Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Viewliner II - Part 2 - Production and Delivery

• Please log in to reply
651 replies to this topic

#641 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,365 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:16 PM

:(  I worked from home today, so didn't get to my usual spot and didn't think to go to a spot near my home.  Sorry, TR7, I have failed this mission.  :P

2011: Jun: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // Nov: WIL=>WAS=>CHI=>PRO (NER=>CL=>CZ)
2012: Apr: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // May(NTD): WIL=>PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>PAO=>PHL (Keystone) // Aug: WIL=>WAS (NER) / BWI=>WIL (NER) // Oct(Gathering): PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>HAR=>PHL (Keystone) / SEPTA, NJT, PATCO, River Line, Princeton Dinky
2013: May(NTD): WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct (Gathering): WIL=>CHI (Card) / CHI=>MKE=>GLN=>CHI() / CHI=>JOL=>CHI () / CHI=>WIL(CL=>NER) / CTA, Metra. SEPTA (WIL=>NRK) // Nov:  PHL=>PHL (Autumn Express) 
2014: May(NTD):  WIL=>PHL=>WIL(NER) // May:  WIL=>BOS=>WIL(NER) day trip

2014: Oct(Gathering): WIL=>NYP=>TOL(pd-NER=>LSL) / TOL=>CHI=>LAX=>EMY(pts-LSL=>SWC=>CS) / EMY=>CHI=>TOL (pts-CZ-CL) / TOL=>WAS=>WIL(pd-CL=>NER)
2015: May: CHI=>CIN(pd-Card) / CIN=>WIL(pts Card)
2015;  Oct(Gathering):  WIL=>WAS(Acela) / ALX=>WAS(NER) / WAS=>BAL(Acela) / WAS=>WIL(NER)

2016: Mar: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct:  WIL=>NYP=>NYP=>WIL (Autumn Express) 

#642 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,453 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted Yesterday, 09:13 PM

Church meeting, same failure here. :(

Looking at these photos, it appears that no work is being done.  They mystery is on going.

How exactly can you draw that conclusion from those photographs?
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#643 Amtrak706

Amtrak706

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted Today, 09:43 AM

Church meeting, same failure here. :(

Looking at these photos, it appears that no work is being done.  They mystery is on going.

How exactly can you draw that conclusion from those photographs?

I took those photos this Sunday, so work *could* be going on during the week.

#644 StriderGDM

StriderGDM

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted Today, 10:09 AM

In addition, shells sitting outside, says nothing about work being done inside. My understanding is a lot (if not all?) shells are complete. It's the interior work that is slowing things down.

In fact I'd honestly be more worried if where were no shells outside.

#645 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted Today, 10:13 AM

I agree. Work is clearly not being done on the car bodies that are sitting out in car body storage land, likely waiting for an open bay in the factory where the cars you can't see are being outfitted.

Theory: They built the bodies first in one batch (which is a distinct process) and then after delivering varying prototypes, then initiated outfitting bodies. Those all look like sleepers to me, and they are currently working on diners.

Why do people act with such desperation to see something going wrong? Is it what you want? That is a picture grouping of a bunch of empty car shells in a storage yard. It is not a picture of an empty or idle factory. If you see a time stamped photo of the empty employee parking lot at 2PM on a Tuesday, that would be a lot more suggestive than this.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#646 Amtrak706

Amtrak706

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted Today, 10:59 AM

I agree. Work is clearly not being done on the car bodies that are sitting out in car body storage land, likely waiting for an open bay in the factory where the cars you can't see are being outfitted.
Theory: They built the bodies first in one batch (which is a distinct process) and then after delivering varying prototypes, then initiated outfitting bodies. Those all look like sleepers to me, and they are currently working on diners.
Why do people act with such desperation to see something going wrong? Is it what you want? That is a picture grouping of a bunch of empty car shells in a storage yard. It is not a picture of an empty or idle factory. If you see a time stamped photo of the empty employee parking lot at 2PM on a Tuesday, that would be a lot more suggestive than this.

I thought it might be something like that, but I was just curious if anyone knew for sure. I just found it odd that they would make so many sleeper shells before the bulk of the diners are done. Maybe the rest of the diner shells are in the hangar.

Also, I’m pretty sure the second part of this response was directed at the other poster, but just to be clear, I never attempted to make that point, nor do I even believe it. I am simply curious about CAF’s production strategy and how that relates to what I saw this Sunday.

#647 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

Posted Today, 01:42 PM

Making shells involves cutting forming and welding, that is usually a different set of people in a different location than would be doing the other work. Many railcars (not these) have even had shells delivered from fabrication points in other countries.

#648 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,764 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted Today, 01:53 PM

Making shells involves cutting forming and welding, that is usually a different set of people in a different location than would be doing the other work. Many railcars (not these) have even had shells delivered from fabrication points in other countries.

Like the Silverliner Vs for example.

#649 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

Posted Today, 02:16 PM

Sure. It is entirely reasonable to build shells at whatever rate makes sense, and free up that portion of the operation for another project.  

#650 Cho Cho Charlie

Cho Cho Charlie

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Starships

Posted Today, 05:46 PM

In addition, shells sitting outside, says nothing about work being done inside. My understanding is a lot (if not all?) shells are complete. It's the interior work that is slowing things down.

What bothers me is that it appears that the shells have temporary trucks? I assume Amtrak didn't specify those baby blue trucks. :D

If my memory is still even partially working, there was a problem with a company that supplies the trucks (or a major part of them?) going bankrupted. If these shells do indeed lack their final trucks at this time, that might mean that this supplier problem hasn't been resolved yet.
Me

Proud supporter of the Trails to Rails program.

#651 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

Posted Today, 05:55 PM

It is not uncommon in today's manufacturing to have major parts arrive right before you need them (just in time inventory) You don't have to store them, and it is usually a factor in payment scheduling. Putting them on temps to move them out of the building makes sense regardless of whether the permanent truck situation is resolved or not.

#652 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts

Posted Today, 10:18 PM

This poster is also wondering about the truck problems.  Not only V-2 cars may have truck problems but many MPR reports mention that P-42 overhauls have been delayed for replacement trucks.  Same builder for both or separate vendors ?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 1 anonymous users