a fix for problems they had in the Silverliner V order AFAIR. I don't know if any of those castings were ever used in any VL II GSI trucks.

Edited by jis, 12 December 2017 - 11:14 AM.

#1205 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,640 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 12 December 2017 - 09:57 AM

Delivered_Diners=Delivered_Diners+2
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#1206 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,874 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 10:18 AM

Delivered_Diners!=interesting
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Posted Image

#1207 tommylicious

tommylicious

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 10:36 AM

there is photo on another Amtrak group of 2 new diners leaving Elmira this AM.   which line is getting them?

#1208 twropr

twropr

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:35 AM

Today (Dec 12) 68014 (Jackson) and 68015 (Lansing) were picked up by NS Special train #975 at Elmira Heights, NY.  They are scheduled to move on SILVER METEOR #97 to Miami for prepping, probably leaving NY on the 13th.

Andy

#1209 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,311 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:56 AM

Heritage 8505 was on 20(8) which I saw arrive into Washington Union Station on the 9th. So we are still not at all VL II + 8400 always state.

97(9) had 8400 BTW. I was on that train.

#1210 WoodyinNYC

WoodyinNYC

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 12:15 PM

twropr

Train Attendant

•  
  • Training
  • bullet_black.png
  • 17 posts

Posted Today, 11:35 AM

Today (Dec 12) 68014 (Jackson) and 68015 (Lansing) were picked up by NS Special train #975 at Elmira Heights, NY.  They are scheduled to move on SILVER METEOR #97 to Miami for prepping, probably leaving NY on the 13th.

Andy

-----------------------------------------------

Andy, I have reposted your good news to this thread. The other thread is supposed to be a running total, not the spot for news flashes. LOL. But this is such good news it doesn't hurt to post it twice! Thanks for the details.

------------------------------------------------

Is it just me, or does CAF seem to be getting a little speed up, with shorter intervals between deliveries? Nah, that would be too good to be true. 

#1211 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,640 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 12 December 2017 - 12:17 PM

Diners aren’t assigned to a specific line. Like every other diner it’ll probably start on 97/98 so that it can get back to FL if needed, then enter the general rotation.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#1212 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,311 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 12:23 PM

The plan was to get to two per month. They seem to have finally achieved that. So it will hopefully be two per month regularly now. That still takes us almost past mid year before all the Diners are delivered.

#1213 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,263 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 08:36 PM

There will probably be a break between that and the ten bag-dorms... which is going to take us into 2019 before we see the sleepers...

Income lost due to CAF's screwups because Viewliners are profitable...

--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#1214 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 12:13 AM

My math has the 2 on October 31 and 2 on the 12th = 6 weeks.  still not  fast enough.

#1215 twropr

twropr

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 11:40 AM

On Tues. Dec. 12 Jackson 68014 and Lansing 68015 were picked up at Elmira Heights, NY by an Amtrak crew

Andy

#1216 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,311 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 01:40 PM

So, if this cadence continues, it will be well into third or fourth quarter of '18 before all the Diners are in.

#1217 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,874 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 03:40 PM

Not only that, but if my aunt had wheels, shed be a tea cart. Actually, DPA likes to say a bus, but I think that comes from the fact that a bus is semi-synonymous with tea cart, hence bussing tables and busboys.

Edited by Green Maned Lion, 13 December 2017 - 03:42 PM.

Posted Image

#1218 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,301 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 07:39 PM

They are scheduled to move on SILVER METEOR #97 to Miami for prepping, probably leaving NY on the 13th.

Andy

Ummm...probably not since 97(13) was scheduled to operate with 5 private cars. I hope no one was not out there looking for them since they were "probably" scheduled to hold a day and leave on the 14th.

Edited by Thirdrail7, 13 December 2017 - 07:40 PM.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#1219 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,263 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:15 PM

Oh, come on, the Silver Meteor can handle its 10 usual cars, 1 seasonal car, 5 private cars and two deadheading cars. :-) Nice flat route, really long platforms, what's the problem? We need more 18-car trains running. :-)

Edited by neroden, 13 December 2017 - 08:15 PM.

--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#1220 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,085 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 12:23 AM

They are scheduled to move on SILVER METEOR #97 to Miami for prepping, probably leaving NY on the 13th.
Andy

Ummm...probably not since 97(13) was scheduled to operate with 5 private cars. I hope no one was not out there looking for them since they were "probably" scheduled to hold a day and leave on the 14th.

Even if I was I’d gladly take 5 PV’s over crappy diners.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum
These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Viewliner