Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Viewliner II - Part 2 - Production and Delivery

• Please log in to reply
1247 replies to this topic

#781 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,642 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 08 October 2017 - 04:45 PM

The problem is that there are a sizable number of people that think that way... :(
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#782 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,271 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:37 AM

In my now happily retired career, I worked my way up and down several management chains.  I learned two important things.

First, the level of management above you has access to a lot more information than you do, and has very different priorities than you think they should have.

Second, despite this advanced level of information and priorities, they still mess things up.

Heh. Nice comment.

I have learned from experience never to assume that professionals actually know more about their own business than I do -- sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

It's pretty obvious that Amtrak's sense of priorities has been... confused... over the years. Perhaps my favorite example was that Claytor, Downs, Warrington, Gunn, Hughes, Kummant, and Crosbie made no efforts towards ADA compliance for the first *25 years* for which the law was in effect -- and Lewis, Reistrup, Boyd, and Claytor largely ignored the Architectural Barriers Act of 1968 for 20 years before that. While I'm sure they had other things on their mind, given that Amtrak attracts a disproportionate percentage of the disabled traveller market, some sort of effort to try to start complying would have been both financially and politically sound, as well as legally sound. Boardman was the first to get his priorities straight.

And we're talking relatively sane business management, not government agencies.

p.s.  I just had an AmCafe diner meal on the LSL last weekend, and it wasn't great, but it was still a dinner in the diner.  Nothing could be finer.

Can't eat it because I've spent four years trying to get them to divulge ingredients lists, which is ridiculous, since this should be a trivial thing to do. I'm writing to the President and Board tomorrow (Post Office is closed today).

Edited by neroden, 09 October 2017 - 08:40 AM.

--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#783 Big Iron

Big Iron

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:31 PM

The numbers 27 and 0 come to mind for some reason. :D

Oh hush!

Rocco has the Hens pointed in the right direction.  As a grad of another CAA school I can say I'm glad that UD will be back in the mix soon. I've enjoyed many great JMU-UD games over the years, especially during the Flacco era.  Ask Ryan if the numbers 26 and 16 ring any bells  :o

Edited by Big Iron, 09 October 2017 - 12:54 PM.

Trains Ridden: Broadway Limited (3), Capitol Limited (10), Cardinal (James Whitcomb Riley) (4) , Lake Shore Ltd. (4), Silver Star (5), Night Owl (3), Montrealer (2), Illinois Zephyr (10), Palmetto (2)

#784 JayPea

JayPea

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,558 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography, reading. And any combination thereof. :)

Posted 09 October 2017 - 04:29 PM

The numbers I like are "2011" and "20" and "19". ;)
Amtrak miles traveled: 85410
Pre-Amtrak miles traveled:8478
Bustitution miles traveled:450
States traveled through on Amtrak: 44

#785 Big Iron

Big Iron

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 05:00 PM

I can see why.  Mine is 2017 and 28 and 14.  

Trains Ridden: Broadway Limited (3), Capitol Limited (10), Cardinal (James Whitcomb Riley) (4) , Lake Shore Ltd. (4), Silver Star (5), Night Owl (3), Montrealer (2), Illinois Zephyr (10), Palmetto (2)

#786 cpotisch

cpotisch

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cars, Politics

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:13 PM

What connection does

What connection does this have to Viewliners?

Routes: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

#787 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,656 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:27 PM

What connection does

The thread has derailed...that's the only connection.  ;)

#788 daybeers

daybeers

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Interests:Music, Singing, Computers, Stained Glass, Photography, Traveling, Running

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:57 PM

There isn't one. I think they're talking about the scores of University of Delaware football games.

Amtrak travel so far: only 9,870 miles: Springfield Shuttle (11), Northeast Regional (24), Acela (1), Lake Shore Limited (2), Pennsylvanian (2), Capitol Limited (1)

