Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Viewliner II - Part 2 - Production and Delivery

• Please log in to reply
977 replies to this topic

#961 PRR 60

PRR 60

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:02 PM

Amtrak exercising options with CAF reminds me of the scene in Animal House with pledges getting spanked at the fraternity hazing, then saying, "Thank you sir, may I have another."

#962 dlagrua

dlagrua

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Interests:Car collecting, Train Travel, Model RR, Visiting Historical sights, Cooking, Antiques, but above all love for friends and family.

Posted 12 November 2017 - 03:58 PM

I’m tired of people posting how bad things are - based on their standards - and telling everyone else to avoid those things.
We all have OUR own level of tolerance for everything in OUR life and I, for one, would not tell someone to avoid something I personally did not like.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

On any forum we share the open exchange of ideas and opinions. Some people have higher standards than others. Many prefer the 4 star restaurants and some prefer the pizza places. I agree that its unfair to tell others what they should or should not eat but a persons opinion of Amtrak cuisine can be useful.. Having dined with Alain Ducasse, Joel Rubochon, Mario Batali, Paul Prudhomme, Lydia, Bastianich,  Jean-Michel Bergougnoux, and others; it is hoped that my opinions of Amtrak food, (made as connoisseur of fine cuisine) can be useful .   

#963 DSS&A

DSS&A

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 04:19 PM

Amtrak exercising options with CAF reminds me of the scene in Animal House with pledges getting spanked at the fraternity hazing, then saying, "Thank you sir, may I have another."

I know, but getting more revenue generating sleepers and a least a few more diners now will be beneficial for the future.

Edited by DSS&A, 12 November 2017 - 05:33 PM.

#964 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 04:33 PM

So...you think Amtrak will exercise the order! ^_^ Besides, by the time the final sleeper rolls off the line, we may need new baggage cars! ^_^

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#965 DSS&A

DSS&A

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 05:07 PM

Hi Thirdrail 7,
Yes I think more equipment will benefit Amtrak, but CAF's actions on this contract that we know from the sidelines is horrible. With more V2 sleepers, Amtrak would be able to replace the interiors of the V1 sleepers quicker and have more good revenue generating cars in its fleet! I know I am "on the sidelines on this particular Amtrak improvement", so I and many others will have to see what happens.....

Edited by DSS&A, 12 November 2017 - 05:32 PM.

#966 cpotisch

cpotisch

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cars, Politics

Posted 12 November 2017 - 05:23 PM

These seem to be the current routes for all the diners, based on their most recent sightings.

Silver Meteor:

Charleston - October 17

Columbus - November 10

Boston - November 12

Crescent:

Augusta - October 12

Indianapolis - November 10

Annapolis - October 27

Baton Rouge - November 11

Columbia - November 11

When I got off 67 this morning (10/17/17) in Washington, 98 was on the other side of the platform with Charleston diner in the consist.

That post was almost a month ago, and is the last sighting of Charleston I've been able to found. Despite having looked at probably 40 or more recent videos of the Crescent and Meteor, I haven't found 68006 anywhere since then, so it seems to be out of service.

Augusta is a similar story. Last time I saw or heard about was on 10/12 as is mentioned above. From that I've concluded that 68003 is also out of service

All of this would make sense, as that would mean that the Crescent is currently running with Indianapolis, Annapolis, Baton Rouge, and Columbia, while the Meteor has Columbus, Boston, and two Heritage diners.

What I'm wondering is: Why have Charleston and Augusta been taken out of service? If they're in perfect shape, there's no point keeping them as reserves. Heritage cars are far less reliable than V-IIs (as has been mentioned here a thousand times), so one would think V-IIs would be the preferred equipment to use.

My guess is that there are mechanical issues with 68003 and '006, but have no idea from there.

Does anyone here have any idea what's going on there?

Edited by cpotisch, 12 November 2017 - 07:02 PM.

Routes: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

#967 cpotisch

cpotisch

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:06 PM

Hi Thirdrail 7,
Yes I think more equipment will benefit Amtrak, but CAF's actions on this contract that we know from the sidelines is horrible. With more V2 sleepers, Amtrak would be able to replace the interiors of the V1 sleepers quicker and have more good revenue generating cars in its fleet! I know I am "on the sidelines on this particular Amtrak improvement", so I and many others will have to see what happens.....

If Amtrak were to replace the interiors of the V-Is, are they expected to make them just like the V-IIs, or more of a touch up (like keep the roomettes' toilet)

Routes: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

#968 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,176 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:23 PM

Thirdrail may know more about all this, but I think the Roomette toilets will be gone, but the sink will be retained. They will have to yank out most of the Roomette modules anyway in order tog et the restroom module in, so might as well fix them up properly.

#969 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:40 PM

These seem to be the current routes for all the diners, based on their most recent sightings.

Silver Meteor:

Charleston - October 17

Columbus - November 10

Boston - November 12

Crescent:

Augusta - October 12

Annapolis - October 27

Columbia - November 11

When I got off 67 this morning (10/17/17) in Washington, 98 was on the other side of the platform with Charleston diner in the consist.

That post was almost a month ago, and is the last sighting of Charleston I've been able to found. Despite having looked at probably 40 or more recent videos of the Crescent and Meteor, I haven't found 68006 anywhere since then, so it seems to be out of service.