Ambus mileage (3 trips): 108

Other rail transit: WMATA (~830 miles), Metra, CTA, MTA, MBTA, Metro-North

#789 Ngotwalt

Ngotwalt

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 11:14 PM

I will rerail this topic, I have heard of or seen eye witness accounts of Indianapolis, Charleston, and Columbia being in service. Additionally I have heard at least Boston, Baton Rouge, and Augusta are also currently in service, we may be close to seeing enough VDs (I know, terrible abbreviation) take over the Crescent.
Cheers,
Nick
Amtrak mileage, who knows? Approximately 250,000 miles. Keystones, Pennsylvanian, Three Rivers, Broadway Limited, Capitol Limited, Lake Shore Limited (NYC&BOS), Regionals, Acela Express, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Palmetto, Auto Train, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, California Zephyr, Desert Wind, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder (SEA&PDX), Coast Starlight, Cascades, Wolverines, the International, the Maple Leaf, Adirondack, Ethan Allen Express, Downeaster, and Surfliners.
Outside the US, VIA: The Canadian, The Ocean, The Corridor QC to Sarnia; Rocky Mountaineer; Western Europe: The Deerstalker (London-Inverness), IC125s, IC225s, Pendolinos, Eurostars, TGV, Thalys, CNL's Pollux (Amsterdam-Munich), Glacier Express, Ave (BCN-Madrid), RZD Moscow-Chita train, Astrakhan-Volgograd train.

#790 cpotisch

cpotisch

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 12:18 PM

Haven't seen Atlanta in a while, though I was on it on back in June (SM). Based on youtube videos and testimony on this forum. I know that Annapolis, Columbia, Baton Rouge, and Indianapolis are currently on the SM. Augusta and Boston seem to be on the Crescent.

Routes: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

#791 A Voice

A Voice

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 12:45 PM

Per the October update over at On-Track-On-Line, there are now just eight Heritage dining cars still in service, and (at least on paper) also eight Viewliner II dining cars available.  

Open question is just now many of the Viewliners are actually serviceable at any given moment.  

#792 cpotisch

cpotisch

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 06:05 PM

What did happen to Atlanta? Haven't seen it anywhere in the past two months.

#793 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,137 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 06:57 PM

Charleston diner is on today's (10/12/17) 98.  (as an aside, 98 has had some bad luck today.  We are dwelling somewhere in Seminole County waiting for a new crew since our crew timed out.  There was a CSX freight derailment south of Sebring that delayed 98 into Sebring, and other central Florida cities.  We departed Orlando 4:55 late.)

Amtrak miles: 227,873; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion, Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle, Missouri River Runner, Acela Express, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, NE Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, Empire Service, Sunset Limited, San Joaquin, Capitol Corridor, Pennsylvanian, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Ethan Allen Express, AEM-7 Excursion, Pacific Surfliner, Palmetto.  VIA miles: 4,584; Routes: The Canadian, Ocean; Alaska RR Denali Star: 356 miles

#794 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,224 posts
  • Interests:Riding Trains Often!!

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:16 PM

Charleston diner is on today's (10/12/17) 98.  (as an aside, 98 has had some bad luck today.  We are dwelling somewhere in Seminole County waiting for a new crew since our crew timed out.  There was a CSX freight derailment south of Sebring that delayed 98 into Sebring, and other central Florida cities.  We departed Orlando 4:55 late.)

You get more train ride for your money.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

#795 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,411 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:17 PM

#98 now shown as 6+ Hours down in Deland. How far are you going Penny?
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#796 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,137 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:23 PM

#98 now shown as 6+ Hours down in Deland. How far are you going Penny?

I am going to NYC for the Autumn Express, so no connection issues for me.  I think the lunch I did not get today, I will get tomorrow.  There is a great crew on the train and I am enjoying the ride.  I will see some cities in daylight that I ordinarily do not see on 98.  It is almost like taking a different train (an early 92 on the A line). 

Amtrak miles: 227,873; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion, Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle, Missouri River Runner, Acela Express, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, NE Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, Empire Service, Sunset Limited, San Joaquin, Capitol Corridor, Pennsylvanian, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Ethan Allen Express, AEM-7 Excursion, Pacific Surfliner, Palmetto.  VIA miles: 4,584; Routes: The Canadian, Ocean; Alaska RR Denali Star: 356 miles

#797 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,137 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:24 PM

You get more train ride for your money.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

:)

#798 cpotisch

cpotisch

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 08:31 AM

You were on 98 with Charleston?

#799 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,137 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 08:56 PM

You were on 98 with Charleston?

yes.  Thursday's (10/12) Silver Meteor.

#800 sechs

sechs

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,148 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:26 AM

Does anyone have any new information on topic?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users