Augusta is a similar story. Last time I saw or heard about was on 10/12 as is mentioned above. From that I've concluded that 68003 is also out of service

All of this would make sense, as that would mean that the Crescent is currently running with Indianapolis, Annapolis, Baton Rouge, and Columbia, while the Meteor has Columbus, Boston, and two Heritage diners.

What I'm wondering is: Why have Charleston and Augusta been taken out of service? If they're in perfect shape, there's no point keeping them as reserves. Heritage cars are far less reliable than V-IIs (as has been mentioned here a thousand times), so one would think V-IIs would be the preferred equipment to use.

My guess is that there are mechanical issues with 68003 and '006, but have no idea from there.

Yes....you're panicky individual that is depending on youtube videos for information. Both cars have been used in service in the last weeks although one of them is up for PM soon.

Edited by Thirdrail7, 12 November 2017 - 07:47 PM.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#970 PRR 60

PRR 60

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 08:01 PM

So...you think Amtrak will exercise the order! ^_^ Besides, by the time the final sleeper rolls off the line, we may need new baggage cars! ^_^

Maybe the sarcasm was a little too subtle?

#971 me_little_me

me_little_me

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 09:25 PM

On any forum we share the open exchange of ideas and opinions. Some people have higher standards than others. Many prefer the 4 star restaurants and some prefer the pizza places. I agree that its unfair to tell others what they should or should not eat but a persons opinion of Amtrak cuisine can be useful.. Having dined with Alain Ducasse, Joel Rubochon, Mario Batali, Paul Prudhomme, Lydia, Bastianich,  Jean-Michel Bergougnoux, and others; it is hoped that my opinions of Amtrak food, (made as connoisseur of fine cuisine) can be useful .   

That's funny! I dined with them also. We met as a group and ate at Roi Bergere. I believe Mario had the Roi de la Ferme, Paul had the Roi du Bacon and Alain had the Sandwich au Poulet et au Parmesan. I can't remember what the others ate.

#972 DSS&A

DSS&A

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 10:51 PM

Hi Thirdrail 7,

If Amtrak were to replace the interiors of the V-Is, are they expected to make them just like the V-IIs, or more of a touch up (like keep the roomettes' toilet)

I had read about the idea that Amtrak was going to perform a rehabilitation on the original V1 sleepers after the V2s arrived and funding was programmed. I recall the posting stated the rehab plan was to make the V1s have the same room arrangement as the V2s. If recollection is incorrect, my apologies.

#973 cpotisch

cpotisch

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:52 AM

Silver Meteor:

Charleston - October 17

Columbus - November 10

Boston - November 12

Crescent:

Augusta - October 12

Annapolis - October 27

Columbia - November 11

Yes....you're panicky individual that is depending on youtube videos for information. Both cars have been used in service in the last weeks although one of them is up for PM soon.

I'm not panicking about this (at least I don't think I am), I was just genuinely wondering why I hadn't found Augusta anywhere recently. I'm sorry for clogging up the thread, but I figured that if there were something wrong with the V-IIs, that it would be of note.

#974 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,215 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:15 PM

Below is my food report from a recent LSL trip. The crew’s efforts optimized the experience (they took lemons & made lemonade).

I will say this: the crews have always, always, always done their level best.  Management simply isn't giving the crew the support they need to do a good job.  They've actually been ordered to destroy the ingredients lists on the packaging they receive at the beginning of the trip, which is ridiculous.

As for the Viewliner sleepers... well, they're definite profit generators (at least on the LSL) and Amtrak needs them approximately 10 years ago, but with the dining cars still having problems I can see that maybe management just isn't thinking about them for a couple of quarters.

--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#975 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,176 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:44 PM

I am hearing rumbles about 2019 being the earliest when one can expect the Sleepers. I hope it is earlier than that.

#976 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,215 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:49 PM

If we continue to get two dining cars per month, they'll all be in service around the end of next June.  I would actually expect the bag-dorms to come next, and if they're still coming out at two per month, that takes us almost to the end of 2018.  :-(

Edited by neroden, 13 November 2017 - 02:49 PM.

--Nathanael--

#977 OlympianHiawatha

OlympianHiawatha

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:50 PM

I am hearing rumbles about 2019 being the earliest when one can expect the Sleepers. I hope it is earlier than that.

If that is the case, then this entire CAF order has gotten completely out of hand as far as "timely" delivery is concerned; I would hope Amtrak could sue to recover a good portion of their investment.

#978 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,215 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 03:01 PM

If that is the case, then this entire CAF order has gotten completely out of hand as far as "timely" delivery is concerned; I would hope Amtrak could sue to recover a good portion of their investment.

Well, Amtrak only pays upon delivery.  The result is that Amtrak has had extra cash for years on end and has collected the interest on it.  (Though, more accurately, what Amtrak has done is to pay off old debt and *stop* paying the interest on that.)  I suspect Amtrak gets a discount for anything which has to be done as "field mods" which should have been done by CAF as well.

(By the way, did anyone notice that the Penn Station Mortgage matured in June?  I actually really want to see updated Amtrak 2017 financial statements... all the old high-interest-rate loans have been going away recently, which helps.)

Edited by neroden, 13 November 2017 - 03:05 PM.

--Nathanael--

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users